May 2020 Moms

Hello! Drop your top baby name choices here!

Re: Hello! Drop your top baby name choices here!

• @catem07 DS has a daycare teacher name Mia and she pronounces it like "my-ah" so I think those two names get mixed up/interchanged a lot.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @pirateduck NY lets you, my little brother has 2 middle names. And his name is longer I believe the reg is about name length.
  • Loading the player...
  • @splashmountain I'm with @catem07 that I would pronounce this in my head as Mia, but I think either way is a pretty sounding name 
  • @catem07 and @pirateduck that's kind of what I was thinking. But honestly, my name is mispronounced ALL THE TIME and while it's sometimes annoying, it's not that bad. We did consider Mya too, so we'll see what we decide. 
  • Today is day 2 back with students after break, and they have already suggested the names Trevyr (my husband's name is Trevor and they were trying to feminize it) and Britneigh (with that spelling). :D
  • Ahh guys send help.  I think MH and I agreed on a first name, but he's being a PITA about a middle name.  The best one he's suggested so far is Brady, which sounds good and works well with the first name we picked and our last name, buuuuut the issue is we live in New England, where it's super common right now because of Tom Brady, so people will inevitably ask me if it's after him, which it's not, because........ it's our former dog's name.  :lol:  So that's a no-go, obviously, but it's the best of the names he has come up with so far, and I told him he could (mostly) pick the middle name this time around.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Nothing wrong with Tom Brady (clearly I’m a Pats fan lol). What about something staying in that area like Braden or something similar?
  • @shamrocandroll I bet you can find something with a similar sound, Bradly, Brandon, Randy, Caden, something with those As and Ds.
  • @mamaj1220 hahaha, we're Pats fans too.  My point is that people will assume it's after Tom Brady, which would be less embarrassing than the fact that it would actually be after our late dog.  MH and that dog had a bond like no other two living creatures have ever had or ever will have.  But I'm not naming my kid after the dog.  :lol:  @pirateduck We really want to use a family name that has meaning to it.  His two ideas were Francis and Brady.  Francis was his grandfather, who I never met, and I also had a huuuuge drawn out harassment case with a coworker named Francis (as did 8 other women) at my last company, and so I just can't bear using it as a middle name.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @mokay19 right?! :D I vetoed both of those hard, lol.
  • We now have a new name on the table that we are mulling over...

Raven

We don't have any personal associations with the name, so that's a start.
  • @pirateduck Raven is cute!!! And it seems you like birds, so that sounds like a good fit!
  • My husband and I love our neighborhood ravens :)
  • mokay19 said:
    @soprano19 I immediately pictured a horse after reading “Britneigh” 😬
    So much this, and a stuck up nasty tempered mare at that!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @thepretzelchick I love the name Milo, it’s so sweet. It was my grandpas’s name. ❤️ 
  • Now that we found out baby is a girl I really don’t know what to name her? We have a couple names we are considering but I wouldn’t say I love them. I love DD1’s name, Arabella, and I am hoping to find a name I love just as much. I would love to hear any suggestions. I am trying to stay away from another A first initial and tend to prefer names that are feminine and elegant. We also have a lot of Spanish speakers in our family so it would be nice to find a name that also sounds pretty in Spanish. 
  • @pb0801 what about names like Camilla, Celia, Carmella, etc.  there are a bunch with that sound.  That’s just what came to mind based on what you said.  We’ve been hitting the girls names in the book pretty heavy lately.  We’ve got a bunch we both think are ok, but aren’t in love with any yet either.
  • @pirateduck thanks for the suggestions. Camila is actually one of the names we have been considering. I also like Catalina but not sure if I am completely sold yet. We need to start hitting some baby name books soon! I have mostly been looking on list online and just downloaded an app. 
  • @thepretzelchick my first is Milo. I know it’s becoming more popular but we’ve never met another in real life. 
  • My husband has been putting a lot of Viking names on the list! Also greek names.  I'm not sold on anything!  
  • @momma2oneofeach37 we keep looking at Greek names too, but I haven't been thrilled with most of them.  My latest, Theodora, I believe is Greek as well, though that's not how I ended there.  I'm not sure we've looked at Viking names, maybe that is next...  hmm...
  • Boy or girl?  Boy here we have Tadhg, Bjorn, Aric, Aros and Olin on the list.  But I think Torin is a front runner at the moment.  I also love Tate/Tait, Gage and Dax.  I tend to go for the irish/Gaelic names. 
  • We are tentatively thinking Emilia Rhiannon (nn Emmy) and Tzipporah Adalia (nn Tess), but I really don't feel like I can name them for certain until they're here. DH is okay with that but really wants to have a "default" so we're not just staring at them going "uhhhhh..." for like a week.
  • @louessbee I've never heard of Tess as a nn for tzipporah before but I like it!
  • We had a really hard time naming DD and didn’t settle on Eleanor until after she was a few hours old, so I knew we would struggle to name another girl. DH hates pretty much everything. We got a baby name app where you can swipe names, and after 20mins or so he had over 700 ruled out and maybe 5 possible okay names. The only name we really have agreed upon is Amelia, and while we both like it, I just wish it were a little less popular. Because DS also has an E name, everyone asks if we will go with another E name, but I never really meant for it to be a theme and don’t really want to do another E

Photobucket imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @louessbee how do you pronounce those names? And where are they from? And I totally agree with going in with a couple choices “just in case” haha your never know how you’ll feel after the babies have exited! 😄
  • @m6agua Hah that's a really great point. I was born in 88 in NJ. 1485 Jessicas. In 2018 the most popular name was Emma but there were only 500. Would be interesting to know how many total births for each year (which I'm sure I could find and probably will look for later)
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Getting caught up on the last month of this...

We had two Siobans in my high school. One spelled Sioban and the other Shivahn if it wasn't for those two I would have no idea how to pronounce it either. 

@shamrocandroll MH wants to name baby after his dog as well. 

We are team green and we toss names back and forth while we drive to appointments. We were lucky DD was a girl because we had a girl name we were certain of. 6 months prior to her birth my cousin had a boy and took the name we were certain of for a boy so then we got lost on boy names.

We don't share our names with anyone especially family because they are so judgmental and I find once the baby is here and named they won't say anything.

Girl names we're tossing around:
    MH loves Emma - I don't because it's so popular right now and his father had a french maid statue that he called Emma and I don't like naming our daughter after that. 

We both like Maggie - We'd name her Magnolia, but MH is concerned we will have a Maddie and a Maggie - I like Magnolia because it's the tree that my grandmother had in her front yard and we played on it as a kid it reminds me so much of her - For middle names I liked Magnolia Marie (My middle name is Marie and so are many of my cousins because it's my greatgrandmothers name) but MH just informed me he wants Marie because it's his mothers middle name (legally she has no middle name, but he said she picked this for herself at some point?) and I don't want to name my child after his mother. MH threw out the middle name Ruth in honor of my grandmother also my favorite cousin is also named Ruth but I feel greedy naming baby Magnolia Ruth when for me both names honor my grandmother. 

Boy Names: 

Russell will be the middle name after FIL who passed 5 years ago, MHs middle name is his paternal grandfather, and FILs middle name is his paternal grandfather so he wants to do the same. 

DD was going to be Finnian (Finn) Russell if she was a boy, MH still likes this but is leaning away from Finnian but really likes Finn, I don't like names that don't have a long name for the nickname so I suggested another form for Finn but he didn't like any of those. 

Lukas (Luke) Russell - After our (my husbands) dog we had to put him down when DD was 8 weeks old and it absolutely destroyed MH. He's a little weary on the name though because he's thinking he might want to name another dog the same thing. 

Theodore (Theo) - MH just likes it 

Archibald (Archer)  - His family tree started with an Archibald coming over from Ireland and many generations after had the name. I think it's pretty cool but MH thinks that people will call him Archie and he doesn't like that. 
  • Anyone have any suggestions for longer girl names that can be broken up? I really like names like Annabelle (husband doesn't like this one). I like the versatility in that she can go by her full name or Anna or Belle. 

We're pretty stuck on Gwendolyn right now but I am not completely sold. I again like the go by her full name or Gwen or Lynn. 
  • Right now I think our top three are Diego, Isaiah, and Asher. The middle name will be Rosario (after my grandfather). I'm all in on Diego but our last name ends in an 'o' so I feel like triple 'o' sound it a lot to handle. DS has a strong Hebrew name and I really like Asher to stick with another Hebrew name, but I'm not 100% sold -  think Asher is MHs favorite right now 
  • @doctorcrime

Jacquelyn --- Jackie or Lynn
    Elizabeth ---- Eliza, Liz, or Beth
    Annmarie 
    Gabrielle - Gabby, Bri, or Birelle

• @m6agua I had no idea we could look up names like that!  I'm kinda excited to give it a try.
  • pirateduckpirateduck member
    edited January 2020
    @jhysmath my mom has the middle name Ann that she apparently gave herself at some point as well.  I'm not 100% clear on this, but I think it had something to do with being raised Catholic (I was not, so again, not totally clear) and taking the name of a saint as a middle name at catechism.  
  • We think we have decided on a name. First name for sure, middle name is still not concrete but we both like it. 

Vada Thais. Thais pronounced Th-ay-is 
  • @mokay19 For Tzipporah, it's like the start of 'tsar' or 'czar' - a Z sound with a soft S. Tzipporah is Hebrew, it's a biblical name. Emilia is like Emily but a different ending. Adalia like 'a-day-lee-uh', and Rhiannon like 'rhee-ann-non' (I'm bad at phonetic spelling, sorry).

DH wanted the girls to be Emmy and Ada (for Emmy Noether and Ada Lovelace, important scientists). I wanted at least one biblical name because that's a thing in DH's family, and Rhiannon is a nod to my love of Fleetwood Mac. We basically each get a first and a middle name in this scenario.