May 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight - Breast Pumps and Accessories

2»

Re: Product Spotlight - Breast Pumps and Accessories

• @jhysmath I'm strongly considering the luna. I still have my S1 so I figure why not try this one? For me the only bummer is that one of the benefits of the luna is its size, but there's no battery pack so I'd be worried to rely on it exclusively while traveling since I have pumped in bathrooms, etc., before.
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07 FYI if you're looking into getting a pump out of pocket I was checking this the other day and you can use buy buy baby's 20% off coupon on pumps too so it worked out that it would be cheaper to buy the S1 on Buy Buy Baby for me even more so than using Amazon's 15% registry completion discount.  Just something to keep in mind :)

• Loading the player...
  • Do you guys have to call your insurance company to find out what kind of pumps are covered. I was hoping it was in my plan benefits document, but all it says is that lactation supplies are covered, including breast pump rentals. I'm really hoping they would just send me one and not make me rent one. I already have a Spectra 2 that I paid OOP for, so a new one would be just for work. But I'm not into renting one when I have my own.
  • @ruby696 You can check on aeroflow.com. Make an account and give your insurance info, then it will show you which pumps you can get for what price (if your insurance goes through them; I have a Cigna plan that does). 

• @catem07 My health insurance isn't even an option. I'll call to make sure, but I guess that tells me what I need to know. Lame.
  • @ruby696 if you call your insurance company they probably will give you a 3rd party company to contact. Last time I called and they gave me the contact info for Edge Park, Byram, etc. Also the Aeroflow suggestion is a newer third party. 
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @ruby696 My insurance doesn't go through Aeroflow. I'm sure they offer something! 
  • @ruby696
    You can find who your insurance company works with for durable medical supplies and work with that company they will tell you what is covered or not for their company. I went with Aeroflow because they work with most insurance companies and will do most of the work for you. I provided my insurance information they checked with my company, and then I provided my Midwife's information and they did everything to contact them and work on the prescription needed to order the pump. They will also do the work needed to get the resupply every 60-90 days of parts if your company allows for that as well. These DMEs do really well at taking most of the work out of everything for you. 

@catem07
    I figured I could buy an external battery pack if needed that would work with it. With my S2 I bought a car adapter off of amazon easily and looked into the battery packs as well but never bought one because I didn't need it and always was able to find an outlet. This time around I might buy one just because I don't think I won't be able to find a location as easily. I think the packs are about $30-50 on amazon. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Smarkey-Portable-Battery-Outdoor-Travelling/dp/B071P6T32T/ref=sr_1_8_sspa?keywords=12v+external+battery+for+pumps&qid=1579629808&s=baby-products&sr=1-8-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySkc4V0lES1BZMVRHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTcwNjIwRlJKSE84QU5MMk1EJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDI4NTcxRFBCRzlDMFlTT1lZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
  • @ruby696 I called them because they go through vendors and said I would need documentation of pregnancy (which I laughed at because you all see the visits to my OB and they are listed as prenatal) and they were able to send me the list of in network vendors that they will work with. 
  • I forget who mentioned it here, but I’ve also heard from some friends that the pump offered through Kaiser isn’t great. I decided to go with the Spectra after my coworker gave me a tutorial of hers before she had to pump. But now I may change my mind...

For those of you with Kaiser, I just learned that they now offer Medela single or dual pumps. You’ll have to check if you qualify but at least there’s an option for a better brand. I still have the Spectra on my registry, but now I think if I don’t get it then I’ll just get the Medela free through Kaiser.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • catem07catem07 member
    edited January 2020
    Edited: misread a post

• @drkoyya from all the research I've done the Medela is very comparable to the spectra in use the only difference is it isn't a closed system so you need to be cautious on getting milk in the tubing if you do make sure you dry them out before pumping again so you don't get mold in the motor. 

I don't know much about Kaiser, but do they allow you to "upgrade" to the spectra and pay a little more?  My insurance will allow me to "upgrade" to the spectra S1 even though I can get the S2 for free. 
  • @drkoyya I think it was me that mentioned it... I got the Ameda through Kaiser when I had DD and it wasn’t very good. I will look into the Medela option though. Thanks for the heads up!
  • @drkoyya and @soprano19 I used the medela double pump with DS - pumped religiously 4x a day for a full year and it worked great - I never had a single issue! I also really liked the convenience that medela accessories are sold everywhere - if I forgot a piece or something I could run out during my lunch break to the closest walgreens or whatever and buy it if needed. 

I also have Kaiser, but I haven't looked into breast pumps yet. I want to get a new one since my medela pump has been sitting and collecting dust for 4 years now, but I'll probably just go with the same if it's an option. 
  • I had a Medela with DS and I liked it, but it was one that my cousin gave me (I bought all new tubing etc) and the motor wasn't the best so I am leaning towards the spectra. 
  • I just ordered the Luna through Aeroflow. I figure the biggest negative to it is no battery power, but otherwise I would have ordered the S2 which also has no battery power, and I still have my old S1 anyway. Also was happy to discover I get resupply through my insurance which I didn't have last time.

• I just got the madela, I was given a hand me down from a relative last time and it didn't work for me, but I didn't have good milk production with DS so it was either that or just a cheapy pump.  I also just ordered the Haakaa hand pump from amazon.  The nurse that taught my breastfeeding class really recommended them.