Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

13 month old, possible Autism??

My wife and I are becoming increasingly concerned about our 13-month-old daughter in regard to mental development and possible Autism. The biggest red flag is that 99% of the time, she simply does not acknowledge us when we call her name. She babbles quite a bit but not really intentionally saying many words. Her best attempt at words is saying "ball" or at least her version of it. She will also something attempt waving and saying "buh bye". Mama and Dada are occasional as well and not sure its often intentional on her part.

She does point and reach sometimes indicating something shes interested in. She enjoys playing a version of peek a boo where she will see me hide behind something and she excitedly hustles over to get me laughing and smiling as she finds me. She also recently started sharing her food as she wants me to eat it which is good. Physically her motor skills are excellent, great on her feet and playing with her toys. She understands the concept of trying to put certain toys in their slots etc.

Nonetheless, the lack of her responsiveness to her name at this stage is a huge red flag. I would like to see her get a little better and more consistent saying a few words as well. Anyone experience the same stuff with their 13-month-old and how did it turn out?

Re: 13 month old, possible Autism??

• Hi! So I helped my mom raise my nephew literally from the time he was two days old, he was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3 I believe he is 10 now but from everything that I can remember at that young of an age his motor skills were very off and he ended up doing 4 days a week for almost four years of occupational therapy and speech therapy which did help him in the long run but I feel like at 13 months old it's a little bit hard to tell until he's closer to 2 because once he was closer to 2 we realized that he was supposed to be doing a lot more than he was able to do and we weren't able to do any testing for it due to his mother not approving us to do it but I think that you guys should definitely keep in mind your concerns but just try working with her a little extra then you would normally I would say because she may just be having a hard time catching on to certain things she is very young so it's a really good possibility that she's just having a hard time but keep in mind that anything could change it's good for you to have an early idea of what to expect if you think your child may have autism and I hope that you guys are able to find the right doctors to help you with that diagnosis we had to go through 10 different doctors before we had someone give us the answers we knew we needed so don't give up and get multiple opinions because sometimes you need as many as you can get. Things were very hard for my nephew growing up is communication was very very minimal until he was about 6 or 7 years old if you weren't with him on a daily basis you weren't able to understand him and my mom knew that he had autism by the time he was 2 years old and like I said he wasn't diagnosed until a little bit later but just keep working with her I'm sure things will be easier to understand soon and remember you guys are always going to be good parents