C-sections

C-Section anxiety

Hi, I am pregnant with my 4th son. My first was a stillborn at 8mths and my 2nd and 3rd were induced vagina births with traumatic labors. So now I have to have a C-Section. My concerns are basically what to expect, as far as the numbing, the scarring, the healing, and any complications with the bladder. I have a very very petite frame and I’ve always had bladder issues so I have a hard time sleeping at night wondering what will happen afterwards. If anyone could give advice that would be greatly appreciated. 

Re: C-Section anxiety

• Hi! I'm pregnant with my 3rd. 1st was an emergency C, 2nd was a "planned" C, aka my doc told me he would consider a VBAC all while planning a C all along. Yea, was not good.  So in general my experience with cesarean wasnt Terrible.....but not preferred to me. I scar poorly so my scar isnt "neat". Its very lumpy and noticeable despite months and months of scar massage. I do have some numb areas. Also, it wreaks havoc on your core. As someone who used to be seriously into fitness, that was a bummer. When they say you cant drive for X amount of weeks they mean it, when they say dont lift they mean it. You don't realize how many small tasks really use your abdominals and they just take their time healing. Overall barring any complications the incision itself heals rather fast. Star performing scar massage as soon as possible. You still get all of that fun vaginal bleeding afterwards also so dont think you get to skip that part. Stock up on the heavy flow pads. Get up and walking as soon as they will allow you. I was doing laps around the floor as soon as they would let me and I only had to stay 2 days because of it. If you can think of anything else you might wanna know just ask! 
    imageimage

Beautiful Baby Jackson born 8/25/2010
    Met the LOML 11/05/2011
    Expecting the LO 5/15/2014
    Getting Married 10/19/2014

• I completely agree with MommyDay2be. I recently labored for 20hrs and had a c section because my baby was still so high and not ready to come out yet. It was a ruptured bag that brought it on. The pressure went from just a little pressure, to a bad menstrual cramp... to stabbing pain. They told me after 24 hours the risk of infection is higher because the water was protecting the baby. 

Postpartum: C-section edition.

What nobody tells you is this: The shot  in your back they give you? Yeah, they have to do it over again because you flinch from the pain. I had a spinal block and it still hurt so bad. It numbs you up good, but you still feel the tugging. By the time you get to the end of it, you are so numb you don't care if a whole group of women (thank god it was all women) see your lower half. Modesty goes completely out the window; there are so many people that have looked at you that you wonder if you ever had it at all.

But back the the numbing... Remember the numbing because it's the very last time you will feel it. Savor the before moments also; when your abdominal didn't hurt when you sneezed, cough or laugh. When it hurt less to get up out of bed that now has you inching up. Savor them and be jealous of your past self for taking advantage of it. You learn to appreciate future moments more.

You hear her cry, and such a sound shouldn't be so... wonderful. It's a *cry* but it so strong and so full of life that you can't help it. You find yourself crying too. 

From there you are wheeled back into the recovery room that you are to stay in. They put these weird inflatables on your legs, straps to keep the blood clots away. You quickly learn to hate and appreciate them, because they do their job but mannnn do they itch with the little hairs that you haven't been able to get to and the meds that make you itchy. They're idea of combatting that? More meds.

The only time when they aren't on is when you are moving around out of bed. The whole aspect of getting out of bed... honestly seems like a procedure all on it's own. Full of cursing because you're so frustrated with yourself. It's... fun. Real fun. It allll hurts to achieve by the way, but they make you go to the bathroom if you don't have your catheter in. It hurts at first, to go to the bathroom. Seriously, it feels like glass.  You can't pee, one minute the urge is there and then it's gone. When you finally do pee, it's... there's no pushing involved. It's just there... with blood. Lots of blood. Some with clots, some not. But when it does happen you are like a little kid with a sense of accomplishment... because you just proved that you can be cut open to get this little bundle of joy and still function like a semi-potty trained human being.

You don't feel like it sometimes...okayy, most of the time... but you are.

The healing all depends on nutrition. It's a BIG part of recovery and as cesarean is a major bodily trauma, it should be treated as such. Even when you feel back to normal, you're not. The biggest advice I can give you in this regard is I personally have learned that what we put into our bodies either: heal us or harm us. There is no neutral food.

I've been drinking some really good nutritious teas that have vitamins in it and don't feel sluggish anymore. I can go and make dinner without pain because of it. 

I can't comment on the "shelf" yet, but I agree. My scar is bumpy as well, and I put some vaseline on it before showering. It will take up to 6-8w to heal and about that time to get my abdominal muscles back again. (Get you a waist trainer. Disposable underwear because you will bleed if you labor at all. And reusable ice packs. It all helps.)