January 2020 Moms

Weekly Check-in Groups 3&4 (Jan 17-30) - w/o 10/7

2»

Re: Weekly Check-in Groups 3&4 (Jan 17-30) - w/o 10/7

• @cats_in_a_window , that is an amazingly detailed birth plan! I may steal some of it. My problem actually ended up being my mother begging me to get an epidural. Mayne seeing my sister give birth 4 times medicated made her freak out and forget I'd been through an unmedicated birth already? Who knows. The OB and staff completely respected my wishes. This time, I've stated to my mother, the OB, and SO unless my progress has halted, or my blood pressue is looking dangerous, NO...EPIDURAL. AND, that I would like to get up and walk around within 1 hour of delivery. My SO and OB have assured me they'll address my mother if it happens again. 
  • @FyreFlyeRush steal away!  Having care providers that are supportive of your wishes is so key to having a positive birth experience.  The main take-away I had from my first (somewhat traumatic) birth was that I will be entirely unable to advocate for myself during labor and delivery and that my care providers needed to be on the same page as me!  I had a somewhat emergent induction with my first so my OB was not on call and I got whatever random OB was at the hospital at the time.  The induction was due to severe preeclampsia, so certainly some of the interventions were warranted, but I definitely felt bullied into others that I still don't fully understand why I would have needed them.  For example, I REALLY REALLY wanted a drink of water while pushing and they wouldn't allow me to have one.  For this baby, I told DH that unless I am unconscious or being actively wheeled in for a c-section, I am being allowed to drink water no matter what!

I chose the MW practice I did because they deal mostly with unmedicated birth (~75% of their patients deliver without pain meds) so hopefully most everything I have listed on the birth plan will be routine for them.  I'm writing it out mostly for the nurses at the hospital and so I don't have to personally waive the hospital policies that I'd like to avoid in the midst of labor.
  • Loading the player...
  • marebear15marebear15 member
    edited October 2019
    @stashattack Here's a really good birth plan that lets you choose from several options. 
    As for my birth plan, I've just jotted down a few ideas that I want to talk to my doctor about. I'm doing a VBAC so they may be a little more picky about things. My hospital is a "baby friendly" hospital which means it's common practice to delay cord clamping, skin-to-skin, golden hour, do all exams in the room with mom, one nurse for both baby and mom, no nursery unless you request it, etc. 
    • labor at home until contractions are 5 minutes apart
    • use birthing tub with jets in 15-30 minute increments with monitoring in between
    • start with IV meds if I need pain management (my goal is med free this time!)
    • break my water as soon as I hit 8 cm
    • not coached to push
    Things that would be on my list but I already know my hospital does:
    • wear my own clothes (robe and nursing bra)
    • don't mention meds until I ask
    • heplock IV in forearm for freedom of movement
    • asked before baby is give a pacifier or bottle 
    • asked before any procedures, tests, or shots are administered 
    I'm now putting together a gentle c-section birth plan in case I don't go into labor on my own soon enough.
  • Maybe a birth plan thread is in order?? I think all the FTMs might benefit from that <3
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • @stashattack - Good idea! Go for it :)