May 2020 Moms
Options

Moms of Multiples - October

2»

Re: Moms of Multiples - October

• Options
    welcome and congratulations @soniabailey928

@stella_700 wow what a story. I'm about 5'3" and never knew that could be correlated with preterm labor. I'm worried about preeclampsia given my age -- I'm so glad everything turned out ok.
  • Options
    @allie456 I didn't feel like it was super dramatic but my family was pretty freaked out. The worse part was going home without them of course. Once they got to step up after getting the jaundice under control and were in a room to themselves I could sleep over and do all their care/feedings/etc. Its just one of those things that we had to get through. I'd be curious as to what actual research there is on a woman's height and preterm labor, it feels like a more anecdotal thing that a peer reviewed study.

@ruby696 My two were di-di completely as they are fraternal. Hoping to see two clear placentas for you as that is the least risky twin pregnancy. Seeing that membrane is a good thing.

Your OBs will be on top of those possible complications, but don't be afraid to say something if you feel weird. I'm praying that you all have smooth easy pregnancies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sydaussiesydaussie member
    edited October 2019
    Twins run on my husband’s side of the family and also both my mom and dad’s sides. We’re bound to have twins sometime!! I’m almost 12 weeks pregnant and have my first prenatal appointment for this pregnancy on Tuesday. I’m so excited! The midwife will figure out if she thinks there are twins, then we’d get an ultrasound if she thinks there is just to confirm. I’d still want to do a homebirth even with twins because it was so amazing with my first baby, but I know my midwife wouldn’t let me. Have any of you done a home birth with twins (obviously if you’ve had twins before)? Or know somebody who birthed twins at home?
  • Options
    hi @sydaussie, welcome! that's a lot of twins in your family. I'm curious to hear how your appointment goes.

As far as homebirths go, I think by default twins are considered high-risk. Given how quickly things can start to go dangerously wrong for both mom and babies during any delivery but particularly a high-risk one, I would be really surprised if a medical professional supported homebirth for twins. But I certainly don't have all the experience in the world.
  • Options
    Well @stella_700 you were right about nutrition being a thing. Turns out I've been eating way less than I need to be. I'm currently eating cottage cheese and yogurt as my morning snack. 🤢 I can't wait till work knows so I can walk around eating peanut butter.
  • Options
    @ruby696 I really struggled getting enough protein in my diet. My OB actually laughed at the face I made during the nutrition discussion, cause the protein amount per day sounded so undo-able for me, especially early on when nothing sounded good. Do the best that you can, my best option (cheese) caused me some issues with constipation so I couldn't always do that.
  • Options
    I'm totally sure I have not been eating enough protein either. At my nutrition consultation I could hardly stand to stay in the room -- spending an hour talking about food was so gross! And I'm not even close to the amount of water I know I should be drinking. At this point I am just assuming that with my prenatal vitamins the babies are getting what they need from me and I can worry more about food when I feel more like eating. 

I had my 9w5d u/s this morning and thankfully they are both still in there! After the bleed a couple of weeks ago I wasn't totally sure. Heartbeats are around 181 and both measuring within 3 days of dates so that's all good. I've officially graduated from my RE and can stop the PIO shots! I'll go back on Friday for an estrogen/progesterone blood check but if the placentas are doing what they should be, I'm done. Feels like a big milestone.

SCH is still there, about 27mm, so that's a bit of a worry but with every day that passes I feel like it's less of a risk.
  • Options
    @allie456 I managed to drink my 130 ounces of water yesterday and I felt like a rock star. The thought of having to do it again today (and every day) is not appealing. *sighs* I'm doing my best with nutrition/protein/complex carbs because my doctor told me I probably wouldn't be able to eat much in 3rd tri, so I needed to gain all my weight in the 1st and 2nd tri. Since I'm so small, she's worried about how long I'll be able to carry them - she thinks I'll be lucky to get to 36 weeks. My goal is 38 weeks, and I really want to avoid the NICU, so I'm gagging down all the food. I actually bought cottage cheese, which makes me gag when I'm not pregnant. 🤢
  • Options
    so my dilemma of the day is, none of my clothes fit! I'm only 10 weeks -- I can't possibly need maternity clothes already, can I? 

What is everyone else wearing?
  • Options
    @allie456 My regular clothes don't fit either. I have maternity clothes I wear on the weekend, but I've still been rubber banding my pants for work and wearing loose shirts. It's so obvious I have a bump if I wear maternity clothes and I'm trying to hide it. 
  • Options
    I wore an elastic waist skirt today that is usually pretty forgiving and I'm so uncomfortable.

I guess I'm going to A Pea In The Pod this weekend.