December 2019 Moms
Options

Working Moms - Week of 9/9

Feel free to rant and rave about your work week. 

Re: Working Moms - Week of 9/9

• Options
    I'm so proud of myself work-wise, and it's totally not for the reason you'd think. For once I listened to my body (and my husband, lol) and am putting my health first. I cut back on one of my shifts and switched availability to where I don't have to work both jobs on the same day. Phew! Seriously, though. I have always been one to work myself into the ground, so this is a major win for me :)
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Options
    lamarshalllamarshall member
    edited September 2019
    I’m super bummed and angry. For my company, you receive 12 weeks paid leave if you’ve been there for 2 years and then 26 weeks if you’ve been there for 5+ years. I thought I would be getting somewhere around 20+ weeks paid because I’ve been there for 4.5 years. But instead I only get 12 “because I haven’t hit the 5 year mark and it isn’t prorated.” 

To complicate matters, we are moving (military) around my 33 week mark and I was planning to take a 3 week sabbatical then start maternity leave at 36 weeks. I’m doing this so I don’t have to transfer locations until after maternity leave. But now, that would put me going back to work when my baby is 8 weeks (ish) IF he/she arrives on time. 

On one hand I know I should be grateful I get paid leave of any kind but also... if I waited 6 more months to get pregnant I would have THREE more paid months off!!! It just is so crazy to me! I’m baffled/angry/stressed all at the same time.

(Sorry to rant!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @stillziggysmom Yay!! So glad you're taking it a little easier!

@lamarshall Holy crap...I'd be pissed, too! 12 wks to 26 weeks is a big jump....and I know they have to draw the line somewhere, but...yeesh. Is there an appeals process? Someone you could take your case to? :\
  • Options
    @lamarshall - that really sucks. I'm so sorry!

I've been off work last week and this week because of severe nausea and vomiting again. Just got back from the doctor's today. They are trying me on another medication (I swear it's like the 20th one) and if that doesn't work they have one more to try. 

Unfortunately, if neither medication works for me, they will insist on me being hooked up to an IV constantly in order to make sure I'm hydrated and getting my prenatal vitamins and blood pressure medication. 

I feel like crying because I'm almost certain I'm going to lose my job over this pregnancy. My baby and both of our health is obviously more important to me then my job. But it took me a really long time to find something I love doing and even longer to find a place I love working at with coworkers I love. Sure it doesn't pay much and the benefits suck. But the other things make it the best job I've ever had and I longest I've ever worked for a company. I feel cheated out of it because this pregnancy has been harder then I ever imagined it could be.
  • Options
    so long story short our online new hire orientations across the campus I work on have been getting restructured all summer. I've been told now 4 times that auto e-mails to students (my group) that have to complete the orientation would be turned on by X date (date always a moving target). On the 30th I was promised that on the 2nd they would for sure be turned on... apparently they haven't been, and today I found out that it's going to be at least another 2 weeks because "they" (the Director of HR) wants to time it with a communication going out to staff and faculty. Cool - that helps me 0 amount. I asked why I'm just now finding out about this and why I haven't been invited to a single meeting about it even though I'm 1/3 of the managers involved, and oversee the orientation of more than 50% of the participants. I got no response and still no invite. I seriously have 200 students needing to complete their orientation and were told they would be getting an e-mail about it, and another 70 that I'm waiting to input into the system to officially hire! The response I got was, "Well, you should have been sending them individual e-mails." How the F am I supposed to be doing that, if I don't know I'm supposed to be?! Then she follows up with "I would really appreciate it if you'd keep this conversation confidential, you'll do that right?" Like seriously? How am I supposed to keep this confidential when 1. I now have to tell my staff not to be telling student workers they are going to receive an e-mail about orientation and NOT have my boss question why? 
  • Options
    @mrszoobear I'm sorry for what you're going through.  It must be very stressful to worry about job security at a time like this.  I know it might not seem like it, but my experience has been that sometimes losing a job is a blessing in disguise.  I was laid off once and ended up falling into a career that makes me way happier.  I hope the same for you.  But for the time being, the situation really stinks.😞
  • Options
    My principal has a new initiative where she observes in every classroom for an hour a week.  It's annoying.  Too much.  I've been teaching for 8 years and I don't need that level of "support".  Feels like she's breathing down my neck.
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 - thanks for the support ❤ Your principal sounds like a micromanager. Maybe she is doing it because a few teachers really do need it and it would be too obvious if she didn't observe everyone? Otherwise, hopefully she backs off soon. 
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 how on earth does your principal have this much time?!? The schools I've worked at,  the principal would never have this much time. 

@Stac928 maybe they are getting pressure to prove the benefit is worth the cost so they want to show that a high %age of staff is using it?
  • Options
    @bookworm492 they are.  I'm just irritated because we are overworked, understaffed, and way underpaid (like literally ranked 50th in the nation for state employee compensation..an outside consultant has recently recommended a 35% pay raise for my job classification just to get close to competitive).  Our workloads are currently outrageous so we have no time for this, and we aren't allowed to access it during work hours anyway even if we could.  So now they are pressuring us to give up time at home to do these classes because they can then count it as a bigger part of the compensation package and not just fork over a fair salary (or hell a closer to fair salary).  I would rather have $25/month than this benefit.  And I'm pregnant and surly.  So I'm not being entirely reasonable. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• Options
    @Stac928 oh yikes.  Ok yes this post adds a lot more info to the picture. Yeah I would just want the extra cash as well in that situation. 
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 @bookworm492 My thoughts exactly!! Last year neither my principal NOR my vice principal made it into my room except for the required observations, and that was the minimum time required! AND it was my first year in their building! I can't imagine how a principal could have so much time!
  • Options
    @ninrms @bookworm492 To clarify, we have 3 administrators, and they split up the rooms (15) are are each visiting one room daily for an hour, which means an hour a week for each room.  I'm hoping they won't be able to keep up that schedule and it will fall by the wayside soon.  But she was definitely in today!