January 2020 Moms

Thoughts on sharing baby on fb?

Hi everyone! My name is Rachel, my hubby and I are expecting our first mid January. I was wondering what you all thought about how much you want to share now and in the future about your kiddos on social media? We are thinking about doing an email to family once in a while after baby comes with photos, etc. That way all my out of state family stays in the loop but there is some more privacy.

I just had something happen that got me so upset- last night I called my grandparents to tell them the gender and what name we had picked out (its a family name), and without asking me my grandmother posted it on her facebook timeline. We hadnt told anyone  but close family and friends. I've since asked her to take it down, but it still feels like such a bummer that a bunch of our family plus a bunch of strangers found out our babys name from Facebook instead of me. It was my news to share. 

Has anyone else out there had problems with family overstepping boundaries? I wish I would have laid ground rules earlier but I never thought it would be needed!

Re: Thoughts on sharing baby on fb?

• Hi and welcome! We don’t do one off posts here as it clogs up the board and we like to keep things organized. We’d love for you to join us so please head over to the “read first board organization” thread to learn how we do things here, intro into the introduction thread and read the knottie usernames thread to learn how to change your username. This question would have been great in the question thread. 

When I was pregnant with ds I had to speak to my parents about internet safety and what needed and didn’t need to be posted on fb. My father shared something I posted on my page about my son and one of his fb friends then shared it. I deleted the post as I had no idea who this person was or who they were friends with. This time around my MIL posted I was pregnant without permission and I had to ask her to take it down as with my history it is not something I want shared very early and it is not her news to share. My sister and I had to talk about our expectations with our family. It’s not the same as it was when our parents had babies. There is so much more to worry about with security now. Don’t hesitate to tell your family what you expect of them.