March 2020 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    hlin89hlin89 member
    edited August 2019
    @julimi12 I've not really heard of ppl shortening Violet to Viol, so I don't see it as a problem. Most just go all the way to "Vi"
  • Options
    keeksie84 our two top girl names are June and Louise. We also like Rose and Georgia. 

Girls: June, Louise, Rose, and Georgia
    Boys: Arthur, Calvin and Hugo

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mrsc918 Mila was on our list (of 2 acceptable girls names). But DH recently said no and I’m not sure if he’ll change his mind, so if we have a girl it will be another super common name bc we’re basic in this household. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @silverhope aw man! There are several names I love and DH nixed!! It’s such a bummer!! 
  • Options
    @dunder_mifflin I love the names Mae and Marlow! 

@aprileia I also love Mabel for an M name. Unfortunately for me, my husband vetoed it.

@jenep We obviously have exceptional taste, lol! I love Hugo for a boy name. Our top was Jude because I have a weird love of the "oo" sound, hence June and Louise. 
  • Options
    @keeksie84 we love Louise too! We ended up giving our daughter that for a middle name instead, just in case we didn’t have anymore little ladies.

I have a much easier time thinking of names for girls, and have no problem sharing them all because I really don’t care if you name your kids the same thing.

Marlowe (Mars as a nickname)
    Lucy
    Kate
    Clementine (Lemon as a nickname)
    Greta
    Shiloh

Boys:
    Jack (I know, so popular wahhh)
    Jensen
    Hans (family name that I find hilarious and charming)
  • Options
    I’m feeling back to square one on names now that we know the sex. But I’d like an opinion on a name. 

Darcy (for a boy) 

thoughts? I know it’s different. But here’s my reasoning. Pride and Prejudice is my absolute favorite book of all time. And obviously Mr. Darcy was my first love 😂. His first name is Fitzwilliam, which is not on my name list nor will it ever be! I’m not even sure H would like the name Darcy. But I want some opinions regardless. 

• Options
    @zetuslapetus DS is Jack. We have 4 Jacks in his library time. 2 girls from my graduating class in HS (class <200) named their son Jack. It is so much more popular than I initially thought.

I think DS will probably end up going by his middle or last name as he gets bigger (both are cool names actually ha—my maiden name is his mid name and it’s an awesome name and our fam last name is a good name to go by too). But Jack was the name DH and I agreed upon.

If we have a girl, the only name we agree on is also extremely common, but it is what it is. 

• Options
    @miss.sally the only Darcy I know is a girl so I have to be honest to be it seems feminine. But i may be the only one who thinks that!

What about William?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    @laurenm2123 that was kinda my thought also. But I don’t know if it’s a feminine name that a boy could rock? I feel like so many names are crossing those boundaries now and I love that. 
  • Options
    @miss.sally yes names are definitely changing and so many are becoming more unisex. Honestly, i thought Darcy was an interesting name for a girl so it’s certainly doesn’t scream girl in my book by any means. I think it is a definite possibility for a boy too. I wonder about giving him a longer name with a nickname Darcy? That’s another possibility too.

My daughters name is slightly unique and I loved coming in here for opinions to see if I could deal with said opinions, so i tend to be overly honest because I appreciate it. 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    @laurenm2123 I appreciate the honesty also!! I love getting suggestions. It isn’t my top name at the moment anyways, and I have a looooong time until having to actually name the baby! Lol
  • Options
    @miss.sally My female dog's name is Darcy.... so there's that.  :D Boy names are hard! 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    @miss.sally I know of a man named Darcy, he’s older like I’d say in his 50s.  I really liked it when I heard it and it’s on my list that I haven’t shared with DH yet. We already sort of have a different name but I’m unsure of it and I’m trying not to get too excited about any names before we know the sex but also coming up with alternatives. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    MalidociousMalidocious member
    edited August 2019
    @miss.sally I really like the name Darcy for a boy!  It makes me think of Pride & Prejudice instantly and I think it's a super handsome name for a boy.  :)  I don't like it for a girl at all, but I love it for a boy.
  • Options
    Ok you guys are making me definitely more excited for the name Darcy. I may have to bring it up to H. 😬 
  • Options
    @miss.sally I freaking love the name Darcy for a boy. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @justlauren05 my daughter’s name is Avery! My husband and I both have A names also so this baby will as well. 

For a boy we are thinking Anthony (DH really isn’t sold on it but it’s a family name so I feel like he feels bad turning it down) and I recently fell in love with the name Anderson. If it’s a girl she will be Aria. That was DH’s pick for DD but I wanted Avery. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We’ve had names picked out forever! 

Benjamin Michael for a boy, and we have two girls names we both love - Clara Evelyn and Josephine Mae.
    We’re leaning towards Clara Evelyn, because she’d be named after my grandmother and my niece (were Jewish and using the tradition of naming after loved ones), and although all of our names are family names, they’re the two I want to honor the most. 
  • Options
    MadamemerleMadamemerle member
    edited August 2019
    kantobean said:
    @aprileia my daughter is Miriam, so I’m partial to that name. :) but I know it’s a little old-fashioned and not for everyone. It really suits her though.
    My niece is Miriam, and I love the name ❤️

My son's name is similarly old fashioned and Biblical, but the boy names I'm keen on this time are more modern sounding (though still from Hebrew). 
  • Options
    @miss.sally I go by my middle name! My parents decided to call me by my middle name when I was a baby, so I've always gone by it. TBH, I hate it. Not either of my names - I like both of them. I didn't like people asking and me having to explain it. I didn't like people asking me what my "real" name is. I didn't like people assuming that I was an angsy teen and that I decided to go by my middle name. I ended up legally switching my first and my middle name when I got a divorce and went back to my maiden name, which in retrospect, I wouldn't do again, lol. Now when I go to a doctor I haven't seen in a while and they ask me my name, it's either First Maiden, Middle Maiden, First Married or Middle Married...so confusing! I'm sure not everyone feels as many feels about it at me though!

Also, I like Bennet more than Darcy! 
  • Options
    @miss.sally FWIW I like Darcy Charles better than Charles Darcy :) 

i love Bennet!!!
  • Options
    @miss.sally in the south a lot of people go by their middle names. My mom is from TN and my parents called me by my middle name for the first 5 years of my life. I didn’t like a nickname I had in preschool (Amanda Panda) so I decided to go by my first name in kindergarten and have gone by that ever since.

I had such strong feelings against my middle name that when I got married I made my maiden name my middle name and got rid of Amanda from my name altogether. 

• Options
    @phyllifish our top choice right now for a girl is Clara too! We’re thinking Clara Elizabeth.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    @miss.sally My husband goes by his middle name, and he thinks it's stupid. He doesn't understand why his parents didn't just give him the name they call him as his first name. It also gets confusing on some accounts and whatnot, when you're not sure what name they have for him. However, it's not a huge deal, and plenty of people do it, so it's up to you.
    We did use his given first name, Charles, to my son, who goes by Charlie. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    A little late to the name party here - catching up on threads after being away a few weeks!  

DH and I have a random quirk where we only use 3-syllable first names.  After we named our first and realized that DH, DS1, and I all had three syllable names, we continued that with DS2 and will do so for #3 too.

DS1 is Oliver James and DS2 is Jonathan Scott - James being my dad and grandfather's name, and Scott is FIL's and DH's middle name.

To continue with using family names, we'll likely go with Catherine Henny or Catherine Marie for a girl.  Catherine is DH's grandmother's name (who just passed recently), Henny is my grandmother's name (she is German), and Marie is my mom's and my middle name.

Boys names have always been harder for us.  We'll probably do what we did with DS2 and use this list DH downloaded of like 1500 3-syllable boys names and both rank them as Yes, Maybe, No then compare the list of ones where we were Yes/Yes or Yes/Maybe to narrow it down.  Elliott was one of our final names for DS2, so Elliott Henry has been in my head as an option (using Henry as a male way to recognize my grandmother Henny since we'd be running out of chances to have a girl lol).  Once we know the sex, if it is another boy then I'll start reviewing our name list again.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Options
    @kailanae my husband’s name is Elliot and his brother is Henry. Both such good names. I really want to use Henry as a middle of we have a boy but DH wants to use his middle. 
  • Options
    @kailanae I love Elliot! My colleague has a son names Elliot and it’s so cute! Suits him so well.

i actually love all of your names! I love classic names though so I’m biased :)

• Options
    @miss.sally I like Charles Darcy -AND- Darcy Charles equally.  Both so cute!  I do like the name Bennett too but I see it getting used rather often around my neck of the woods these days.

My partner and I are so far away from choosing a name... we need to really get on it.
  • Options
    At first glance would you pronounce Alyse like Alice or like Elise? 
  • Options
    @mommytimesfour I would say like Elise, but if that’s what you’re going for then why not use the correct spelling? (Same goes for if you want it to sound like Alice). 
  • Options
    @mommytimesfour I would pronounce it more like Elise, too, just with more of an A sounding beginning.  
  • Options
    @jenEP I’m generally a stickler for traditional name spellings, but I have a daughter who’s name begins with the letters Eli and her nickname is Ellie, so it would be very close to the spelling Elise. 
  • Options
    @mommytimesfour Gotcha. I get that. Do you like the Alice? I think it's beautiful. It sounds similar to Elise and wouldn't get mispronounced. 

• Options
    @jenEP I have a Georgia and I absolutely love her name.  I still feel happy saying it out loud or writing it.  DH was not on board at first and was still doing name searches until the night I went into labor.  He acquiesced after she was born.. kinda hard to argue with a woman who just gave birth.  However, he now has full naming rights for baby number 3.  We’ll see how this goes!

We are feeling like this baby is a boy. Top boy names are Julian (Jules) or Norman which is a family name. 

Girl names are Julia (Jules) or Gemma