February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

Since the board seems quieter on weekends I’ll be posting the product spotlights on Saturdays. 

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. This week we're talking Baby Carriers!

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite baby carrier
  • What you like about it
  • What you don't like about it (if anything)
  • Additional thoughts on baby carriers
For FTMs:
  • Carrier(s) you're interested in:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• daffodil_shoedaffodil_shoe member
    edited August 2019
    I love my Ergo (the original). It has a newborn insert for better support of a little one. Then you just stop using the insert when kiddo is a little bigger. Very easy to put on and use. It can hold up to 40 lbs I believe, so I have occasionally still thrown DS in there (3 y.o., 35 lbs) on my back (not since becoming pregnant though).

I also have a hand-me-down Moby wrap from the family for whom I used to nanny. I wore their youngest in it. It’s complicated to learn how to tie it, but it’s pretty comfy once you figure it out. No snaps or clips, just a really long piece of stretchy material.

ETA- both a machine washable. I also love that my Ergo has some zipper pockets. When I’m front-carrying, I can easily use the pockets for car keys, cash, debit card, and phone.
  • @daffodil_shoe I’m so glad to hear that about the ergo! My SIL recommended it with the insert! 

FTM: We registered for the ergo carrier with the newborn insert as well as the Solly wrap. Has anyone had experience with the Solly?
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Loading the player...
  • I havent really looked into any carriers yet (that's on the task list for this weekend since I started my registry yesterday!)
    But what are good options for plus size moms? For reference I wear a 2x shirt in most places, occasionally a 3x.
  • @babyroma my husband is a bigger guy (5’10 260 lbs) and he could use the Ergo easily. I was tired of adjusting the size back and forth between us so I bought him an Eddie Bauer carrier, and it just wasn’t working. It was too small on him, and DS seemed to sink so low in it.
  • We used the Ergo 360 with newborn insert. We only used it until DD was about 4-5 months old then stopped. It was great though, we wore her a lot at home especially during her witching hour. 

I tried a wrap and never got the hang of them. 
  • I got a lillebaby complete... Loved it! Doesn't need a newborn insert so one less thing to buy / carry around. Plus I did hear it can get hot with the insert, but we are giving birth in the winter time anyways. There are different options... Embossed, all seasons (which has a panel you can zip down when it's hot), air flow (made of a soft mesh so it's more breathable), etc.

It also has a pocket in the front so I can put my keys and a few credit cards in there if I want. There are usually good sales on Amazon during black Friday and such.

I also had the Moby wrap for newborn days... My husband who runs hot thought it was warm, so something to think about. I heard the solly wrap is great and is cooler temp wise to babywear so that's a great choice too! 
  • We have a moby and a baby Bjorn. I love my moby so much but I think I need a new one because this one has lost elasticity. My husband wanted the baby Bjorn and I don't  really care for it because I am a EE in the tatas so it doesn't work well for me. 
  • What do people with twins do in these scenarios? Never leave home without a second set of hands? Jk but also srs  :D
  • alseltzeralseltzer member
    edited August 2019
    @Swiftlet from what I've seen online, you can wear both up front when they're bitty in a wrap carrier. And then for when they get bigger I've seen twin carriers that have one on front and one on back. But that seems way too hard to get them in by yourself. I think I'm gonna try just wearing one and having my husband wear the other once they get too big for me to carry both up front.

Edited: Oh lord, I just googled again. There are SO many ways to wrap for twins. I'm gonna need a lot of practice!!
  • craftywitchcraftywitch member
    edited August 2019
    I love the Lille complete. No infant insert needed, the buckle up headrest is great for napping and also for carrying toddler, and the lower back support piece is incredible!

For newborn stage I also like the Moby wrap. I have a Wild Bird linen ring sling that’s great for hot weather, for sleeping/nursing when they’re tiny while seated (nothing else is awesome while seated), and for quickie around the house carries. Ring sling isn’t great when they’re older or if you need to carry for an extended period.
  • I loved for my moby wrap in the newborn days @Swiftlet and @alseltzer  it’s totally doable for twins!  As they got bigger I tried two ring slings and it was ok, got uncomfortable after a while. But the twingo carrier was my life saver! It fits like an ergo, has pockets and getting one on your back isn’t as hard as it seems. I swear!  It was the only way I could get things done, keep the twins happy and still chase after the other kids!  It’s worth every penny in my book!  And you can separate it into two single carriers so if you’re out with another person or husband you can each carry a baby. And my husband isn’t small (6’1” and 280) and he wore them too. 
    Woven wraps are great too as they get older, especially if you liked a stretchy wrap in the early months. 
  • I had the Ergo original with my first two boys and LOVED IT! It was supportive for me and babies and I wore them all the time! We wore them well until 18ish months. I bought the 360 for this time around :) 
  • *lurker*

It's definitely possible to wrap two babies. I have also seen women with two soft-structured carriers - one on the front, and one on the back. Also, a woman with triplets - one front, one back and carrying one (no carrier) on her hip.  :open_mouth:

I'd do some googling. 
  • I used my Tula with my daughter from the time she was six months old until she was over three. I loved it and so did she. It’s one of the things I’m most looking forward to with this baby. I plan on getting the infant insert, so I can use it sooner. It was hands down the best investment I made the first time around. 
  • 0hmymadelin30hmymadelin3 member
    edited August 2019
    Kinderpack is hands down my favorite SSC and I feel like I’ve tried them all. I got rid of all other carriers but my Kinderpacks. The Kinderpack is the most comfortable SSC I’ve ever used. I can still carry my 5 year old (and very occasionally my 7 year old). Their patented 3 panel design gives baby a really deep seat base and helps with weight distribution. The infant size has a seat adjustment so you can start using it very early on and it “grows” with your child. They also have standard, toddler, and preschool sizes. They have standard and plus size strap options as well. They have full panel or a breatheable mesh panel. They have a hood that tucks right into the carrier (however the full panel hood is a much better style than the mesh option). They also come in like a million pattern options. I also really like that they’re a smaller business. 

Right now now Kinderpack is actually running a sale 60% off select prints. I just bought another infant Kinderpack for $85, that’s basically $100 off, which is crazy to me because when I first started buying Kinderpacks the market was so inflated that you were paying at least $100 over market value. 
  • @babyroma I’d look into the Kinderpack as they have plus sized strap options. They’re also just amazing carriers. 
  • @lovesclimbing I have a TON of googling to do regarding everything; we've been putting it off as we've been really busy this summer hosting family and planning my close friend's baby shower.
  • doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited August 2019
    The K’tan is the easiest to use imo. I had a very difficult time getting the Ergo on and off by myself. I have also used a didymos which I LOVE for at home use, but using it in public is sort of a nightmare because it’s one long piece of fabric and I never figured out how to wrap it without letting it drag the ground. 
  • @doodleoodle I liked the K'tan but then I washed it and it got too small. We had cats and the fuzz just clung to it.

We also have a moby wrap and I love it. If I can get the wrapping down anyone can. :)

We have a Beco Gemini for our carrier. They are pretty amazing. They work from NB stage without an insert, and do front, side and back carries. I have used it to hike up mountains with my toddler but have not used it lately obviously. She is not a huge fan of the back carry and the front carry at almost 3 is not realistic - your center of gravity is way off. I will probably use it for this baby and get something structured for my husband to carry the toddler if we do any hikes next spring.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I had the moby with my first and really liked it. With my other 2, I used ring slings and I definitely prefer them. They are more versatile and easy to use. I can nurse in it or back carry my toddler. And I can still carry my 4.5 year old comfortably (I don’t all the time but places like the zoo when she gets tired and wants to snuggle... it’s perfect). My 1.5 year old loves being in it and it’s so easy to take on and off when need be.
  • p.s. although there are some really cute patterns out there consider whether your SO will wear it. I loved some patterns so much but my husband was like if you ever want to use it we have to get light grey. So we have light grey (and I am the one that uses it 90% of the time haha)

@kmj1426 I am interested in trying out a ring sling this time. I found a beautiful Sakura Bloom silk one that is calling my name :) 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL Sakura Bloom has the most beautiful slings! I really want to try their scout this time. 
  • @craftywitch GO FOR IT! I want to get a second carrier just so I can have something cute since i'm the one that uses it, even though they are both girls :) any excuse right? I've come to terms with the fact that I"m just going to be the more in shape person and therefore the one carrying the baby (eek).

Has anyone gotten the hang of breastfeeding their baby in any of these carriers? I have not but would really like to. Any tips?
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL I never could nurse DS in my Ergo. I have such a short torso, DS’s head did not line up with my boobs!
  • I have a Solly and a Tula. I’ve loved both. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved the Catbird mei tai it was so easy to use. My husband used it too and it was easy for him to wear our son. He wore the Lillebaby a few times too I did a few times in a hip carry but much preferred the catbird. 

Im really interested in the didymos didyklick! Anyone use that one?!? I think it would be the best of both worlds for me. 
  • craftywitchcraftywitch member
    edited August 2019
    @leksiL BF in the carriers was my life! I even figured out how to BF my newborn in the Moby, although I had a Baby Björn super early on and it was way easier to drop baby down and angle him diagonally for a nurse in that. I got rid of the Björn carrier and became a carrier snob, but I'm thinking I'll use a ring sling or onbuhimo in it's place when this one is little. I'm kind of coveting the Sakura Bloom onbuhimo at the moment... It's easier to shuffle them to a boob without having to deal with a waist band.

@ktholysz I've never heard of this brand, but I LOVE this SSC wrap hybrid. Also they're so beautiful and look soft and comfy through the wide wrap-like shoulders! Officially also coveting one of these now...
  • @craftywitch thanks for the advice! I will try a ring sling this time around. I checked the Onbuhimo and it looks like a back carry starting at 15#, not sure how you can BF in that but more power to you if you can! :wink:
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL I'm pretty sure you can also wear them on the front in those- idk why so much of the imagery is of back carrying... Although the 15# start size is a bummer. My son was tiny so there's no way during the first 6 months.
  • I'm a STM & we basically lived in baby carriers (& even still babywear w a 2 yr old)!

We had several we liked, they all had their uses, but our FAV was the
    *Ergo 360!!!*
    What we loved:
    -very secure! Felt like I could do anything in it!
    -very easy to breastfeed/nap in. Even for a toddler
    -easily adjusted between my husband (6') and myself (5'1")
    -sooo many different positions (we used facing out the most & facing in for BFing and naps on mom, but there is side carry and back carry)
    -wasnt terrible on my back, & I have a really bad back

What we didn't love:
    -it could get hot. Wouldn't choose this carrier in hotter weather. We had a breathable Lilliebaby 
    -it still hurts your back after a while
    -it doesn't wash super well. Ours is black & it still would have some weird white patches I'd have to scrub afterwards

Other thoughts:
    We also have
    -a ring sling carrier
    -lilliebaby
    -a lalabu soothe shirt

... I would definitely get a lalabu shirt! We lived in that through the fourth trimester!
  • Wildbird ring slings are having a giant sale today if anyone is looking to get one!
    Married Jan 2008 

• @daffodil_shoe I’m so glad to hear that about the ergo! My SIL recommended it with the insert! 

FTM: We registered for the ergo carrier with the newborn insert as well as the Solly wrap. Has anyone had experience with the Solly?
    I LOVE solly wraps and have like 5. Great for that newborn phase 
  • I have an ergo 360 and and several solly wraps. Skip the infant insert for the ergo—I guess unless you have a really tiny baby. I just put a rolled up receiving blanket in the bottom and it worked great. My kids hate the insert and I sold it. 

For the moms that use slings—what’s your favorite? I really want one this time around.