Trouble TTC
Options

Introduction

Hi everyone! I've been creeping this board on and off for months (from TTGP) and decided it's finally time to jump in. 

DH and I are both 30 and have been TTC since November 2017. So far, all testing has been normal (HSG, SA, bloodwork) so we have an unexplained diagnosis as of now. Last winter I did a cycle with Clomid through my OB but decided not to pursue further cycles due to the side effects. We went to the RE back in April, but they benched us until June because DH had traveled to Cuba and they were worried about Zika. We have our next appointment next Wednesday, and I'm not sure what to expect now that we're actually going to make a plan! My guess, based on the previous discussion with the RE, is that we will start with letrozole + TI + trigger shot protocol for a bit and then move to all that + IUI. DH is an accountant so he's very concerned with numbers, so he'd rather be more conservative with treatment (whereas I would rather just throw everything at it at this point, haha).

In non-TTC related info, we've been married since October 2016 and live in Kentucky. We have 2 indoor cats, 1 unofficial outdoor cat, and a golden retriever. As I said above, DH is an accountant and I work for a health insurance company. You'd think I would understand more about IF coverage, but I don't  :D 

Anyways, I'm excited to get to know everyone! 

Re: Introduction

• Options
    Hey there @b_1029! Welcome to the group, hope you feel as supported as I have the past couple months that I've been here.

I'm 34, DH is 35. DH and I were married October 2015 and TTC since November 2017 as well, I feel like our stories are very similar in some ways. We didn't go see an RE (ours is actually an obgyn specializing in fertility) until Dec 2018, did a cycle of monitoring and SA. My AMH/FSH were low/high showing signs of declining reserve and the SA showed high viscosity and lower motility. We decided to get DH on supplements for 3 months before starting right into medicated IUI. DH's motility improved some and the wash they do for IUI helps as well. I'm currently in the TWW of cycle 3. If unsuccessful we are going to do at least one more round before considering the jump to IVF.

Personally, even though we have some small issues the doctor still couldn't say really why we aren't conceiving, not for sure. I think that's just the tricky part about all this, even if everything is going right the odds of getting pregnant are still not that high! The one thing I did find after starting to have help from the clinic is that a lot of the pressure is off. They literally are managing it for you and telling you the optimal time to try. So it's like going from being driver/navigator to passenger watching the scenery... which after so long is actually kind of nice. IF still sucks big time and there are still highs and lows, but this part is just that little bit easier than trying on your own and wondering if something is wrong or if you got the timing right or if you really did all you could to increase chances each cycle, cycle after cycle.

For your DH, I know mine was similarly resistant, but I think it's mostly a fear of the unknown and for them it means really and truly being 100% involved in the highs and lows. Now that we have done this for a little while my DH is just as grateful to give up the driver's wheel (even though he wasn't totally driving the car before we got there, lol). For him he can also just see that I'm more relaxed.

Jump in on our weekly thread! And keep us posted next week or if you think of any pre-appointment questions! We've all been there too!
    Me: 36 DH: 37 // Married: 2015 // TTC#1 Since: 2017 // PAWrents to 2 dogs: 6 yo female shepherd-malamute & 1 yo male weim/heeler mix // Dx: Unexplained endometriosis & adenomyosis 12/2020 // Rx: 2019: IUIx6 & IVF Retrieval Result: Abnormal/High Mosaic Laparoscopy/Excision - Surgery Sep 2021, Round #2 IVF Retrieval with new clinic - 2022
  • Options
    b_1029b_1029 member
    edited July 2019
    @hithertorue thank you so much! It does sound like our stories are similar! We went to a different RE like 2 months or so before the “official” year mark and had all our testing done then but decided to hold off any treatment since everything came back normal and we were still within that year. Now it seems so real and I’m nervous but definitely excited! Also, it sounds so great to have someone else take the wheel for a while 😂 I’m glad Yh’s motility improved and hopefully this IUI does the trick for ya! Thanks again for the warm welcome! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome @b_1029 !!! Sorry you have to be here, but I am glad you are joining us and I hope you feel our support in this process. This has been a great resource for me to learn more, feel understood, and just to vent as needed, so I hope you can find that too!

I'm originally from West Virginia, so hey neighbor! haha. I'm 30 and DH is 25, and we have been TTC since May 2018. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and anovulation. I'm sorry you have unexplained IF.....that must be hard to not have any starting point. But basically it's a very similar process for people regardless of diagnosis, starting out with letrozole/clomid and TI and then moving on. DH and I are on cycle 3 of meds, trigger, and TI. If this one doesn't work, our RE wants us to move to IUI. I hope your appointment next week goes well and you have a great RE and team - I'm super grateful for mine, and I remember feeling hopeful after that first meeting, so I hope you do too! 

Like @hithertorue said, we are here if you have any questions or want to just talk about concerns or fears or worries or happy things or anything! :)
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• Options
    Hey @b_1029 sorry I somehow missed your intro thread!! I am also in the unexplained category, though I do have crazy irregular cycles (which are also unexplained). My DH was also dragging a bit... it took 4 months of me asking for him to go get a test (which I’m glad I finally got it because he has low-ish motility which is good to know) and has never made it to an appointment with me. He wants kids, a lot, and is happy to do anything at home, so I am not totally sure what his resistance is about.  I hope having your DH at the appointment will help & I hope you find joining this group as useful as I have.