February 2020 Moms

Hypothyroidism

Hi everyone, 
Just to state ahead of time I have a doctor appointment set up for tomorrow at noon. On Saturday I went for routine prenatal bloodwork and my thyroid function TSH came back at 10.28 with a normal range being .32-5.04. I have never experienced hyporthyroidism before and was just wondering if anyone else has been through this? 

Re: Hypothyroidism

• I have no thyroid at all due to pediatric cancer, so I’ve been hypothyroid most of my life. Your TSH being that elected probably has given you symptoms and you just don’t know it. Weight is usually a problem. Swelling around the face and neck tends to happen pretty quickly.  Being tired, irritable and exhausted are common. Intolerance to cold is another. Sometimes depression and attention issues come up...
    i can promise you that as you take your thyroxine you will feel better and you may not even realize why. It’s just kind of like being reanimated. It’s not as scary as people think it is. You’ll be monitored by an endocrinologist and your dosage of thyroid pill will be adjusted as needed. Pregnancy tends to mean several changes, so whenever you get bloodwork for pregnancy, you can pretty much bet they will take your thyroid labs too. 
  • Hi everyone, 
    Just to state ahead of time I have a doctor appointment set up for tomorrow at noon. On Saturday I went for routine prenatal bloodwork and my thyroid function TSH came back at 10.28 with a normal range being .32-5.04. I have never experienced hyporthyroidism before and was just wondering if anyone else has been through this? 
    Hello and welcome to the board! You might get more responses on "The Great Question Thread" but I have Hashimoto's and got diagnosed back in 2016. Usually with medication they can get you all taken care of. Thyroids do some weird things during pregnancies! Good luck! 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi ladies. I have Hashi’s too and was hypo. Last they checked it was 2.6, hoping it’s stayed down. Curious how often you’re getting your TSH checked? Mine tends to vary a lot and my endocrinologist said I’m kind of a unique case in that way (they’ve upped my dosage before and my TSH increased, and wide fluctuations in short periods of time), so I’ve been having my RE pull it pretty much whenever I’m in. I’m about to be discharged to my OB and am a little worried about tracking it less so was curious. Also wondering if either of you are using a Higher risk doctor because of the thyroid issues. Thanks! 
  • @optimism3 First and foremost make sure your endocrinologist know you’re pregnant. Your endo should be monitoring your thyroid during pregnancy and working with your OB. My hashi’s has been under control for the last year with switching to Armour Thyroid and she was happy enough with my results when I was newly pregnant that she doesn’t want more bloodwork until December. If it’s somethinh that they’re still adjusting I would assume your endo would prefer to rest every 6 weeks. What Thyroid medicine do they have you on? I am not with any high risk doctors due to Hashimotos.
    TW
  • Hello! I'm part of the April BMB but i wanted some help so asking here. My TSH was slightly elevated while TTCing (i think 2.8) and my doctor put me on levothyroxin. I got pregnant the next month and it jumped to 4 as soon as i found out i was pregnant, so they upped my dosage from 25mcg to 50 mcg. I got my TSH rechecked 5 weeks after the dose increase and it was 0.8. My RE clinic asked i stay on this dose as they were happy with the 1st trimester TSH level. They told me however to stop taking the levo a month after that and recheck levels a couple of weeks later. Has anyone experienced this? I'm nervous to stop taking my meds especially when pregnant, but they assured me this is okay. 
  • Mine was 4.4 when I had my initial bloodwork done. My OB put me on synthroid to help lower it. The next appointment it was down to 2.2 and this last appointment it was 1.4. She said she wont check it again until the 3rd trimester because my dose seems to be working well. 
  • @sanpelligrino Do you have just an endocrinologist to treat your thyroid? I personally would loop in the endocrinologist AND your OB on this. I'm on Armour thyroid and even though it was "high" right when I found out I was pregnanct and they kept me on the same dosage - my levels were the best I've ever seen them in the second trimester. They just accounted it to pregnancy sometimes helping autoimmune diseases. I personally would just get a second opinion.
    TW
  • @brookert615 I dont have an endocrinologist, just the RE who was managing my thyroid until now. My OB prefers I follow the RE;s advice on this as well. I will try to get a second opinion. For now, i'm on a week of no medication and re-test next friday to see what my levels are without medication. Btw they had me checked twice this year and I tested negative to thyroid antibodies. 
  • @sanpelligrino That's great that you tested negative for antibodies. Glad your OB and RE are on the same page. 
    TW
  • sanpelligrinosanpelligrino member
    edited September 2019
    I will ask for an endocrinology referral as well to see if i can get a second opinion. It wont hurt. I really wanted to be on Armour or naturethroid but my doctor wouldn't prescribe it because I was newly pregnant and newly diagnosed with subclinical hypo. She said there wasn't enough research done on pregnant woman changing/switching to naturethroid etc, and levothryoxin was widely studied and documented. I think she was scared of miscarriage because of thyroid fluctuations etc. At that point, I went with it as well, but on the off chance i have to continue taking thyroid meds post partum etc, I would def look into armour or naturethroid. 
  • @sanpelligrino I second going to an actual endocrinologist. I learned the RE has only
    minimal knowledge of thyroid generally. It wasn’t until I went to an endo. that my thyroid got and stayed level. RE took mine down too, but it didn’t stay there. I wish I’d seen endo sooner personally so totally endorse that. At 0.8 you probably have a buffer if it does go up off meds in the meantime, but I’d try to get into the endo ASAP.