November 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

From various threads, it sounds like a lot of us have liked baby wearing/plan to baby wear. Talk about it here!

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    I'm a FTM so no experience, but I am thinking about the Baby Bjorn baby carrier mini & Baby K'tan. 

I'd love to hear from any petite moms! I'm 5'0" and have a small frame so a lot of normal sized/length items are tricky. 
  • Options
    I registered for a k'tan and a Tula, but just got a rave recommendation for a wildbird sling today from a woman wearing her baby at the airport. Anyone have input on any of those three?

I wasnt a huge fan of the tie wrap ones. Never seemed tight enough. But I just may not have known how to do it. Also all the extra fabric was a pain. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I loved babywearing, but I had a lot of trouble with it after my son got bigger, so while I know you can really do it with the right carrier past the first year, I stopped around 11mo. 

I had the ktan for the newborn stage which was fairly easy to master the wrapping part. I also got a hand me down baby bjorn that was great for going on walks or going to the grocery store- I used that the most once Ds was big enough for that wrap. I am definitely planning on using them both again and will be using them both more than I did last time, I hope. 
  • Options
    I love my Ktan. It has the coziness that the Moby offers without all the wrapping that goes along with it. I use that with my newborns up until they get heavy enough I need more support. I just recently bought a beautiful Ringling to try with this baby. 

I also love my ergo 360. The support it offers is amazing. Plus, I have successfully nursed my last 2 babies on the go with it. I don't have to stop and sit. I can literally keep chasing my toddler. It has been well worth the money for the 360. I have s regular ergo too and I have found it to not be as supportive. 

I also have a Nuroo. It is a shirt you can wear baby with and do skin-to-skin. I love it. It allows me to do skin-to-skin even when someone is visiting. 
  • Options
    @dani_0921 My SIL loved her Tula, so I bought one from a local shop that was going out of business (it was a super good deal), and I've registered for the infant insert. She said it was the most recommended in her mom group as well as a baby wearing FB group.
  • Options
    @alaluap thank you for the input!
  • Options
    rogro118rogro118 member
    edited June 2019
    @dani_0921 I love slings!  I have (several 😬) Wildbirds and a couple other brands.  I used a Solly wrap the first few months, which was great for the newborn age, then switched over to slings, but I’ll be slinging this baby right away since I’m comfortable with it now and it is way less fussy than dealing with the wraps.  My husband would wear them sometimes too, but preferred the Ergo 360 we had.  I found the Ergo too uncomfortable for me, as I’m only 5’1” and it is pretty bulky, impossible to sit in, and definitely hard to pack to bring along on outings.  I used the slings with my son routinely until he was about 2, then only for random times after that. I cannot waaaiiit to sling another baby.  It’s super easy to nurse in slings, transfers to a sleeping surface are simple, and they’re comfortable to wear for long durations.  There’s definitely a bit of a learning curve, but I know Wildbird has a lot of tutorial videos and a good community that helps with fit checks, positions, and what not.  Clearly I sound like a crazy sling lady, but they were amazing for us and truly made my life so much easier!

My friend has an eight week old and started using a sling with him during the first week and prefers it over her wrap and Sakura carrier she has (the scout maybe?).  I’ve also heard a lot of good things about the Happy Baby Carriers.  They’re linen and structured, but definitely more flexible than the Ergos.  
  • Options
    I agree that the ergo is bulky. I do stuff it down into my diaper bag if I need it but honestly, if I'm out with my kids my youngest is in it everywhere we go. I'm 5'4 and I can sit comfortably in it. I still wear my 21 month old in it regularly at 19 weeks. I'm not sure how I would like slinging a toddler while grocery shopping. I'm moving around too much. Although, I haven't used a ring sling with my other kids. I have a Wildbird sling I recently bought to use with this baby and I'm hoping I like it. I tried it with my toddler and she flat out rejected it. I may have to try a tula this time around too. Just so I  can see what a softer structured carrier feels like. 

I will say, if you think you want to babywear, you need to start from birth. Babies may not like it after awhile if they have never been in one. If mine are ever fussy going in I just shush and rock until they settle into it. 
  • Options
    I have a standard Tula and a Tula ring sling. I would love to get a Tula Free to Grow that wouldn’t require the infant insert. I loved my Tula with our last little one. We had a Baby Bjorn with our first two and every time I used it, it killed my back but the Tula has been super comfortable for me. I’ve also had a Lenny Lamb that was comfy too I just preferred the Tula so I didn’t use it often. Love ring slings for the newborn stage. Super easy to get them in and comfy.
  • Options
    My husband and I went to start registering today and he surprised me by wanting to pick out a baby carrier. I already knew it was something I wanted (I have already researched and had my eye on a wrap-type sling carrier), but I know for a fact that he will have no patience to use one like that for himself. Because of this I am leaning more toward a strap in one - like a Baby Bjorn - for him. Does anyone have any sort of recommendations or suggestions for those kinds of carriers? They seem to vary widely in price and customer satisfaction. I'd ask our friends who had babies, but none of the husbands had any desire to wear their babies around. Thanks!
  • Options
    We still use our Ergo Perfomance with my 3 year old, a Soul Slings Onbuhimo (one of my favorites and so glad we got it for the bigger kid years) and I will occassionally wrap her. I have two long wraps (one a 7 I think and one a 5 or 6). I also have a Moby Bamboo which I loved for the baby stages. I also have an Infantino 4 in 1 which turned out to be super useful and inexpensive, as well as a Infantino Mei Tai carrier that is super transportable and easy.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a local baby wearing group, especially one with a lending library. Or friends who wear who will let you try before you buy. You can also join facebook groups to find wraps on budget (babywearing on a budget is a good one) because you can get really good used wraps for a portion of the price of a new one. Also shop garage sales for carriers. Many parents buy carriers but only use them a few times and then sell them cheaply. Just check for rips, stains that wont come out, and make sure they are from homes with no allergies known to you (smoke, pets, etc).

Also, many people like to talk baby wearing. So if you see a parent out with a carrier or wrap on, ask them about it! Majority of the time they will give you awesome tips and you might make a new parent friend out of it!

I am considering going for a ring sling with this one because I feel more confident baby wearing now ans I love the hands free approach to carrying baby while also getting shit done. Plus this is a winter baby compared to my summer baby (so hot) and im all about people not touching baby. Plus I now have a toddler in tow.

Happy baby wearing!
  • Options
    Just a heads up, Tula Free to Grow in Stormy is on big sale on their website. I couldn't resist and snatched one up!
  • Options
    @dani_0921 Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed one too! 
  • Options
    BNBTBNBT member
    Can anyone that has used the Tula Free to Grow tell me how breathable the fabric is? I'm thinking ahead to next summer in Texas and wondering if it will leave the both of us too hot (especially the baby).
  • Options
    @BNBT I don’t have personal experience with the Tula yet but I know that most of these carriers have a mesh option that is more breathable. Also, I have used my regular Ergo 360 in TX with no problem. I got one of those cooling towels to wear too. 

Although, in the dead heat of the summer, I wasn’t outside doing much that didn’t involve water because it was just way too hot. They make mesh swimming wraps/slings too that are specific for water. I have a wrap but I am planning to invest in a sling. 
  • Options
    The lilliebaby ring sling is one of the Amazon Prime deals this afternoon if anyone was thinking about it. I decided to give it a try and bought one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    bmmimsbmmims member
    @gumby22c I got one!!