April 2019 Moms

Larger baby feeding per doctor

I don't know anyone who had a larger baby. my son was born 10lbs 2oz and he's now 10 weeks old. He is currently eating 8oz per feeding of formula and occasionally breast milk that I was able to freeze. I just left his 2 month check up and the doctor said I could start him on baby food, veggies only, at night with a decrease in ounces for his formula. She also said to "water down" his other bottles. ex: powder formula like normal for his 8oz bottle but adding an extra ounce or less of water. She doesn't want to add calories and vetoed rice or cereal in his bottle. I know what water intoxication is but not the amount that would get him to that point. I like his doctor but I'm not sure I agree with her regime because yes, my son is a big kid, but he's not covered in precious baby rolls or anything. He's just long and stout. I'm also concerned with his digestion taking baby food at a younger age. Any moms with larger babies have any thoughts on all of this?

Re: Larger baby feeding per doctor

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    I would be looking for a second opinion. Mixing formula against directions is dangerous and 10 weeks is definitely too early to start on solids. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would get a second opinion as well. As much as it seems your baby is eating compared to some, mine only eats 4 1/2 ounces per feed, yours knows how much and how long between feeds.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the other ladies, it might be time to look for a new pedi because solids shouldnt be started this early.  I think its the world health organization that recommends breast milk or formula exclusively for the first 6 months (though i've heard of some pedis that allow solids at 4 months)

As for the amount, my 8 week old takes 2.5 to 4.5 oz breastmilk every 2 to 4 hours, but babies that are formula fed take larger bottles and might feed less frequently.