October 2019 Moms
Options

June FTM Check-In

I don't think we had one of these last month, but I'm reviving it!
1) How many weeks are you?/EDD?
2) How are you feeling? (physically, emotionally, all the feels)
3) Appointments this month?
4) Rants/Raves?
5) Questions for FTM or STM+?
6) What food/drink/activity do you miss the most?

TTC History
Me: 38 DH: 52
Started trying June 2018
BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
TTC October 2021
BFP January 2022
MMC March 2022
Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

Re: June FTM Check-In

• Options
    galentinegalentine member
    edited June 2019
    1) How many weeks are you?/EDD?
    22w3d

Physically pretty good. Some tailbone pain and soreness in my pelvic bone, but it's manageable.

Emotionally feeling pretty self conscious. I'm having some body image insecurity, which I didn't expect. I had this expectation in my head that I would stay pretty trim, but with like, a big ole basketball belly. Instead, EVERY BODY PART has grown and everything just feels gross and squishy. I also seem to gain 5 pounds from eating a single donut these days. I'm sad that I'm feeling this way but also don't know how to snap out of it.

Yes, but I can't remember when 🤦‍♀️

4) Rants/Raves?
    Rave: my H is nesting and it's adorable. 

-FTM specific: approximately how many items did you register for? Just curious how mine compares 😂
    -anyone else feeling body-conscious right now?

6) What food/drink/activity do you miss the most?
    I read somewhere that soft-serve ice cream machines can carry listeria if not cleaned properly. Ice cream is my favorite food and I want a DQ blizzard like none other. Or a Wendy's frosty. Or a milkshake. I also miss non well done meat. A medium-rare steak sounds devine. Washed down with a milkshake!!!
  • Options
    1) How many weeks are you?/EDD? 23 weeks, 1 day.
    Physically, I'm not too bad. I get pretty awful tailbone pain, but that's my only major complaint. Emotionally, I'm crying at the drop of a hat. I'm also tired from adding a new part-time retail job to the mix. My new co-workers look at me like I'm crazy, but I don't want to be treated like an invalid.
    Routine check-up next week.
    4) Rants/Raves?
    See above re: work fatigue. However, I get to travel back home in two weeks to see my mom and I am so excited! I need some home cooking and rest.
    5) Questions for FTM or STM+? @galentine 1) I have literally registered for zero things. I'm planning on tackling the registry in the next week or two. 2) Yes, I'm starting to feel body conscious mostly due to the fact that I want to eat 24/7. Luckily, I'm active so I get a lot of, "You're *how* far along? But you're so tiny!" which I suppose is nice, but makes me feel defensive. Like, my baby is eating enough, I promise. (Oddly enough, according to the pregnancy weight calculator link you sent me, my "current weight is 0.10000000000002 lbs higher than the upper bound." Sad face.) I'm sure you look amazing, it's just that we notice all of the differences within ourselves, if that makes sense.
    My question: Does anyone else's stomach feel heavy? Like, when I stand up from lying down, it feels like a big weight shifting in my stomach. Is this par for the course?
    6) What food/drink/activity do you miss the most? Runny eggs, lox, two cups of coffee, wine, riding roller coasters. @galentine I still eat froyo on occasion, but the listeria thing is always in the back of my mind, too.

TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @galentine Both my husband and I worked at DQs in high school (different ones/towns and we didn't even meet until about ten years after I graduated). As long as you know the DQ you want to go to is well-managed and relatively clean - you should be able to tell just by being inside one - I assure you that the machines are clean. At my DQ we actually cleaned the machines every night.

And for what it's worth, I've had more than my fair share of Moolattes since finding out I was pregnant (they have ice cream, slush, coffee, and mocha flavor in them). 🙊
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @elle-0409, yes, my belly feels heavy too. I don't really notice unless I'm lying on my back or standing up from a lying position.

I feel like I'm getting the opposite kinds of comments, where people are like, "you still have 18 weeks to go?! You're so big already!" Ummmm. Okay thanks. Why do people feel the need to insert their commentary on a woman's size? 

Also, this week I was NOT PLEASED with that site I sent you. It was the first week I was outside of the recommend weight range, and I felt it was entirely unnecessary for the site to point it out to me in bold red font. Rude!
  • Options
    @galentine I am definitely having the same body image issues.  I’m trying my hardest to enjoy every second of it and remind myself that it’s only temporary.  Also, I worked HARD to get this body, it wasn’t an easy journey.  (These things have helped out a lot).  On my registry I’m well over 200 items but that includes some clothes and things I plan on buying myself.  

@elle-0409 thank you for starting this!  I was thinking us FTM needed one.  Happy 6months!!! Hope you really enjoy time at home with your mama!! Yes!  The heavy belly thing for sure.  I leaned over in the garden yesterday and the weight of it caught me off balance.

@meagan-t my first job was also at a DQ!! 
  • Options
    1) How many weeks are you?/EDD? 23 weeks today!  Officially 6 months

Physically I feel a pretty good.  A little bit of hip pain that I’m trying to correct with good stretches.  I finally got a cute maternity swim suit and talking myself into feeling good about my new body has been a task for sure.
    not till June 14th for the 24 week check up.  Can you believe that after July’s appointment we start going every 2 weeks 😱
    4) Rants/Raves?
    Going to the beach this weekend!!  It’s with all my female coworkers and I can’t drink but it’s the beach!!  
    Any of you FTM’s planning on doing an unmedicated birth?  I’m planning on being medicated but was wondering where everyone else was at on this.
    6) What food/drink/activity do you miss the most? Wine.... and floating in the river.  
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @galentine you’re not alone. I really struggle with the body changes throughout pregnancy. I really just feel fat as I grow bigger even though I know it’s par for the course. one thing that helped was packing up my regular clothes so I don’t see them every day. 

And yea, the heavy belly is normal 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    @galentine I have eaten soft serve a few times and not worried about it. I've mentioned this book earlier but Expecting Better by Emily Oster put me at ease on some of these rules.

@elle-0409 yes my stomach feels so heavy! esp if I lay on my back it just feels like this weird heavy weight. Super uncomfortable.

Re: body image, me too. I've always been really active and due to placenta previa am on pelvic rest and not allowed to exercise besides walking. I just feel like a soft little blob. Also, I'm not quite as far along as you all so I'm still in this awkward, maybe she's just sorta fat phase. I hate it. 

@emily1052 I would love to do an unmedicated birth. But I am trying not to fixate on it because I am high risk and also currently have placenta previa, so a lot can happen between now and birth that we just need to be prepared for. I am terrified of an epidural and/or c-section, but also know it is what it is and I'll do whatever I need to for baby to get here safely.

1) How many weeks are you?/EDD? 19+5/ Oct 25. I feel behind!! 

Lots of RPL and crampy from time to time. I still wouldn't say I am ravenous. Also, unfortunately I tried to quit my prescription anti-nausea (Bonjesta, a cousin of Diglecis) this weekend and puked the ENTIRE weekend. I'm wondering if I'll have to take it my whole pregnancy.
    Next Tuesday the 11th for my anatomy scan at last!! I failed the maternal serum AFP test twice, so I'm pretty nervous about the anatomy scan and any neural tube defects (we had a scan at 16 weeks that looked normal, but I just have this weird fear the baby was too small at that time to truly tell). 

4) Rants/Raves? 
    Rant - pelvic rest is hard, y'all. It's harder on DH but I definitely miss the intimacy. It's been 6 weeks! 
    5) Questions for FTM or STM+? not right now.

6) What food/drink/activity do you miss the most? SUSHI. Wine. Working out. 

• Options
    @obsessedwithoranges, I'm sending good thoughts your way for a good A/S. I hope everything looks great with little baby, and that the AFPs were a fluke. ❤
  • Options
    @obsessedwithoranges sorry you’re still pukey!!  I hope that you’re are able to eventually get off the meds.  I’ll be sending you all the good thoughts for a wonderful AS!!  
  • Options
    @emily1052 Yay, six months! It's so hard to believe that we are inching closer to the third trimester. To answer your question, in a perfect world I would like to have an unmedicated birth. I have no idea if I'll actually be able to pull this off, though. I'm just now starting to read up on the actually delivery process and need to learn about all of the "tricks" to help facilitate that choice.
    @obsessedwithoranges I'm so sorry about your nausea! That sounds awful, and I hope that it doesn't last you this whole pregnancy. GL at the anatomy scan! I'll have my fingers crossed that all is well with your little one.
    @galentine I reread what I wrote body image issues and it sounded super humble-braggy, which was not my intent. I was trying to convey that reactions are a mixed bag with me. For example, your website calculator thinks I'm the size of a small planet and should readjust my eating habits, while in real life people don't think I look pregnant enough. It's like I can't win. I saw your HDBD picture and you look absolutely perfect! I'm sorry that you are feeling down, but it's totally normal. We should stop listening to other people (and internet calculators) and enjoy this beautiful journey as our bodies change to accommodate growing, healthy babies.
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• Options
    @elle-0409, oh I didn't take your comment as humble-bragging at all! 😊 I can see how that would be equally frustrating and upsetting to have people commenting on how "small" you seem and what they could be implying about your baby's size or health. Other people just need to mind their own beeswax! 

And I agree, I really should step away from the online calculators and ignore those who comment on my size. I think I'm just fixating on it this week because I'm not feeling my most attractive right now. But I'm trying to remember my body is busy creating a human life, which is an incredible feat and going to take its toll on my body is some ways. And even if I'm uncomfortable with my body right now, it's still so worth it. 
  • Options
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• Options
    @elle-0409, just replace Ann with Elle 😘

@emily1052, I haven't done enough research yet, but I'm not opposed to an epidural during delivery. Where are you doing your research? I should really start paying more attention to birth plans. 
  • Options
    @galentine I’ve been reading “Expecting Better”, “Expecting 411”, and the good ‘ol fashion “What to Expect When Your Expecting”.  Plus friend/family experience and the stories our STM/TTM+ have shared. I have a rough idea of my preferences but my main goal is to stay as flexible as possible.  There are so many variables that I just want to prepare myself for everything to change in an instant.  If that’s even possible to prepare for... 🙈 
  • Options
    @emily1052 I'm literally reading the chapter "To Epidural or Not to Epidural?" in Expecting Better right now. It's such a great book!
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• Options
    elle-0409 said:
    @emily1052 I'm literally reading the chapter "To Epidural or Not to Epidural?" in Expecting Better right now. It's such a great book!
    I completely agree! 
  • Options
    @emily1052 just from my friend circle, it seems like the best laid birth plans often go completely awry. I’m also trying to be very open and flexible. And “expecting better” kind of scared me off the epidural. Have you heard of laughing gas as an alternative pain reliever? There was an NYT article about it making a resurgence in the US ... apparently it’s very common elsewhere in the world like Canada and Australia. I want to see if my hospital offers it! 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    For those terrified of epidurals, I will put it this way- if the pain becomes too unbearable, your fears won’t inhibit you and the nurses will be there to help you through the placement. A skilled anesthesiologist will make it so you don’t even see the needle (and they don’t make baby drowsy- it’s the IV narcotics that do that)

yes, I’m totally crashing your thread. Carry on 🙈
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    ^wss. My philosophy was that if/when I reached the point where a giant needle in my back sounded preferable to the alternative, I would get an epidural. I reached that point. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @obsessedwithoranges even after reading it I still plan on getting one if I can.  I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks for me.
    I have heard of that, I forget the article but it was really interesting.  I’ve never actually had laughing gas so I don’t know exactly how it would make me feel.  I’d kind of like to have my wits about me during labor but then again, I’ve never been through labor either.  

@cmbt2 crash away!!  I personally value your opinion 😊 
  • Options
    Also crashing for epidural thoughts,  though I went in fully planning to get it. The nurse knew when it was time. My anesthesiologist was a total ass (seriously, another 1 I saw after knew which one I was complaining about just on his actions alone) but he was good. I never saw the needle. The nurse kept me good and distracted. With a long labor it was a godsend. I would not have gotten any rest without it.

My only complaint was that by the time it wore off and I could walk, I was in soooo much pain because my bladder was too full (and I know it was that since I felt immensely better after). I plan to ask for a 2nd cath after delivery to avoid that this time.
  • Options
    @cmbt2 @greenbean-2 please crash! this is valuable input and it definitely puts it into perspective.

@emily1052 apparently you do have your wits about you and can move around more which is why women are beginning to choose it. here's the article: https://parenting.nytimes.com/pregnancy/nitrous-oxide-laughing-gas-labor?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage
    I'm not opposed to the idea of an epidural as pain relief (minus my abject fear of huge needles and being unable to move my legs) and that's a total game time decision for me, but I'm trying to read up on alternatives so I know all the options! 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @cmbt2 @greenbean-2 please crash! this is valuable input and it definitely puts it into perspective.

@emily1052 apparently you do have your wits about you and can move around more which is why women are beginning to choose it. here's the article: https://parenting.nytimes.com/pregnancy/nitrous-oxide-laughing-gas-labor?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage
    I'm not opposed to the idea of an epidural as pain relief (minus my abject fear of huge needles and being unable to move my legs) and that's a total game time decision for me, but I'm trying to read up on alternatives so I know all the options! 
    You can have them lessen the dosage, too. They should titrate it up. I had full control of my legs, they just felt heavier than normal
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options

Thank you for sharing that article!  I added the topic to my list of questions to talk to my OB about.  Is it weird to say that I’d want to try it before hand to see how it makes me feel?  I do like the “if you don’t like the effects, take the mask off” aspect though.  
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:

You can have them lessen the dosage, too. They should titrate it up. I had full control of my legs, they just felt heavier than normal
    I still had control of my legs too and could feel enough pressure during the contractions to know when to push. My nurse upped the dosage while I was getting stitched up, and I’m grateful for that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cmbt2 @greenbean-2 that's so helpful to hear that you both had control of your legs. One of my friends didn't  - maybe she just had a bad anesthesiologist. 
  • Options
    Soooo I’m behind! 

I definitely still eat eat ice cream. I had heard this before and asked my dr and she acted like I was the first person to ask her. I’m too lazy to see who said what, but I agree with pp whom said to look around and see if it’s clean. If it looks clean, I eat the ice cream.

I also feel the heaviness down there occasionally. I usually question it briefly and then just move on. It’s definitely a weird sensation!

My initial plan was no epidural, mostly because of needles. I figured I’d make the decision in the moment once I see how strong contractions are/how long it takes. I’m happy to hear that some didn’t see the needle and some still had leg control. I’m thinking I’ll still plan on not, but I’ll just see how it goes. I’m not opposed to it.
  • Options
    1) How many weeks are you?/EDD? 21 weeks 4 days;10/12 
    2) How are you feeling? (physically, emotionally, all the feels) Pretty emotional and still tired, but getting better
    3) Appointments this month? Friday! Normal check up
    4) Rants/Raves?
    5) Questions for FTM or STM+? So many all the time, but of course I’m blanking right now
    6) What food/drink/activity do you miss the most? Workout classes. I was a nervous one when I first found out we were expecting and was afraid to move. I skipped the gym so much I was afraid to pick up classes again when I started going back to the gym. It hasn’t happened yet, but there’s a brewery that puts out a raspberry sour that it’s delicious. I haven’t missed alcohol yet, but I know it’s coming when that sour comes out! They put so many raspberries in it! I’m sure I’ll settle for a raspberry malt! I also already told my husband that we’re buying some and hoping it’s still good after baby gets here!