September 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY- TBT

Tell us about yourself when you were a young teenager!

Favorite music, TV shows, hobbies?
How dorky were you?  Or were you one of those cool 13 year olds?  ;)

ashley going GIF

Re: GTKY- TBT

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Ohhh man. I was so awkward for the longest time, and then when I grew out of my ugly ducking phase I didn’t know how to handle the attention from boys. I was a mix of Hollister and Hot Topic. Watching shows like Teen Mom, Laguna Beach, and Viva La Bam. I loved My Chemicals Romance, Fall Out Boy, and Taking Back Sunday, all before they “sold out” of course. I wore way too much black eye liner and plucked my eyebrows to near extinction!
    Here I am age 16 at a party thinking I was sooo grown! 

• Options
    I've always been one of those good (boring) kids. At the top of my class in school, took dance classes 4 nights a week, babysat the entire neighborhood. I was friends with people in different groups and had a few long-term boyfriends (fun fact: DH is the 3rd guy I've slept with, and only the 5th I've kissed). I was into the fake punk-actually pop music, like the old Warped Tour days with Katy Perry and We the Kings. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 good god, the amount of money I must've spent on eyeliner as a teenager... :joy:
    @cammie0526 good =/= boring! I was a good kid at heart trying to pretend like I was bad lol.

Ugh I was the worrrrst as a teenager. High school was such an awkward time for me. I went through a lot of different phases-- emo, goth, artsy, theater kid, stoner... You'd think I would've got better in college, but I ended up going through a huge "hippie" phase, dreadlocks included. I have journals and journals of poetry and short stories I wrote in high school, and man is that shit painful to read. At heart, I was always just an insecure dork who thought she was fat and that her real interests would never be cool enough.
  • Options
    This post was inspired by hearing a 30 Seconds to Mars song on the radio yesterday, which led me to think about Jared Leto, and therefore My So-Called Life.  Did anyone else watch that or am I the oldest person in the room again?

jared leto my edit GIF
    jared leto my edit GIF
    jared leto my edit GIF

I was a pretty huge nerd.  LOL, like that changed at all...  I was in all the school clubs and activities and sports.  Honor roll.  Didn't really have any enemies.  I'd watch reruns of Saved by the Bell a million times after school, and I really liked My So-Called Life and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, lol. 

• Options
    @duewithpu2 what is that, a 40?   :D  You little badass!
  • Options
    @themadcamel Hippie dreads? You must be my soul sister. 

I would describe myself as indifferent. I wasn't part of the cool kids club, but I wasn't a nerd and I definitely wasn't a smart kid either. I hung out with a few different folks from all of the groups and got pretty average grades (B's). I was a little bit of a trouble maker in my free time, but also had a job at a bank and was in drill team. The only thing I can say for sure is that I was NOT an athlete. lol. 
  • Options
    @RedBreast35 I loooved My So Called Life. Actually people used to say I reminded them of Angela... So there you go on what I was like. At age 13 I was a total nerd but by high school I was hanging with punk rockers, stoners, and ravers. However it was a small school so we all hung out together. Some were still jocks and a bunch of us were in honors classes too. I was definitely 2nd wheel to a couple super popular best friends though.
  • Options
    I was all over the place as a teenager. Always very friendly and outgoing so I had friends in pretty much every group, but also a "good girl" (didn't sneak out, didn't drink a lot, got pretty good grades, never got in trouble, etc.). I dabbled in everything including soccer (spoiler alert, I was horrible), marching and concert band, color guard, yearbook, drama, and cheerleading. It was when I did cheerleading that I started partying more and hanging with a bad crowd. Thank goodness I started dating my first serious boyfriend around that time and only wanted to hang with him because they all actually started doing ecstasy and coke around that same time. He and I broke up a few months later and when I started hanging out with them again it was like "hooollyyyy sh*t, what happened to you guys!" so I parted ways with them. 

On an average Friday night, you could find me driving around with my friends listening to pop punk or crunk music, wearing American Eagle and putting on way too much lip gloss. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    We are road tripping it to the volcanoes right now. Woo!

I am firmly who I was back in HS, lol. Major nerd (hello Honor Society! Straight As for days), and pretty darn athletic. Although you could argue that my sports of choice were not the most glamorous - running cross country and track. All of my friends were just like me, smart and fairly athletic. I hung out with the same kids for years (in classes and extracurricular activities) and legit didn’t recognize some people who were in my class at a Senior grad event.

Usually we just hung out at a friends house and played a variation of pitch (card game). We watched a boatload of movies and never got in trouble. I once lied to my Mom about studying at a friends house and we went to go see Harry Potter again. I didn’t want my Mom judging me for seeing it in the movies like 3 times! 🤣 I was more into music in college. And what I listen to now is totally different. I went through an alt rock, pop-punk rock, country and (now) oldies phase. Lol. 
  • Options
    I constantly felt awkward, and was bookish, quiet, and a good student who found school really boring. We were pretty rural and I didn't have transportation to hang out with friends - so I had friends, but we basically just socialized at school. My extracurricular was music, but I HATED practicing, and I frequently babysat kids who lived walking distance from me (up to a mile - sometimes my dad or their parents would give me rides but I didn't want to depend on it). We didn't have a computer at home, it was long distance to call almost everyone else at my school (we were on the edge of the next service area), and I was an only child, so I spent a lot of time alone and I read A LOT and was generally extremely boring. I had a lot of catching up to do with pop culture when I went to college. I literally only listened to classical music in middle school because it's all my parents ever put on (although the school bus driver did play a lot of Celine Dion) - I can barely listen to classical music at all now, it reminds me so strongly of my childhood. And I was one of those kids whose parents only lets them watch PBS. I was not cool!
  • Options
    Oh man, I think I hit every personality possible from 13-18! In 8th grade I was friends with everyone in my class and invited all the girls to my birthday party and everyone came. I mostly hung with the popular girls, but I was all the guys “ best friend” and was desperate for a boy to give me romantic attention... but I was always the friend! I also tried a two month phase of heavy black eyeliner and “going punk” because Avril Lavigne was the shit. In high school I played basketball, volleyball and track, was a kid who got As and Bs and thought that was just fine without trying, while most of my friends arrived for that 4.0 and had study sessions. Soooo boy crazy in HS and pretty much always had a boyfriend (I wanted love and marriage and babies from a young age) I loved and still love country music. Partied a lot, sometimes thought I was the shit, other times thought I was such a loser. Was heavily involved in our youth group. And always thought I was fat when I wasn’t, at all! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker