November 2019 Moms

Birth: Plans, Goals and Questions

We are cruising right along through this pregnancy, and this topic has been coming up more and more. 

Feel free to post anything birth related, here are just a few questions to get us started:

Do you know where you will be giving birth?

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth?

Are you nervous about any aspect of birth? Excited?

What are your main plans/goals/wishes for birth? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birth: Plans, Goals and Questions

• Loading the player...
  • ABabyMarshallABabyMarshall member
    edited May 2019
    Do you know where you will be giving birth?

Yes, probably one of the most popular and busy hospitals in our city, but it has a great reputation. My first was born in a different, decidedly more prestigious hospital and it was also very busy so I guess we'll just see when we see.
    ETA: I didn't feel like we received the kind of treatment we would from such a great hospital, but maybe my expectations were unrealistic. We were in triage in active labor for 14+ hours. 😳

Reading everything I can get my hands on to read!

I'm definitely nervous about the plethora of complications with baby or me but that's why I'm reading everything I can to stay informed of all possibilities. I am also pretty excited, my first labor was pretty textbook and, luckily, uneventful. Hoping for the same or even better!!

I'm hoping for a healthy uncomplicated labor and delivery. I'm not committing my mind for things to go any way because things can change in an instant. I don't think I have what it takes to go med-free unless it is fast and furious and I have no choice. I'm comfortable with that. 😊
  • JBos82JBos82 member
    Giving birth at the same hospital as my previous two. We live about 25 minutes away now as opposed to 10, but it’s worth the drive.

Ordering some comfy clothes and going to order some random baby stuff I didn’t have before to make the third time easier (nice bassinet, double stroller, etc.).

Not really nervous. It’ll be my third c-section so I anticipate a worse recovery than before, but I’ll get through it. Lots of meds and ice packs. Definitely excited!! 

Just to get through it. I always feel nervous during the process because so much can go wrong, but ultimately it’s not that bad. I just feel better once I’m being wheeled out of the OR. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • KurtniKurtni member
    @JBos82 what bassinet are you thinking about? I’m considering splurging on a Halo (or hopefully finding a good deal on a used one) in case I have another csection. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ABabyMarshall I had a fast a furious med free delivery with my third. I preferred the slower progression with my 4th. It gave a good build up to transition, whereas, with my third, I was 7 cm dilated and still not in active labor. All i was feeling was mild menstrual cramps when it did start and i didn't even need to breathe through the contractions at all. Then my midwife decided to break my water to get things moving. I went straight into transition and it was way more painful than with my 4th. Mainly because there was no progressive build up. He was born 15 minutes after she broke my water. I was only in labor for 3 hours. 
  • blg116blg116 member
    Holy crap I'm feeling so unprepared for anything reading through everyone's game plans lol
  • alaluapalaluap member
    @angieeeeee me too 😬 I'm signed up for a few prenatal classes, but wasn't planning to do the birth ones until 3rd trimester - perhaps I should reconsider that plan!
  • Do you know where you will be giving birth?
    I'll be at the same hospital where I did last time, it's about 30 minutes away. 

Well, not right now, but I do plan to read a lot about VBAC attempts and try to do basic research into some pain/labor coping techniques. I'll start this later in second tri and then really try to get serious about the coping techniques in third tri.  

I'm very nervous since (assuming no other complications present themselves) I will be attempting a VBAC. I'm terrified I will go through the whole labor again and then will still need a CS due to failure to descend or something like that. I'm also nervous to have to be away from my son for that long if I do have a CS and am in the hospital three nights. I'm also a little nervous that the MFM I hate will be on call when I'm in labor. He was on call for part of my labor with DS, and I saw him consistently throughout that pregnancy for DS' kidneys. He's really unfeeling and just a terrible person.

Mainly, I'd like to stay calmer this time. I was not very calm last time. I hope I can hold out on the epidural for as long as possible. I hope I get my VBAC, but if not, I hope like @Kurtni that I feel feelings of acceptance and happiness that the procedure kept me safe and brought my daughter safely into the world. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 wow! I agree, labor is I think supposed to be a slow progression where we sort of ease into it. That must have been crazy for you!!

@creamcheeseplease good luck on your VBAC! And definitely stay open minded about other possibilities. I think it makes a big difference with post partem and recovery.

• @Kurtni I had the Halo and loved it.  It’s super easy to swivel around and height adjustable so it can glide over your bed a few inches which was easier to keep my hand on him to settle him.  Also, this time around with a toddler i’ll feel good about it because it is super heavy and won’t get knocked over by my crazy boy!
    Same hospital I had my son at.  They have a NICU and good l&d.  My mil works in l&d and maternity (both of our moms are labor and delivery nurses!) there so we know a lot of the nurses through her, it makes it much more comfortable!  She helped us make decisions regarding induction last time around and could be with us freely which was very reassuring.  Our hospital is also close to Boston so if need be, it’s a quick ride in to the city hospitals.  

I’d like to look into hypnobirthing this time around.  I’ll reread a book or two, but other than that I’d like to focus on preparing physically with some yoga and stretching.  

I’m excited to do it again, but nervous that it’ll be traumatic again.  I honestly liked labor, but things went downhill fast and got a bit scary for a while, so I’m really hoping all goes smoothly this time around.  

A healthy baby and a smooth delivery, however that may be.  I’d like to go med free, maybe use nitrous oxide.  I had a lengthy induction due to hypertension last time and made it to 10cm when they had to give me an epidural for the emergency c section we never had, so I know I can do it, and I would prefer not to have labor slowed down again due to the epidural.  But, I’m easy going and will make a game time decision!  I just want to enjoy it!
  • KurtniKurtni member
    @creamcheeseplease I’m afraid of failure to progress too. I would rather have a scheduled csection than labor for 20 hours and have an unplanned. Surgery after labor was such a crappy experience. But still crossing my fingers for a VBAC!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @angieeeeee & @alaluap - You don't necessarily have to do prenatal classes earlier than 3rd trimester but I definitely recommend at least signing up.  Where I was in the DC area classes went FAST.  Hospital Tour is definitely a must if it is available and you are at a different hospital also make sure to bring your partner or whomever you think might be taking you when your are laboring, always helps to have 2 people remembering where to go. 

Do you know where you will be giving birth? Yes.  3rd kid, 3rd hospital.  Yay insurance changes and moves.  Nothing is ever the same.

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth? Pack a bag & take the hospital tour

Are you nervous about any aspect of birth? Excited?  Excited for it to happen.  I have been body sharing between nursing and pregnancy for the past 6 years so I am ready to have my body back.

What are your main plans/goals/wishes for birth?  Happy and healthy.

• I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for y'all since this is my first baby, but here are my plans as of now:

Do you know where you will be giving birth?  We are planning for a home birth.  We know a very good team of midwives who live / practice just up the street from us.  We already met with them and had a very positive impression, and I know someone else who delivered at home with them and said "I would have a 3rd child just to work with them again."

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth?  We will be taking classes, not sure which ones yet, and reading up as well.  Of course, also prepping the birthing area when the time draws near.

Are you nervous about any aspect of birth? Excited?  I just want it all to be healthy for me and the baby!  Don't want to write about fears too much, but yes the process does scare me a bit.  I'm excited to experience it, though, and to meet our new addition when he arrives.

What are your main plans/goals/wishes for birth?  For everything to turn out OK :-).  Of course the hope is that we can have it at home, but of course we will do whatever the midwives say.  They have been doing this for decades and will know best! 
  • rae605rae605 member
    Do you know where you will be giving birth? Same hospital we had ours twins at. About 45 minute drive and a ferry ride from our house!

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth? Not for the birth, but for bringing home baby. Once we find out the sex I will sort through or get rid of the boy clothes I have. We also need to turn the spare room (which is essential a clutter holding tank right now) into a nursery.

I am a bit nervous. My twins delivery couldn't have gone better...after a crazy pregnancy with over 2 months of hospital bedrest I was lucky to have a relatively non-eventful vaginal birth with an amazing epidural! They were born early but only needed 2 weeks in the NICU.
    I am worried because this time I know I won't be having weekly ultrasounds, so my pregnancy won't be monitored quite as closely. I'm also worried because my last delivery went so surprisingly smoothly, that this one will not. My final worry is that I won't know when I'm in labour. With the twins I had the classic movie "water breaking" scenario so it was extremely obvious it was go-time lol.

I am going in with no firm plans, just like last time. I will probably choose to have an epidural again if I can, but that's not set in stone. Like others have said, I just want a happy and healthy delivery for baby and me!
  • Kurtni said:
    @creamcheeseplease I’m afraid of failure to progress too. I would rather have a scheduled csection than labor for 20 hours and have an unplanned. Surgery after labor was such a crappy experience. But still crossing my fingers for a VBAC!
    Crossing fingers for us both! The failure to progress is officially why I had my CS last time. I guess I'm just grateful I never pushed first before the CS..
  • perfectoopsperfectoops member
    edited May 2019

I will be giving birth at the same hospital used for the first two.  It’s super close to my house and has an excellent reputation.  It’s more of a birthing spa or retreat than a hospital setting.  Love it!  They are very pro-VBAC, which made my last experience so wonderful.

My first (boy) was a c-section.  He was born 10lbs and I think I had an undetected case of GD.  My second (girl) was a VBAC.  Found out this baby is a boy, and I’m honestly trying to watch my weight gain and make healthy food choices.  I want another vaginal birth, and don’t want to do anything to prevent that.  I also found out I have a uterine fibroid the size of a peach, so I’ve been reading up on foods to eat to help prevent the fibroid from growing rapidly during pregnancy.  I’ve also been researching strategies to bring on labor that will come in handy 3rd trimester.  Will definitely be following some of those tips!  I’m going to try and labor as much at home as possible before heading to the hospital – I always stall when I get there.  I’ve also got a spreadsheet of everything baby related to stay on top of things (baby needs, hospital bag packing, labor playlist, freezer meals, lactation boosters, etc)

I’m nervous about having another big boy.  My first was 10lbs.

My main goals are to have another vaginal birth safely with a healthy baby and mom. 

• JBos82JBos82 member
    @Kurtni I’m planning on the Halo! I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. We only ever used the pack and play with my other two, but I still had to get out of bed and bend to get them out of it. I like the idea of having one right up to the bed. We coslept for-ev-er with my second and she was mainly in the bed with us. I really didn’t love doing that, so I’d like something that just sidles up next to me but gives this one her own space.

I’m kind of on the fence right now. I gave birth to both my sons at a hospital 45 minutes away (the one closer to me has a bad reputation). I had amazing midwives who let me do my thing naturally, with no IV because I’m bad with needles and I knew that would upset me. The problem is I’ve always wanted an at home water birth (I labored pretty much the whole time in the tub). There are midwives who do home births around me but my husband is just scared. I trust my body and Labor and pushing was identical for both pregnancies. Right now I haven’t been receiving the best care from the midwives and they seem extremely busy and there is one who I cannot stand and if she is there when I’m in labor I will refuse her. At this point I’m in limbo and don’t know what to do. If I do an at home birth the nearest hospital is 15 minutes away....thoughts?

I will start reading my natural child birth books around 2nd/3rd trimester to prepare mentally. 

Im excited! I loved giving birth to my boys and it seemed so easy. The only hard part was the pushing for me. The burning the sensation I don’t care for so much but it comes and goes so fast. 

All natural . All though, if I plan to give birth at the hospital they have just started using Nitrous Oxide and I think I might give that a whirl when the contractions start getting more painful. My sister had an epidural her first and her second she used this and didn’t need one. She said it didn’t really work at the end though lol. 
  • bmmimsbmmims member
    Do you know where you will be giving birth? Hospital 

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth? I doing a lot more reading this time to prepare and so is my partner. 

Are you nervous about any aspect of birth? Excited? I am scared shitless to be honest... My first birth was tough. I had a partial 3rd degree tear and they aren't forcing, just highly suggesting I consider a CS this time. Only because of the unpredictability of it happening again and tearing further into my sphincter muscle, to which I could lose control of my bowels. She said all could go well or not. Even more confusing is dealing with a multi doctor practice where I am getting different information each time I go. Yesterdays appt was draining and I left feeling really defeated that this could be my outcome. 

What are your main plans/goals/wishes for birth? My goal was to have a med free vaginal delivery. my partner and I have been planning and researching for this. I am a STM with a traumatic first birth to which I think had a lot to do with too quick medical interventions. I was too unprepared to question anything. 
  • I was curious about Failure to Progress, and looking around a bit I found this website that has very well-written articles based on peer-reviewed medical research.  Thought it might be useful to post here as well:

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/category/signature-articles/
  • Do you know where you will be giving birth? Same hospital as with my first. It is the only place my OB delivers, but I am happy with it. It has a good NICU, and I had a positive experience last time.

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth? I am doing Kegels. I took all the classes last time, and they were great for peace of mind, but I didn't use much from them during labor.

Are you nervous about any aspect of birth? Excited? Nervous about complications, but excited to meet this baby!

What are your main plans/goals/wishes for birth? I had an epidural last time, and I'm going to try for a med-free birth this time, but that may well not happen. I'm really just hoping for a safe and healthy delivery!
  • @wackygurl316 I used nitrous with my first, it works well but quick, so beware haha.  I used it when they gave me a cervical catheter to dilate me and did not realize I had to remove it from my face...I’ve never felt that high in my life, I literally thought I died in the moment.  I can laugh about it now, and my husband certainly does since he said I was just staring straight at the ceiling and they were trying to talk to me.  After two breaths I was so out of it I just left it there and continued to breathe in.  The nurse didn’t give me any instruction, so just in case they don’t for you too, now you know!  I was scarred after that experience to use it during labor, but I’ll try again this time around if need be.  
  • gadzooks_3gadzooks_3 member
    edited May 2019
    @creamcheeseplease and @Kurtni good luck! I had a c-section last time too, after 20+ hours of unmedicated pitocin labor.  My DS has a big ol' head and was a big baby (11lbs 4oz) his head just wouldn't engage.   I wanted a "natural birth" so much, I feel like it made postpartum so much harder because I took the section as a "failure." This time I am hoping for a VBAC but it just depends on the size whether that is a feasible goal. 
  • @rogro118 omg I can see how that can be a little scary! My sister had it and I wasn’t there when they gave her the instructions but she told me they just said she had to hold it all on her own. It Deff made her relax. I’m usually relaxed all the way up until like 8 cm then it gets a little tough from there so I’ll hang in without it until I need it and then go from there! I am excited to see if it eases the pain a little bit! 

Oh and she only used it during contractions and then set it aside. She didn’t like the noise it made either. 
  • KurtniKurtni member
    @drama_llama Thanks, good luck to you too! I feel fortunate that I honestly feel very positively about my csection. We tried so many things to avoid a csection, so when it finally came down to it, I knew it was the best and only option left. You are definitely not a failure, that’s a big baby. 😲
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • klstone25klstone25 member
    edited May 2019
    Do you know where you will be giving birth? Same hospital as with my DD. 

Are you doing anything to prepare for birth? I'm actually writing a birth plan this time around. I was trying to be more go with the flow last time, but this time around, I want to be much more explicit in my preferences. 

Are you nervous about any aspect of birth? Excited? I'm so nervous about having a faulty epidural again.  During my last labor, the anesthesiologist had a very difficult time inserting the needle and it took him almost 30 minutes to do so. When he was finished, he said "You were that hardest one that I've done in months." I just knew it wasn't going to go well after that and of course I was right. I remember looking at the monitor and seeing the contractions. For small contractions, I barely felt anything. However, for all of the strong ones, I felt everything.  I ended up just dealing with the pain because I knew I wouldn't be able to sit still for another 30 minutes to have him reinsert the needle again. I talked to my midwife about this at my 6 week pp visit with DD and she recommended that I schedule a consult with anesthesia prior to delivery next time. I plan to bring this up again once we get through all of the genetic screening and anatomy scan. 

What are your main plans/goals/wishes for birth?  Ideally, an epidural that actually works.  Also, I can't stress this enough. There will be absolutely no interns/students assisting during my labor and delivery! I allowed a midwife intern to help last time and it was my biggest mistake. She tried to check me once and couldn't figure out how much I was dilated. After that, I requested that only a midwife or doctor check me.  While that was bad enough, I just couldn't get over the dumb things that she would say. And yes this actually came out of her mouth. I was in the worst pain that I have ever experienced in my life and was visibly shaking. She asked me "Are you shaking because your nervous about becoming a mom?"  

eta: typo
    Me: 36  DH: 40
    Together since 2007 | Married June 2013

TTC #1: June 2015
    BFP: 11/9/16 |  EDD: 7/22/17
       <3 DD born 7/16/17

TTC #2: December 2018
    BFP: 2/26/19 | EDD: 11/7/19
    <3 DS born 11/3/19 

TTC #3: January 2024
    Mirena out 1/23/24
  • @klstone25 I don't let students or interns practice on me either. Or residents for that matter. I had a resident tell me I was going to have to get a csection if I didn't start progressing faster. I had only been in labor for 2 hours. 🙄 Apparently, she needed me to tell my cervix to hurry it up down there. 
  • @klstone25 My first epidural didn't work, either.  I opted for a second, but it was really painful and took longer than the first.  I almost wish I didn't mess with epidural at all.  Good point on students/residents, etc.  I hadn't even thought about that.
  • ABabyMarshallABabyMarshall member
    edited May 2019
    @klstone25 I also gave birth at a teaching hospital and while I don't think anyone checked me other than my doctor, my anethesiologist came in with a student for the epidural and I don't know who actually placed it. They were laughing a lot and there was definitely nothing funny and when I told them I felt pinching and stinging they asked if I was really feeling pain or just pressure. They made me feel like shit basically. I also had a spectating student at my birth and he didn't touch me but had a front row seat. At that point, it didn't matter I guess and in the end he told my family in the waiting room it was a beautiful delivery. 😂 Would definitely prefer not to be a test subject lol
  • TW 

@ABabyMarshall I got an epidural when I delivered my Angel baby. It was just taking too long and I was sick of feeling the discomfort. The anesthesiologist started stabbing me with the needle before the numbing stuff took effect. I kept telling her I felt pain but she kept telling me it was only pressure. I was so upset by the time she got done. I will never get another one after that experience. If something happens and I need an emergency C, they can just knock me out. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 I'm so sorry that you went through that on top of what I'm sure was a difficult time, and I totally understand not wanting to go through with one again. They should really trust a patient to know the difference between pain and pressure. 
  • @ABabyMarshall Exactly! We have pain receptors, we KNOW when we are feeling pain. 
  • kj17-2kj17-2 member
    I had two students assist the nurse with both DD's first bath and my bath in the hospital after she was born. They were both so sweet, kind and gentle. They really helped me (I was weak from hemorrhaging so much blood and couldn't get my arm wet because the IV was still in). But I would definitely be uncomfortable with a student assisting with my epidural or delivery.
  • @emeraldcity1214 I wonder what fantasy land that resident lived in that they thought labor would only take 2 hours. Maybe it's time to go back to medical school?  :D  And I'm so sorry that you had such a bad epidural experience during what was understandably a traumatic time. I completely get why you wouldn't want another epidural ever again.  <3

@perfectoops See that's exactly why I didn't bother with getting it fixed. The contractions were much more frequent and intense than when I had first requested the epidural and I knew there was no way that I could sit still for that long again.  And yes, keep the interns away! lol

@ABabyMarshall  Because my anesthesiologist had such a hard time placing the epidural, I was unfortunately stuck with the needle multiple times.  I  felt a slight stinging for a few seconds each time, but it wasn't painful at all. I'm sorry they made you feel like that. You know your body and if you were feeling pain, you were! 
    Me: 36  DH: 40
    Together since 2007 | Married June 2013

TTC #1: June 2015
    BFP: 11/9/16 |  EDD: 7/22/17
       <3 DD born 7/16/17

TTC #2: December 2018
    BFP: 2/26/19 | EDD: 11/7/19
    <3 DS born 11/3/19 

TTC #3: January 2024
    Mirena out 1/23/24
  • @klstone25 DS2 had to have surgery when he was 2 months old so we were in the hospital for 5 days. A medical student came in to round before pre-rounds. 😡 I wasn't able to nurse him for 38 hours and my baby was starving and having difficulty sleeping. It was 5 am and we were both finally asleep in the recliner. Then she walked in and woke my baby to press on his stomach. 😡 when I realized she was just a medical student I was livid. I told them no more students. The residents were fine, mostly because my husband knew several of them from doing rotations in that specialty. Students have no clue what they are doing and they can stay far away from me. 

While in labor, most of the medical staff can stay away from me. 😂 DH pretty much does all my monitoring so there isn't a need for anyone else. Plus I don't allow cervical checks after my initial one upon arrival unless I am pretty positive I'm hitting transition. My water usually breaks and I don't like being threatened with the 12 hour time limit. DH always tells me I can be a difficult patient. 
  • JBos82JBos82 member
    Just because we’re talking epidurals, would it make me a psycho to ask them to insert my bladder catheter after I get my spinal instead of before? With my first, I think they did it after the epidural but I can’t remember. With my second, I went into labor and they did the catheter before I went in the OR. When I got in there, they were like “Straddle the table and arch your back like a cat.” Meanwhile the damn catheter is jabbing me up the urethra and I wanted to die. I don’t want to be the “demanding” pregnant lady that they eye roll, but that was probably the worst part of my last birth and I want to avoid that part if I can.

• @emeraldcity1214 you have every right to be difficult!  How awesome that your husband gets to be so involved.  

My midwife is a nursing professor at a local college, so she had several students with her when I was in recovery.  The day after I gave birth she asked if they could do the exam with her.  This poor girls, all of 19 years old getting a tour of my tears and hemmoroids 😂. I apologized to them and told to not let that deter them from having their own kids, I know it would have scared me!  They were awesome though, so sweet and great when they did all of the vital checks on my son for two days.  I’m a teacher myself, so I didn’t mind it at all, but I can see where a student anesthesiologist might be a bit scary.