September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 5/17 - Mattresses and Blankets

Mattresses:
  • Foam or innerspring?
  • Brands or specific ones you prefer?
  • Dual-sided or age specific?
  • What type of pads/bedding will you use?
Blankets:
  • What types of blankets do you plan on using?
  • NB: according to the AAP, loose blankets should not be used in cribs

Re: Product Spotlight 5/17 - Mattresses and Blankets

• Options
    kgg2241kgg2241 member
    Thanks for being so on top of these, @themadcamel. The mattress thing is stressing me out lol. There is such a big range in price points. And so so many out there. I keep getting ads for the Newton, but $300 seems very excessive. So is it?!? Idk! 

• Options
    I went with the Colgate Regal II Deluxe two stage mattress. It was $180.
    @kgg2241 I decided against a more expensive mattress since we will be using the Snoo for the first six months. My reasoning was that I wouldn't have to worry as much about her in the crib at that point so why spend the max amount of money on a mattress. Who knows if that logic even makes sense though :confused: .
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got the following mattress and mattress pad (prolly should get 2-3 of those). Works well, not too expensive and so far has held up to Olympic toddler gymnastic practice 🤣. Word of caution: Do NOT buy an additional mattress for your pack n’ play.

Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib & Toddler Bed Mattress

American Baby Company Waterproof Fitted Crib and Toddler Protective Mattress Pad Cover

My old boss told me she spent a ridiculous amount of $ on a mattress and warned me not to ::cough @kgg2241 cough::. I also didn’t want to accidentally put DS down on the “wrong” side of the 2 sided mattress so I just got a regular one.Most kids sleep so deeply and easily (and in random places to boot...) and they’re so damn young that they don’t have aches and pains yet.

DH’s boss got this blanket for us and it is so soft and warm. I use it all the time for our stroller walks in the winter. It is pretty thick, but not too thick.

• Options
    kgg2241kgg2241 member
    @themadcamel @lillywonderland Thanks, I'll look those up! I totally agree with your reasoning on not needing a super expensive mattress, Mad. We got the Snoo too, so she won't be in the crib for a while. 

• Options
    So jealous of all you Snoo mamas! We are using the mattress from DS so I don’t remember what brand, but I know it’s foam and not expensive or 2 sided. I will say a life saver was putting a waterproof mattress cover, a sheet, and then another waterproof mattress cover, and another sheet down so when baby leaks you can just rip it off and you have an already made bed 
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 Absolutely genius. 
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 I was told to do that too! Make lasagna out of mattress pads and sheets (all the layers) 
  • Options
    @cheshyre319 haha I love that you refer to it as make lasagna!!
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 It works for the middle of the night throw ups too! 
  • Options
    Mattresses:
    • We got a Sealy or something for baby #1 and honestly, though listed as firm, I felt it could've been firmer. Hoping to get a firmer one for this babe. The mattress is often waterproof, so just a fitted sheet here. I find the sheet easy enough to change that I didn't bother with all the layers. Never had an issue 
    Blankets:
    • For swaddling, jersey is hands down the best! The stretch and the way the material clings to itself makes such a perfect swaddle. KB Cute and Milkmaid have great option.
    • Once we stopped swaddling (by 8 week!) we switched to sleep sacks. Burts bees, Halo, some Amazon brand, they rock! Henry is 2 and still sleep sacking it. 
    • NB: according to the AAP, loose blankets should not be used in cribs. Up until at least 18 months! Just babe in the crib, nothing else. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    We use the Safety 1st mattress like @lillywonderland and it’s worked very well! Super durable and DS sleeps really well on it. Gonna get another one for this LO.

For blankets we just use Muslin swaddles. I have several Tula blankets that DS cycles through and have a small stash going for baby girl too. We didn’t put blankets in the crib until at least 18m. DS still kicks his off most nights.
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    At home we use shikibuton futons (4 in thick) which are super firm. We co sleep but if I was doing a Montessori floor bed for a little one they'd work well too. I admit to using a latex topper since about 16 weeks as it has saved my hips! It won't be on after baby though.
  • Options
    We have never really used blankets except as a covering when out and about, and just recently (like a month ago) at daycare. We are team halo or swaddleme swaddles and then sleep sacks. We have used them since day 1 and DS (just shy of two) still loves his. I could never quite get the swaddle right with blankets and halo makes both fleece and thin swaddles so we just went with those!
    Me: 30   DH:31 
    Married 9/2010
    TTC 10/2013
    RE Help from 10/2014-10/2016 (11 failed IUIs, a corrective surgery, and a donor embryo cycle)
    9/2016-transferred two donor embies
    BFP 9/29/26 EDD June 11
    BabyGaga BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bumping this as I was out shopping for mattresses recently and I know many of us are *finally* starting to assemble our nursery type spaces. 😉
  • Options
    @cheshyre319 replying to this and your post on another thread. Yeah, I was kind of shocked at the price of baby mattresses. We ended up getting the Colgate brand. It was around $120. It seems nice. Also, I've noticed white cribs aren't as popular anymore too. Kind of like white kitchens. I don't think you can go wrong with white though. It is still a timeless color!
  • Options
    @cheshyre319 I really wanted a white crib with some walnut wood accents. I ended up getting the Marley 3-in-1 on AllModern.com because there were so little options in stores. As for my mattress I went with a dual sided mattress called Big Oshi. We’ll see how it goes, it had good reviews and didn’t break the bank.

• Options
    @cmdesigner you have so much done! You’re giving me anxiety lol
  • Options
    @cmdesigner I'm loving seeing your space come together 
  • Options
    @cmdesigner ...do you use a day planner by any chance?
  • Options
    @lillywonderland why do you say not to get another mattress for the pack n play? I didn't think we needed one but my mom's insisting and honestly I can't even find one....
  • Options
    @nightdreamr13 They’re not rated for safe sleep - baby could get wedged in between and suffocate. 
  • Options
    @cheshyre319 no, but there are spreadsheets and project management software  :p
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 yasssssss! 
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 Yes!
    Also, Target has so much pineapple stuff right now. It's insane! 
  • Options
    I'm loving the pineapple connection! Every time I see a pineapple now I think of you ladies lol.
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    @duewithpu2 Yes!
    Also, Target has so much pineapple stuff right now. It's insane! 
    BRB, going to Target to buy all the pineapple stuff. LOL. 
  • Options
    Off to buy the pineapple swaddle....