July 2018 Moms

Crib Mattresses

July 2018 mamma here with a now-10-month old!

She is currently sleeping on a second-hand Ikea mattress that we bought off Facebook marketplace. However, have been doing a lot of reading up on mattress safety (toxins, etc) lately, and came across this post about second-hand mattress safety. And now I'm kind of freaking out. She's been on it for a few months, so I think we've passed the bed bugs test (ha ha) but I'm a bit worried about off-gassing and softness and am wondering if I should switch out her mattress? 

What are you all doing for crib mattresses? Super overwhelmed by the choices, and researching as much as possible to avoid toxins, make sure it's firm enough, etc. Would love to know what other mammas are choosing???

Re: Crib Mattresses

• I bought both my kids new mattresses before they were born. One has a name brand mattresses, the other has one from Amazon. Both feel the same. Both have a water proof covering. Both have the same firmness. Both have also split in one spot.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a "firm" mattress with a tight fitting sheet. This basically just means they don't sink in and the sheet doesn't bunch up which can cover the mouth.

For the used mattress - does it have a waterproof covering? Did you clean it before use? Can you clean it now? Does baby roll to the edge and get stuck?

You could also bring this to your child's ped to get answers specific to your child, from someone well versed in your families wants and needs.

Also, this board is super dead since all the regs moved to a FB group. I wouldn't expect many or any replies (heck, its been a month since you posted this and I'm the first reply!).