August 2019 Moms
Options

TMI Tuesday 5/14

Re: TMI Tuesday 5/14

• Options
    flagchicflagchic member
    edited May 2019
    I just found out what the Group B Strep Test involves and I'm horrified. I know a lot of people say things like "Well, it's all worth it in the end!" but honestly, just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I want my boo-hole swabbed. I feel like this is one of those things that pregnant women don't talk about....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @flagchic YES! My coworker brought up how she was really close with the doctor who did hers (she is a family friend) and what they did and I was like WAIT WHAT?! Pregnancy sure is glamorous lol
  • Options
    @brianalee2984 First time moms for the win, LOL. Why am I just finding out about this now?! I thought I was fairly educated on the process of pregnancy and what the appointments/tests involved, but apparently not.
  • Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    @flagchic Umm :s This is news to me. When is that test done?!
  • Options
    @flagchic @oklahomak It's really not a big deal. I don't remember exactly what visit it was but it was near the end. (Maybe 34 weeks?) Anyway if you ever had a pap or anything like that, this is less intrusive than that. Takes less than a minute.
    Wait until they start checking how dilated you are every visit. That's fun.
  • Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    @mrosek91 Are those cervix checks optional? Lol

• Options
    I agree - cervix checks are the worst.  My cervix was so sensitive with my first pregnancy, the worst one was when I left the room with blood droplets EVERYWHERE.  I bled on the table, the floor everywhere omg.  Thank god my husband went to that appt I was mortified and 9 mo pregnant and just froze bleeding on things.  He was like "Pull up your panties and pants and we are going to walk out of here like none of this ever happened.  Some one will clean it up, but it wont be you" and held my hand on the way out. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    The GBS test wasn't bad at all.  They literally swab for a second and it's over.  The cervical checks for me started at 35 or 36 weeks.  I didn't mind them either because I liked knowing what was going on in there.  It can be a little uncomfortable though.  
  • Options
    Add me to the list that had no idea about the GBS test.......I have an intestinal issue so I'm use to people poking around my rear exit LOL.  
  • Options
    I guess I'll add GBS to the list of "standard in the states but not here".... no mention of that last pregnancy or this pregnancy yet

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    aecmaecm member
    I needed a new OB when I found out I was pregnant with DD (old one had moved) so I specifically requested a woman OB at the new practice b/c...FTM. Saw my new (female) OB every appointment but she happened to be on vacation for the appt when I was due for my first cervical check and my GBS test. The only other OB available in the practice was...a dude. I was shaking my head at the universe for pulling that one on me. 

Now as a STM, I feel like male OBs, GBS tests, and cervical checks don’t phase me at all 😂

I keep getting constipated, so I only have 2 words for my TMI Tuesday: anal fissures. 🤦🏻‍♀️
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @moon1417 That sounds awful :(  I'm glad you had your husband there for support.

Pap smears are always painful for me and make me cramp and spot like crazy afterwards. I have high anxiety about it. I had one earlier in the pregnancy, just because I was out of date for my annual. Since I've had a smooth, no-problem pregnancy so far (knock on wood), as long as there's no issues between then and now, I'm considering asking for no cervical checks unless 100% absolutely necessary for medical treatment purposes. I've done research, and it really seems that cervical checks are good if you have pre-existing issues, or just need to satisfy that curiosity, but I don't know if it's a good option for me, or if it will just cause me stress.
  • Options
    The GBS thing is no big deal at all. They arent searching for gold (its not a deep swab or probe or anything like that).

My first pregnancy, at my very first appointment (DH in the room), my doctor stuck a whole finger up to check the strength of the wall between the two. That was weird. Still didnt think much of it (though my other 2 pregnancies didnt involve anything like that). Although it did give DH some ideas to be used later on...

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @sourlemon I think I'm just in my head about it.... a little surprised just because I'm not ready for anybody to be poking around that way. I'm sure once it's done, it's done... as long as I get the heads up ;)
  • Options
    @aecm oh my gosh! Those are the WORST!! :( I feel terrible for you!!

Urg. I hadn't though of cervical checks pre L&D. Bleh. Though...bright side, maybe OB will teach DH how to check so he can monitor before we leave for the hospital. Haha.

My TMI isn't really a TMI today..but earlier, baby was in such a weird position. Super low I guess, and kept smashing hard against my cervix. I legit thought a limb was gonna come out at some point. I kept picturing a tiny hand coming out of my vagina. (Doesn't help that I had a labour nightmare last night, where I had to push, and was surrounded by people, and no one would help me. It was very graphic too..
  • Options
    @oklahomak yes cervical checks are optional. I never had one with the twins and did not have one with DD2 until I was 40 weeks. They are even optional in labor....   its also important to note that cervical dilation has little to no relation to when you actually go into labor. Some women are dilated to 4cm for more than a month and others are not dilated at all and go into labor a few hours later...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @chillycanadian I was at a meeting last night and thought of you when he was kicking what felt like my cervix. It definitely didn't feel like my bladder.
  • Options
    @chillycanadian @agpandme Add me to the list of mamas being kicked in the cervix. First time it happened was like, WTF was that?! LO seems to like hanging out fairly low most of the time, movement very low in my belly and kicks usually level with my hips. No rib kicking yet!

@flagchic Another FTM here who had no idea about the GBS test, glad to know about that ahead of time!
  • Options
    cato99cato99 member
    TMI but i was just at the doctor and why am I so inept at peeing in the cup?! 
  • Options
    Ditto to all the cervix kicks. 

Here's my TMI Wednesday...I have a third nipple that is usually unnoticeable. I always thought it was a chicken pox scar until an old gyno told me otherwise. Now with all the pregnancy hormones it has significantly darkened and is extremely noticeable! Damn useless nipple!  :D

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @wabash15 cervical checks may be optional unless a complication pops up. I went into pre-term labor last time at 30 weeks and they checked when I got to the hospital, once a day, and a when I was released 3 days later to make sure it stopped progressing since my contractions never fully went away. Every time I went into pre-term labor (3 more times that pregnancy) it was the same protocol.

• Options
    @sourlemon I agree unless a complication pops up. In the event of a complication your doctor/MW may push more for one so they have more information... but even then you can still refuse, its your body and depending on how "crunchy" you are. I'm not saying I would refuse the checks if I were in your situation, just that you should and your doc should discuss the pros/cons or risk/benefits. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @wabash15 true, I could have refused. My options at the time(s) were get the check and possibly be discharged then, or wait for contractions to stop to be discharged (which never happened). I guess I could have left AMA but then who would actually want to do the c section when time came?

• Options
    I'm gonna ressurect this since someone else mentioned the other day that we haven't had one in a couple weeks haha. 
    And I just want to complain.....that the toilet paper at work is SO thin and rough. And I'm peeing like.... 6-7 times in an 8 hour shift.
    My whoo-ha is SO sore. Legit swollen from being irritated from the rough paper so frequently. Plus, the increased discharge seems to have decided to make a comeback the last few weeks. So lots of wiping needs to be done.

I've contemplated bringing TP from home 😂 yesterday, I was wishing I had a bidet. Even though I've never actually used one lol
  • Options
    @chillycanadian Two words...Baby Wipes! I have been using them for months now.   Also follow up with A&D ointment. 
  • Options
    emqbeeemqbee member
    Oh oh!! TMI!! Yay!! I definitely puked so hard that I peed myself the other night. Then it happened a second time the next night and I was butt naked getting ready for a shower and totally left a little puddle on the bathroom floor 😬
  • Options
    I sneezed and peed a little a few weeks ago. Luckily I was at home. Third pregnancy and that was a first (and hopefully a last). Now covering my mouth is second priority to squeezing my legs together and bracing my belly. 
  • Options
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 every time I have to sneeze or cough I better brace myself to contain the pee or else I leak. Last pregnancy I had to start wearing liners made for leaking because I had the flu around this point and I could not contain it. 

• Options
    Pregnancy is so glamourous! 

• Options
    I have a horrible cough right now... that just should not be allowed at 31 weeks pregnant... I’ve definitely peed my pants a couple of times
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    jrm_14jrm_14 member
    @sourlin I’m in liners/pads from SCH still. However, they frequently serve duel purpose. Read:  daily. Sometimes multiple times a day.