July 2019 Moms
Options

Crafty mamas

Anybody working on crafts for baby? I made a lot of little things for DD but have been totally procrastinating everything for this boy. Out of guilt, I decided to try to tackle my first quilt  :| 
would love to see what you all are working on!

Re: Crafty mamas

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mnkenned Nice! I've floated the idea of trying quilting but it seems complicated to me.
    @hakele Do it!! Those are adorable! :love: 

I bought the fabric today for a curtain set for baby's room. Hoping to make them next weekend!
  • Options
    @hestia14 - I YouTube'd it and there's a pretty good tutorial under "first quilt" or something like that. I got the patchwork part done and it was actually not bad at all. We'll see how the rest goes. I also saw a Pinterest post for a cheater quilt using patchwork fabric that you just sew along the lines... totally considering it for my upcoming nephew
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    I made a quilt when I was 13. Hand stitched! My grandma was always either quilting or crocheting. All of us have big quilts and crocheted blankets from her. I’m her baby’s baby, and almost 2 decades younger than the oldest grandchild on that side. So that grandma has already passed. she was 92! Im glad I at least have the skills to pass on something “from her”.  

Quilting isn't too crazy, thankfully. I just always tell people when they decide to pick up a craft, don’t skimp on the supplies you need. Just get them. It makes the job easier for a reason! Like, get the correct size quilting hoop. Get the right needles and thread. It makes all the difference. 
  • Options
    I started crocheting a blanket. I plan on sewing up an outfit or two and some swaddles. 
  • Options
    cindlercindler member
    LOVE the crafts ladies!  I enjoy quilting, but it can get too tedious for me.  I've gotten into scrap quilting, which is far less tedious and allows me to do some different things.  My problem is that I have a top of quilt tops, but I never actually seem to get them quilted and finished.  I'm thinking I should pay my mom to do it since she has a long arm quilting machine. 
    I also decided to clean up some yarn I had laying around the house so I started crocheting a little blanket for LO.  It's about a week from being finished!  I'm hoping I can hang it from the crib to show off for friends and family when they're here for the baby shower in a few weeks.
    Finally, I need to find some curtains for the nursery.  I usually don't find anything in the store that I like, so I'm thinking of trying to sew some curtains.  Need to actually make up my mind on that.
  • Options
    @cindler If you end up making curtains, the pattern I'm using is Simplicity 1383, pattern A. It was the only curtain pattern booklet I found and A seemed the easiest :lol: 
  • Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    If you've never sewn anything in your entire life, but have access to a quality sewing machine, how hard is it to sew something off of a pattern? I would love to make simple little dresses for my daughter, same pattern, just different fabrics.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @keebler6elf Good idea! I was thinking of doing that if I didn't get closet dividers at my shower. 
    @tsa208 You may want to watch a few sewing tutorials on YouTube first. When I first started sewing I had a ton of issues with threading the machine--thread would pop out of the needle, bobbin was loaded backwards, missed loading through a certain part and threw off the tension, etc. You'll also want to have a scrap piece of fabric handy to test if your machine is correctly threaded--it's better to test on a piece you don't care about instead of diving into your project and wondering why your thread is a giant knot ball. Not trying to scare you: I had too many sewing-related meltdowns when I first started because I just didn't thread the machine right! :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    @saroos3137 Those are gorgeous! I love it! That is the theme we were thinking if it was a boy. 
    Now I'm probably going to do something with cream and pink. Still SO undecided. 

@jennm0724 - Patience and a glue gun and you got that project. How much do they want for it on etsy? 

@cindler Maybe some no-sew curtains? 
  • Options
    cindlercindler member
    @tsa208 I totally agree with @hestia14 machine issues are the most frustrating! You want to make progress on your project, but the machine isn't cooperating it can totally derail your enthusiasm. If you have a quilt store nearby, they are great resources to help with machine and technique issues. They may also offer a beginning sewing class that would be a great place to start. 

That being said, I don't make clothes, I just make quilts so I sew in straight lines. Sewing in non-straight lines would be difficult for a first timer, IMO.
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    @tsa208 if you are really logic minded and can read maps well, you can probably manage an outfit. The good thing is, a baby outfit is small, so investment is small. 
  • Options
    @Niesen27 Beautiful sign! That’s gorgeous!! 
  • Options
    cindlercindler member
    @hakele I love how it looks like chainmail!
  • Options
    I am loving all of these crafts, you ladies are so creative. I am hoping to do some name stuff and a couple of small things once we get nursery started, this weekend! Also hoping to make a quilt, but I don't think I'll have time. I've done several t shirt quilts.

I do have a question for those of you that crochet, non baby related, but our dog chewed a whole in a blanket that was gifted to us as a wedding gift, is there a way to fix it without knowing to crochet? It's on my list of things to learn!
  • Options
    @hakele I love that nursing cover! I had made a couple of nursing covers, all sewn, but they were more like the apron type that covers chest and baby as gifts, but of course I didn't take photos of them  :|
  • Options
    @hakele they want $125 on Etsy for it... I've got my glue gun, I might give it a shot.. at least make a test flower and go from there LOL!
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    @samanthak46 fixing crochet can be really hard because it is one continuous piece with no knots. So you would have to know the pattern that was used and be able to link it back up to any of the dropped stitches, before tying yarn back together. 
    How big of a hole is it? 
  • Options
    @hakele Good to know, thank you! It's like the size of a silver dollar and then a tear on an edge. There's a knitting store in a neighboring city next to us, would you suggest taking it there?
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    @samanthak46
    that could be a good place to go for help with the repair. I’d give them a call first and explain to see what they think and what they can offer. 
    Remind me where you are again? For some reason I’m thinking you were in Denver area? 
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    @bartonolivia those are gorgeous! 
  • Options
    @hakele thanks! No, I wish haha, we love Colorado. I'm in Ohio.
    @bartonolivia so pretty!
  • Options
    mizzmegmizzmeg member
    DH and I are big gamers and Harry Potter fans so I’ve been making onesies for her! 
  • Options
    Made this for M's fave teacher whose last day is tomorrow. Also pinning some pics of the two of them together.