September 2019 Moms

Healthy Habits Check In, May

RedBreast35RedBreast35 member
edited May 2019 in September 2019 Moms
Thought we might give this a try for some accountability!!  Feel free to use the prompts or just have at it!
work out mice GIF by Cheezburger

What healthy habits would you like to work on?  Any goals for the month?

What have you been doing well at?

What's your favorite way to exercise?  

What's your favorite healthy snack?

Re: Healthy Habits Check In, May

• Welp, my participation in this thread is a stretch but my intentions are ALWAYS to make healthy decisions soooo.. here it goes! 

What healthy habits would you like to work on?  Any goals for the month? I'm really just trying to focus on staying active, but not stressing myself out by defining what that looks like. On days I sit at my computer for 8 hours, I will try to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes or the elliptical for 20. I usually watch an episode of Friends and it goes by in no time :) I also have a 5lb weight routine I do from time to time to keep up my upper body strength which is better than nothing. On the weekends, I'm usually pretty physically active anyway which can look like a lot of things. Cleaning, gardening, running errands, playing the backyard with the dogs, etc. I've found that while I do have more energy in my 2nd tri, it's not the same amount of energy as when I'm not pregnant, so I still have to take it easy otherwise I will end the day utterly exhausted with a migraine. So finding the right balance has been key.  

What have you been doing well at? Googling my pregnancy symptoms, having a panic attack, calling my doctor, then realizing that this is in fact, a very normal pregnancy. Oh, you meant health related? Its hard for me to feel like I'm doing well at anything, because I know how much better I can be when I'm not pregnant. So I guess I'm doing well at cutting myself some slack? 

What's your favorite way to exercise?  Ideally, by walking/running my dog, however he's very powerful (it's a true full body workout) and I'm not up to taking any risks of him dragging me down the street while pregnant (it has happened before). So for now I'm content watching Friends on my iPad while walking. 

What's your favorite healthy snack? Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas. It's filling, carby and sweet and I don't feel awful for eating it afterwards. 
  • @nomangos23 Look at that, we are both good at the same things  ;)

What healthy habits would you like to work on?  Any goals for the month? A more established workout would be nice. Right now it is kind of all over the place.

What have you been doing well at? I've been eating really well. After being Paleo for a while and implementing some Weston A Price stuff, it still took me forever to get back to a balanced diet that works for my body apparently. Feeling good though.

What's your favorite way to exercise?  Hiking! Hard to get in with a 4 year old but I found a new place by my midwife. Hoping you get in a hike or two each month at least. 

What's your favorite healthy snack? Those little lunchbox peppers are my absolute favorite! I'm also a giant peanut butter and banana fan currently. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess I should probably stop pretending I ate 4 Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies for second breakfast this morning and actually participate here  o:)

@nomangos23 I hear you on not having the fabled second tri energy boost.  I definitely feel better, but it's nowhere near what a regular me would consider "energized."  Good for you for keeping up with the walking/elliptical!!

What healthy habits would you like to work on?  Any goals for the month?  Baby is already all up in my stomach, so I would like to start eating smaller meals more often.  I have always been a B, L, D and and snack or two kind of eater, so this is actually a really big change and kinda hard!!  I ordered some smaller pyrex bowls to pack my food for work in, so that hopefully helps keep my portions smaller.  Any time I overeat (which is really easy to do these days),  I feel really, really awful for hours afterward.
    I also mentioned this on another thread, but I'm hoping to add in some stretching at least daily to help with the aches and pains.  I've managed to do it for the last couple of days and I think it's actually helping!

What have you been doing well at?  I'm generally pretty active.  I can almost always get 10,000 steps a day without trying too hard.

What's your favorite way to exercise?  I love and miss running.  I basically gave it up when TTC #1 started to drag me down, and plan to start again once this LO is here and I've given myself a little break to recover and adjust.

What's your favorite healthy snack?  Ppples and PB.  Or apples and yogurt/PB dip.
  • What healthy habits would you like to work on?  Any goals for the month? I want to be better at preparing meals at home. I am one of these people with a mile long list of allergies, so eating from restaurants is a bit risky and I tend to not have great choices. Food was already a stressor in my life, and now it is more so. Ive basically been eating a lot of snacks rather than full meals, or really really easy meals. I recently downloaded a new meal prep app and need to utilize it! I also want to get back to using my instant pot-it was fun and easy but I put it away 1st trimester. 

What have you been doing well at? The snacks that I’ve been eating are mostly nutritious and packed with good fats. My son keeps me active, so that’s been mostly good.

What's your favorite way to exercise?  I went for a swim yesterday and it felt SO good! I loved feeling weightless and not sweating while getting some exercise. I went suuuuuuper slow, and didn’t worry much about distance or timing, just that I was feeling good!

What's your favorite healthy snack? I’m guilty of adding chocolate chips to my lime yogurt 😋 Almonds, cheese, watermelon, and avocado (yep I just cut the avocado open and eat it).
  • @RedBreast35 I forgot to mention I'm starting an 8 week long prenatal yoga course on Sunday! I found one offered by a local yoga studio. Its an hour an 15 minutes and it's on Sunday nights, so I really have no excuse not to go. They also have them at the hospital I will deliver at, but that was a bit further. That might be a good option to find some decent prenatal stretches that are safe. 
  • @RedBreast35 I've been doing the smaller meals thing kind of and like it. I mean my 3 main meals are smaller than they used to be and then I make sure to get protein with my snacks. I've always had a grazing/snacking problem and this definitely makes me feel more full throughout the day but not weighed down.
    @blitzybee I bet food allergies are hard. I thought at first that DS was going to have an egg allergy. I never realized how much egg we eat in a day. As someone that has chosen to eliminate foods in the past, I learned it's a whole other ball game when there are immediate consequences to accidentally eating something. 
  • @nomangos23 did you check out that yoga class yesterday?
  • @RedBreast35 lol! Thank you for keeping me honest and accountable. No, I didn't but I'm regretting not going today because my back is starting to ache in odd places. It was also a challenging day with Mother's day plans / DH's birthday and lets be honest, Game of Thrones.
  • LOL sorry @nomangos23 no judgement!!!  I was going to ask how you felt today if you did go!
  • @RedBreast35 I have done prenatal yoga on Amazon Prime (her name is Riki Jones). It's not a sweating workout, it's more like safe stretches which feel really good. And it's only 20 minutes!! 
  • @nomangos23 Good job signing up for that class and committing to walking daily!  That's amazing!

I love that most of you are on the PB train.  Non-pg me LOVES PB, but it hasn't really been speaking to me since the BFP.  

What healthy habits would you like to work on?  Any goals for the month?  I was so excited to get back to healthy eating after 1st tri ended, but my life got in the way and I ate way more processed stuff and sodium-filled take-out than I wanted to.  I'm back on the wagon this week and feeling so much better!  My goal for the month is to stay that way!

What have you been doing well at?  Exercising regularly.  I'm sticking with my HITTx2 and runningx1-2 per week so far.  

What's your favorite way to exercise?  Running.  

What's your favorite healthy snack?  Watermelon.  Yum.  Fresh peaches in August, oh man.  Greek yogurt w/ berries is one of my go-to's, as are mixed nuts.