December 2019 Moms
Options

Babymoon, anyone?

Anybody planning a trip before baby gets here?

Me: 31 DH: 31
  <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
CP 3/2019

Re: Babymoon, anyone?

• Options
    We're heading to Chincoteague Island in July. We figured second trimester would be good, where I'll still have energy and still feel like doing things. Should be fun--we're going to see the wild ponies, hit a couple wineries (I'm not drinking and will be DDing, of course, but we're picking up bottles for me to actually drink later), hang out in nature, and eat as much low-mercury seafood as my heart desires. :-)
  • Options
    j3nn1b33j3nn1b33 member
    edited May 2019
    We were planning on visiting my two sister in laws in Miami, but my doctor said it was a bad idea due to Zika...so we are probably going to a local place near where we live. 

I also may miss our yearly NC trip in the fall because it is the week of Thanksgiving. I am not sure how I will feel by then, by DH and the rest of the family will be going so I will have the house to myself. My own private babymoon lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @j3nn1b33 while I would totally listen to your doctor, I thought FL was free from Zika? I was in FL just a couple weeks ago and everything I read said it was safe... but I was also further north and not at a cruise port? 

We're trying to figure out where we should go. We'd like to take a little get away with just the 2 of us, and then another one (if possible) with our daughter as a last trip with just us. 

• Options
    @j3nn1b33 I’m shocked your dr said no to Florida. I’m in Ft Lauderdale right now for the weekend with my mom. 
  • Options
    We have some weekend trips we’d like to do this summer but I’m really wanting a long weekend in Gatlinburg this fall. 
  • Options
    @k_mama91 Loooooooove Gatlinburg! I went about 5 years ago and had SUCH a good time. I've been itching to get back. It's so gorgeous. Hope you make it there!
  • Options
    @rjgmcmanus It’s a gorgeous drive from Kentucky! We love going in the fall when the leaves change and around Christmas bc the lights are amazing. I’ll keep ya updated 😉
  • Options
    We are in FL right now. Not a true babymoon because we brought our daughter, but totally worth it. Went to Disney and had a wonderful time. 😊 
  • Options
    @ashorkey @anniemarie887   I am not sure but she said that I shouldn't go there for our vacation due to Zika. I haven't paid much attention to the news so I have no idea what or where is clear/not clear. 
  • Options
    I was in st. Lucia on our honeymoon (kinda turned babymoom) when we found out we were pregnant. I googled like crazy and there really isn’t a threat of Zika in most places anymore. Even most of the Caribbean countries where it was most prominent haven’t had any cases in over a year. 

As for a babymoon, for me, being in a tropical place where the drinks are flowing but you can’t have any, was really hard! I also couldn’t go on the excursions or simple things like go in the hot tub. So if we do a babymoon I’m not sure where we could go that I could enjoy everything while being pregnant. I think a post babymoon would work better for me 😊 
  • Options
    @j3nn1b33 @Knottie1431486755 I conceived within about two weeks of coming back from Mexico. Did not think we’d get lucky the first month, I just did all the Zika testing and happily got a negative. Results back in about a week. As for Florida there are no active cases in 2019 from living/traveling in Florida. But always consult with with your dr!

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/reporting/2019-case-counts.html

• Options
    DH and I traveled to Mexico in December.  I didn’t think too much about Zika at the time, but now I’m wondering if I should ask my OB.  We’ll already be highly monitored because of my history with DS, so I’m not sure there’s anything else that would change.

As for our babymoon, we’re planning a trip to Yellowstone in August.  It’ll hopefully be in the sweet spot of the second tri where I’m feeling good and it’s before viability.  I’m kind of regretting my choice to go to one of the smelliest places, but I’m hoping I’ll be past the barfy stage by then 😂 We planned the trip to coincide with the anniversary of DS’s passing.  It will be emotional for sure.  We dreamed of taking him to a national park, and we thought it would be a fitting way to celebrate him.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Options
    @SpongeWorthy we conceived in Mexico (didn’t think it would happen like that). My OB wasn’t worried. She said she would have probably cautioned us to wait but since it happened and we were at a resort the whole time, she wasn’t worried.  The resorts treat for mosquitoes like crazy because they don’t want guests getting Zika. It’d make for terrible reviews. Hope your OB has no concerns! 😊🤞  

Yellowstone sounds like a lovely trip ❤️
  • Options
    baby-n-pupsbaby-n-pups member
    edited May 2019
    I was in st. Lucia on our honeymoon (kinda turned babymoom) when we found out we were pregnant. I googled like crazy and there really isn’t a threat of Zika in most places anymore. Even most of the Caribbean countries where it was most prominent haven’t had any cases in over a year. 

As for a babymoon, for me, being in a tropical place where the drinks are flowing but you can’t have any, was really hard! I also couldn’t go on the excursions or simple things like go in the hot tub. So if we do a babymoon I’m not sure where we could go that I could enjoy everything while being pregnant. I think a post babymoon would work better for me 😊 
    I feel exactly the same about choosing a place! All the vacations Id typically choose would lose a lot of their appeal while pregnant. I want a relaxing, all-inclusive vacation with some fun excursions, but thats not very pregnant-friendly. 

I NEED a vacation. Does anyone have recommendations on a trip thats fun, warm, and relaxing while still being babymoon approved?

@k_mama91 @r@rjgmcmanus What do you like most in Gatlinburg? Thats not too far from us in Savannah and might be a good weekend trip. 
  • Options
    @baby-n-pups I went with a few friends and we got a cabin together, complete with a jacuzzi overlooking the mountains...overall, I just loved how relaxing it was and how we took things at our own pace. We did some hiking, which had gorgeous views (they do have easier and shorter trails, so good for pregnant mamas). We did some of the history and ghost walks, which I always find fascinating. The food there is delicious. They had some fun shows. We also did some non-pregnancy friendly things though, like moonshine tasting and whitewater rafting. But overall, I just loved the views and the whole vibe. It's just laid back. @k_mama91 might have more insight than I do, since I've only been the once. But I loved it.

Also, if anyone is looking for a chill, easy vacation, I live in VA and recommend things around here. We have everything from hiking to water sports to whale watching to history to wild horses. 😊
  • Options
    @baby-n-pups I second what @rjgmcmanus said. Beautiful scenery, great food, neat attractions like wonderworx, the titanic museum, aquarium, dinner shows. Hiking, shopping, just a relaxing environment. I think anywhere you go, the beach or otherwise, is going to be off putting if you’re used to drinking/being physical on vacation (I am) but a babymoon is more of a last getaway with the hubby or kids before giving birth. We can all have a glass of wine in December 😉
  • Options
    ninrmsninrms member
    No true babymoon planned here, as money is tight, and we live far from ALL of our family, so all "vacations" are usually just turned into visiting family. That being said, we had a two week cross-country road trip planned for the end of July--heading out west to Banff and then Seattle to see in laws. I'm officially calling that our babymoon. :) 
  • Options
    jandawgjandawg member
    @ninrms I was in Banff in July last year - it's so gorgeous there - amazing hikes and walks (even ones that don't have lots of altitude). 
  • Options
    we pick a different state every year for our anniversary - we are leaning toward New Mexico this year. Our anniversary is in September, so still safe to travel and I should be good on energy. Goal to start in White Sands National Park, and make our way up to Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Get some hikes, some history and some SPA TIME! (Arizona would be another good option we tossed around for a similar vibe.)
  • Options
    cpk3535cpk3535 member
    @sunshineandlemons that’s probably what our “babymoon” is going to be- Disney with our daughter!  Heck, it’s easy, it’s good exercise, usually a good food festival taking place, and it doesn’t require much planning.  We love visiting the area and seeing friends, too ❤️
  • Options
    I want to take my kiddos on either a cruise or to Disney. We need to get it done by fall break, I'm pretty sure. It'll be tight, but pretty special. 
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• Options
    I’m so jealous that someone’s going to Chincoteague Island. I’m from Maryland and moved to Texas 5 years ago. I used to go to ocean city and assateague island every summer for my whole life and now I’m missing it like crazy! And craving crabs like nothing else! But honestly constantly craving crabs started way before I got pregnant 😂
  • Options
    @court8888 That's awesome! This will be our first time. What do you recommend? I'd love suggestions! Right now the only thing we really have planned is a boat tour to see the horses, we're kind of winging everything else.

Also, crabs are amazing. I've been legit craving crabs for a couple days now myself, thinking I need to get some this weekend.
  • Options
    ninrmsninrms member
    @janiep81 -- combine it!! Disney cruise!! We did that for our honeymoon, and loooved it. My hubby was super skeptical about cruises (we like a bit more "free travel" than a cruise offers), but even years later, we are dying to do another!

@jandawg Awesome!! I haven't ever been, but I've been dying to go. I miss being adjusted to elevation...I lived at a ski resort in Colorado for several years, but now I'm a flatlander again.  :s
  • Options
    jandawgjandawg member
    @janiep81 - I just got a thing in the mail about Expedia cruises of all things. I think they have having some major sales soon.

@ninrms - oh man, the adjustment is real! I remember the first time I went I was so surprised by how it affected me - I am a fellow flatlander living at sea level
  • Options
    mrszoobearmrszoobear member
    edited May 2019
    I was planning a girls trip with my best friend & mom to go to Orlando in October. With the baby coming we want to save as much as possible. Plus the fact that I will be 7 months pregnant and Florida is still super hot in early October means that trip had to be canceled 😢

I am thinking maybe we can go on a babymoon closer to home instead. October 13th is our anniversary so maybe we will go to a great wolf lodge or grab the train to Chicago for a long weekend.