July 2019 Moms

Multiple preterm labor scares, diagnosis “Irritable Uterus”

This is my second pregnancy, which I’m grateful for because if this was all new I think I’d be even more freaked out.

I’m currently 31 weeks and in the past 3 weeks I have been admitted to labor and delivery 3 times for painful regular contractions (about 5 minutes apart for an hour and last night they were *one minute apart*) and a 4th time for a gush of fluid that apparently was not amniotic fluid.

Every day I have contractions throughout the day but they only get regular and painful at night. At this point I feel comfortable that it’s probably not preterm labor every single time, and of course I go in to get checked anyway based on the guidelines I’ve been given. But I’m so exhausted from the pain and worry.

Apparently these are not the usual Braxton Hicks contractions, but they have not yet made any cervical change, so it’s also not true labor; it’s an “irritable uterus.” i guess this is fairly unusual so I don’t know that anyone else in this group has experienced it but I am just taking it one day/week at a time. My whole perspective has changed where I would be “happy” at this point to make it to 34 weeks. My last baby was in the NICU for different reasons and I don’t want to go through it again but I’m trying to accept it as a possibility.

Re: Multiple preterm labor scares, diagnosis “Irritable Uterus”

• Haven’t been through it but maybe ask your obgyn for a steroid shot for baby’s lungs since you're concerned about preterm labor.
  • Sorry you're dealing with this 😔
  • Loading the player...
  • @anomasqrl I'm so sorry you are going through all of that. I wasn't ever given a diagnosis but I was in pre-labor for about six weeks with my OBGYN and doulas convinced the baby was coming soon due to my constant contractions and pain, but he never dropped and I never dilated on my own. It was always worse at night, always gone by the time I woke up again. It was a mind-fuck, forgive my French, and it was exhausting worrying about it.

Definitely talk to your doctor about what you can do to help alleviate the pain, what the plans are if you go into labor early, etc. Do you have a therapist or anyone coaching you to lean on?
  • jquellinjquellin member
    edited May 2019
    @anomasqrl Right there with you. L&D nurses know who I am now, which is good and bad... I am currently on bedrest (3wks now) and will be for the duration of this pregnancy. The contractions are so real it worries me every time I have to start counting. Today I have an appointment, I am sure I will end up in L&D. I have been given nifedipine to take orally, once my contractions start going the only thing to stop them is terbutaline...I have had two sets of betamethazone as a just in case this one is more preterm than the last.

I don’t think that I would be as worried but my first came early (6wks) and the NICU although amazing is not where I want to be with this little guy.

i want you to know your not alone and though we have the irritable uterus diagnosis we are doing the right thing for our little ones every time we have to step into L&D. You and I know that this is taxing on our bodies and our energy is more or less not around anymore. You got this, 9 (ish) more weeks to go for the both of us  🤞. If you do need to vent or discuss this I am here. 
  • Thanks you guys. ❤️ I already got the steroid injections at 28 weeks when this started. I have supportive friends and family and a therapist and my husband has been great - I’ve had to leave my job and I rest a lot in the day but I’m still very uncomfortable at night, right when I usually would be helping with dinner and putting my 3 year old to bed. My 3yo was in the NICU though he was full term - and even having him there less than a week was very emotionally difficult for me. I’m trying not to think too much and just take one day at a time. The L&D nurses are so helpful reminding me I’m doing the right thing by going in to get checked. 
  • Lurking from August. My second pregnancy I had an irritable uterus starting around 30 weeks (initial cause was a kidney infection, then it never went away). I ended up in preterm labor 4 times with overnight hospital stays for 3 of those. In the end, I made it until my planned C Section at 39+3, but it was a total mind (and body) game to get there.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Yeah I’ve since been in 3 more times with one overnight admission. I’m less scared at this point about the baby coming early, just not really looking forward to 5-10 more weeks of this 😬
  • I was actually told today during my routine NST that I have an itritable uterus as well. They said that it's because the contractions last around 39 seconds.. not longer than a minute.