August 2019 Moms
Options

needing some advice, trying to cope

Hey ladies, I’m new here but wanted to share my story and hopefully receive a little peace of mind for anyone who’s been through this. I am 23 weeks pregnant, I did the quad screen at 16 weeks, which came back high risk for t21. That number was 1:59. (I should add in here that I know it tests for protein levels; and I have active ulcerative colitis so my gyn told me it can sometimes throw off protein levels since it’s an auto-immune disease) anyways, they told me to go for the NIPT and after a horrible 2 weeks of waiting they told me it came back “aneuploidy detected” for t21. 

We’ve been to a genetic counselor, had a level 2 anatomy scan, an echo, and everything is completely normal. She is measuring in the 50th percentile for everything. I’m just so upset but also holding out hope that this could be CPM or just a false positive. I know that we will love her regardless, and nothing can change at this point, but we aren't doing an amnio because we don't want to risk a miscarriage. I just can't help but be mad at myself for getting these tests done in the first place. We never did them with our first daughter and she is 2.5 and 100% healthy. Has anyone on here been through this, or know someone that has? Our EDD is August 25th.

Re: needing some advice, trying to cope

• Options
    Hey @girlmama88 - what a roller coaster. Take heart knowing that there are so many people who come back with similar results and end up with perfectly healthy babies. It's so hard, I know, but I hope you are able to talk yourself out of some of the worry so that you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. I agree with you, sometimes I think all the tests can be more harmful than helpful, dpeending on the person. Hang in there and try to focus on how great everything else is looking. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you so much for your sweet words! It really is the hardest thing we've been through :(