Baby Names

Sibling Set

Thoughts on the sibling set Eleanor and Theodore?

We're locked in on Eleanor, but I've been struggling with names for a brother. I love the name Theodore, but I'm wondering if they're too much together.

Love each of them for being classic/vintage, strong, not super trendy names that each have a lot of nn potential. 

Brother is coming soon so I'm running out of time. Thanks in advance!

Re: Sibling Set

• Love those together! Theodore is such a great name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's very matchy to me personally. I love each name but together they are a bit too similar 
  • Not a big fan of the Roosevelt's per se (don't dislike them either). Just like the names, but that was another concern aside from the matching sounds. 
  • Matching sounds wouldn’t occur to me with this pair. I think they go great together but the Roosevelt association would eliminate Theodore for me. Not that I dislike them but I wouldn’t want to seem like I named my kids after any famous couple.
  • I had always loved the name Eleanor, but I had a son first, and Theodore was the only name my husband and I both liked. When I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years later, I contemplated using Eleanor, but I could not do it for reasons previous posters have mentioned. My Theodore goes by Teddy (like Roosevelt) but if your Theodore went by Theo and your daughter a nn like Nell or Nora it would be a non issue. We probably will use Eleanor for a middle name if we end up having another girl. 
  • Note: Teddy and Eleanor Roosevelt were not married. Eleanor Roosevelt was married to Franklin Delano Roosevelt. FDR and Teddy Roosevelt were only distantly related.
  • Note: Teddy and Eleanor Roosevelt were not married. Eleanor Roosevelt was married to Franklin Delano Roosevelt. FDR and Teddy Roosevelt were only distantly related.
    I need to brush up on my US History!
  • Love them! Go for it!
  • crf4crf4 member
    Love them together! This coming from a mom with a sibset Brody, Jack, Rosalie...which I didn’t realize until I was out and about with the younger two and they are “Jack & Rose” (titanic) I’ve gotten weird looks/questions. 
  • I adore the names Theodore and Eleanor. 
  • They are great names. Does sound very Roosevelty to me but if you use nicknames, not as obvious.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I'm not as fan of them together, although I love them both individually. 
  • I'm not as fan of them together, although I love them both individually. 
    Same here. Too much Roosevelt involved
  • Love them both, but not together. IMO they are to matchy. I’m not American, nor do I live in the USA, still my mind went to the Roosevelt family. Like pp stated: they are both known historical figures.

How about:
    Philip
    Frederick
    George
    Arthur
    Oscar
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's borderline for me, although I love both names.  FWIW, both of my kids have names that begin with T.  We did not choose kid #2's name because of this; it's just a boy name we both liked a lot.  It's not too hard when asked to say, "We didn't really intend for them to match, we just liked both names."  It ends the conversation and is never a big deal.  I mean, what else can someone say in response, kwim?

You might similarly respond to the question you'd get with something like, "Yes, we were aware of the Roosevelt connection, but we just really liked both names enough to overlook it."

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade