December 2019 Moms
Options

Let's Talk Exercise

Re: Let's Talk Exercise

• Options
    That’s awesome @bookworm492 !! 💪🏽

And yay for new gyms and partners who join in @midgerose86 !! Congrats!
  • Options
    @triwellnessgirl it's official-- I'm trying out street parking this month! I'll be doing them at home with limited equipment but I think it'll still work for a trial month.  I'm doing the lowest membership at my crossfit gym as well,  8x a month.  The plan is if I'm happy with street parking,  to drop crossfit altogether and get a monthly membership at the park district facility,  where I can go to do the street parking workouts when I want more equipment options.  They have a decent amount of weightlifting equipment there as well as treadmills so after baby I can do the running wods during the winter. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bookworm492 WooHoo!!! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Omg you guys. We went to the pool yesterday and I was like "oh let's do some laps! bc swimming is supposed to be soooo good for pregnant ladies!" I seriously almost drown I was so out of breath doing ONE LAP. Wtf is wrong with me??? I was so sad...I guess I'll stick to the elliptical lol....
  • Options
    @ktmaesim Same when I was still surfing a few weeks ago...I can normally be out on the waves for 2 or 3 hours without coming ashore, and after 15 minutes, I was exhausted. I've done some swimming in the gym's pool since, but also getting out of breath super easily (and I'm a really strong swimmer!). Does your gym have an aqua track? That's what I've been doing,  and it seems to be what my body needs. I can still get in a good workout, but not wear out as quickly. 
  • Options
    @ktmaesim @rjgmcmanus I'm so glad that I am not the only one!! I did a open water triathlon at 8 weeks pregnant and did really good but when I went swimming last week I felt so out of breath in the pool. And the exhaustion I felt afterwards took a nap to go away. I did a aqua aerobics work out and felt fine but felt horrible after swimming some laps. 
  • Options
    bookworm492bookworm492 member
    edited July 2019
    @triwellnessgirl 2 workouts in and I'm already obsessed!!! I did program A Saturday, modified for pregnancy and apartment living,  and SOGO Sunday.  Going to fitness warehouse tonight to buy kettlebell.  Can't wait till next spring after baby and I'm cleared to resume regular fitness,  knock on wood,  so I can add in all these awesome supplemental workouts and do the push up and pull up courses! Im sure I'll need help regaining push ups, they really bother my core now.  
  • Options
    @rjgmcmanus  omg surfing would kill me! when I surfed in Australia I think it was the hardest workout ive ever done. where do you live to go surfing (jealous)? and I just went to the local pool outside so no aqua rack lol! 
    @Peachie89  holy cow I can't believe u did a triathlon! go you!!! you are not alone, I seriously needed to stop halfway down the pool...I was so embarrassed lol
  • Options
    @ktmaesim Virginia Beach. And it's killing me that I can't surf right now! Doc told me to stop after 12 weeks.
  • Options
    @ktmaesim @rjgmcmanus @Peachie89Yup same here. I play on a couple tennis teams and noticed the difference pretty much right away. Just feel winded faster, and not as agile for sure. Sigh.

Also, as a PSA to all on this baord, do not, I repeat do not, do any exercise that involves jumping too early postpartum. I literally could not control my bladder, it was horrifying. (Don't worry, that goes away.)
  • Options
    cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited July 2019
    Ugh, I somehow blew out my lower back this afternoon, and of course I have a yoga class to lead tonight.  I feel like this has something to do with my abdomen being more strained in the last week.  I guess I’m going to narrate and sit moves out...😥. I might add this to the why I’m crying board🥺
  • Options
    McKBabyMcKBaby member
    edited July 2019
    @g_gabs71016 When exactly is that supposed to go away? My kids are 7 & 5.5 (2 vaginal births) and I make sure to hit the ladies room 2x when I walk into my 5am boot camp class and see the jump ropes out! :D

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Options
    Just got back from my appt...Doc says the breathlessness should subside a bit as it is simply hormones controlling that at this point... not what I thought. She said it'll get a bit better, then get bad again when everything starts getting crammed in there. 

@cpk3535  aww no!!! Hope you feel better. Just have fun narrating and take it easy. 
  • Options
    @McKay1385 Haha, oh man, well maybe it doesn't ever totally go away?! While I was blaming my current pregnancy for my fear of sneezing, maybe I should blame my daughter instead! I do feel like it got better until I got pregnant again, but maybe never 100%. Sigh. I read this book a couple years ago called Bringing Up Bebe and apparently the French health insurance system covers vaginal strengthening exercises of some sort as a standard of care after birth because of the trauma, too bad that isn't an option here in the US. :wink:  
  • Options
    Does insurance not cover pelvic floor PT? I would think a ppo would?
  • Options
    @bookworm492 Yes Girl, Yes!!!! I'm so happy to hear that!!! I was hoping you'd love it too. OMG Saturday's workout was a burner. But they feel sooooooo good!! PROUD OF YOU! Do you track your workouts on Wodify (HIGHLY recommend so you can get the free hoodie at 75 workouts and the free tshirt at 365 workouts!)? If so, what's your name on there? That way if I see you, I'll give you a thumbs up! I'm Magda Ayala. Say Hi if you spot me! 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @triwellnessgirl yep I'm on wodify. I used that app a few years ago at my old gym.  I'm pretty sure at this rate I'll have NO problem hitting 75 before my due date. I will say it again,   I cannot wait till postpartum life and I'm cleared to work out again so I can rebuild my core and start in on all the AWESOME supplemental programs. Right now I'm just doing the workouts at home and modifying as I have to. I'm not running,  but oddly enough jogging in place even briskly doesn't bother me so I'm subbing that.  Saturday, I was pretty sore from that one! I'm def. Glad I made the switch.  Do you get credit if I say you referred me? I'm in the Facebook group now too.

Also one of my goals is to do the prenatal mobility video once a week!
  • Options
    Ya'll pray for me....swimming laps TAKE two today. Let's pray the lifeguard has her eye on me in. case  :D
  • Options
    @ktmaesim Yaaaaaaay!!!
  • Options
    I thought I’d revisit this thread.  How has everybody been doing staying somewhat or safely active?
  • Options
    cpk3535 said:
    I thought I’d revisit this thread.  How has everybody been doing staying somewhat or safely active?
    I had to take a little time off from exercise when I got a cold.  I tried to,  but my body just couldn't handle recovering from a workout and a cold at the same time.  

But I'm back at it now and doing the street parking workouts shared by triwellnessgirl, I haven't seen her on here and I hope she's ok. I absolutely love them.  They have great pregnancy modifications.  I think I'm going to do their weekly upper body workout today as my hips are sore. 

I have pretty bad hip problems because of pregnancy but the chiropractor was confident we can resolve them.  So no more biking for now,  and I do walk when I feel physically up for it while wearing my brace.   I walk about 10k steps every day.  Now that we're all getting further along in pregnancy and our blood volume is much higher I actually get a cardiovascular workout from briskly walking these days! Yikes lol.

• Options
    @cpk3535 I have not really met my own expectations with exercise (especially my prenatal home yoga videos) because I've found myself pretty worn out from other physical stuff in my life (yard work, painting the house, work work). I have been trying to walk consistently which I plan to keep up. And I've been doing my physio exercises but I think I need to ask for adjustments because the bump is bigger than it was 3 weeks ago!

@bookworm492 I also have noticed that triwellnessgirl hasn't been around and been hoping she's okay. I know she had some stuff come up with her mom so maybe she has just been busy with family stuff? 
  • Options
    @jandawg  @cpk3535 you both sound similar to me....we have lots of projects going on so we haven't been going diligently the last month or so...... but I've been dragging my butt to the gym and doing what I feel up to. I feel like that's better than nothing?

Usually a gym week consists of me going about 4-5 days out of the week:

-lifting arms, legs and back/shoulders...not pushing myself but still will choose lifting over cardio ANY DAY

- usually 1/2 hour to 45 min of elliptical time.... because I just get too hot or bored and

- then I usually swim a few laps just because our new gym's pool is nice LOL.
  • Options
    sorry meant to tag you too @bookworm982

• Options
    @ktmaesim @bookworm492 @jandawg You all sound like you’re doing really well!  It’s good to hear some other moms-to-be are trying to keep up as best we can.  I’ve been trying to keep up with my yoga, although it’s getting tougher in some positions and with circulation (maybe blood pressure changes?) and I’ve also been trying to walk and move as much as possible.  I’m definitely more tired than I normally am, so I’m trying to cut myself some slack.  I’ve been proud as a STM that I’ve kept my weight gain to less than last pregnancy. I’m also working and on my feet a lot for that, and running around with DD.  Sometimes the heat outside for walking has been a little much, but I’m trying to stay hydrated!  

Let’s all keep supporting each other to stay as healthy and active as we can!  I miss @triwellnessgirl, too.  I hope everything’s going well for her ❤️
  • Options
    I really admire everyone who is still working out! My exercises throughout the week are a 10minute stretching workout (maybe 2x a week). It's already tiring for me to come from work so occasionally I go on an evening walk, but less in the last month or so since my belly grew bigger and I'm more tired. Over the weekend I try to walk at least 45 minutes on both days and that's pretty much it. 
  • Options
    @cpk3535 I’ve been still fairly active. Prenatal yoga once a week and CrossFit (with lots of modifications) 3-4 times a week. It’s hard to workout but I feel better when I do (less swelling, specifically!)
  • Options
    @cpk3535 i've been doing prenatal yoga weekly - i took last week off w/the head pressure from my damn root canal, and this week it still felt a little off anytime my head went below my heart. wondering if that's still just dental pressure... or being 6 mos pregnant?!

outside of that and some walks, i use all of our house projects as my "exercise" and honestly have been probably a little more sloth like recently than i should be. 

hats off to all of you ladies truly going to a gym and getting it done!
  • Options
    @lamarshall I expect to do a few drop ins at my old box this month.  The street parking workouts are very similar to crossfit and I have what I need to do them at home. I doubt I'll return to crossfit after baby just because of schedule and time but will stick to street parking instead. 
  • Options
    My exercises have gotten easier, but I'm still trying to do SOMETHING 3 or 4 days of the week. I have a weekly yoga class I attend on Saturdays, and the rest of the week I walk, do yoga videos, hit the elliptical and do some rowing at the gym, or swim. It's not high impact/high intensity like I usually do, but it's keeping me moving. Hopefully I can get back into my usual routine after the pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I’ve been exercising the whole pregnancy, but I’ve kicked it up a notch since being diagnosed with GD. I’ve been running 2-3 miles about twice a week, but it’s been getting harder and harder as I seem to be more prone to side stitches. Otherwise, I do at least a half hour of weights, stationary cycling, or the elliptical each morning. Then a 10-15 minute walk after every meal. And my hour long yoga class once a week. I thought it would all tire me out a lot, but I actually think I have more energy! So I’m doing okay. 
  • Options
    @pennyandzooey @rjgmcmanus both of you sound like you’re doing great!  Yes, we have to cut ourselves some slack, but so good not to put exercise completely on the back burner.  I also feel better when I move, I know that, so even though the actual exercise isn’t always my favorite, I try to move to keep my energy flow going.  So far, I think it’s help me keep from experiencing too much numbness, aches and pains this pregnancy.  I’ve really felt pretty good!  Exercise also keeps me from feeling too down on myself in the weight gain department (or just down in general), so that’s a plus.  I’ll try to keep plugging away as best I can 😊
  • Options
    @cpk3535 Totally agree with everything you said! And we will all recover a little easier after delivery if we keep up with some sort of exercise during the pregnancy. Glad to hear you're feeling good too!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @pennyandzooey you could sub out rowing for running. I believe dark horse rowing has help for pregnant rowers.  If I can find the link I will share.   It'll be less strain on your pelvic floor as well.

Edit: here is the video https://youtu.be/VkC9S_aOOd4
  • Options
    @cpk3535 @rjgmcmanus totally agree! Let’s keep it up! 💪

@bookworm492 I’d be interested in rowing. I took a class once, and it was really fun! But I’ve been using the free gym in my apartment building which does not have a row machine. Either way, I don’t know if I could ever give up running. I already had to cancel the NYC marathon I was supposed to do for the fourth time this November 😭 Thankfully, it hasn’t bothered my pelvic floor at all since getting a maternity belt!
  • Options
    How is anyone rowing??? I can’t even bend over to enough to look at my pikachu
  • Options
    ktmaesim said:
    How is anyone rowing??? I can’t even bend over to enough to look at my pikachu
    Well your form has to change to accommodate the bump and your range of motion is really limited.
  • Options
    @ktmaesim I read an article about one woman who said she did it all through her pregnancy and then it was the only thing she could do post partum - and the noise of the machine soothed her baby! Apparently it's a really great exercise for pregnant folks.
  • Options
    @ktmaesim Admittedly not as easily as I used to, but still able for the moment, lol!