August 2019 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't understand the appeal of dressing your kids in identical outfits for holidays. For Easter most of my friends, especially girl moms, were posting pictures of their kids in the exact same dress. I can get on board with coordinating, but not identical. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    agpandmeagpandme member
    edited April 2019
    @mkrel RIGHT? Why do people covet blue eyes?  A friend of mine was really disappointed that her first two kids had GORGEOUS hazel and bright brown eyes.  The mother has the most beautiful bright brown eyes. Her third has blue eyes at 4 months and everyone is so in awe of how pretty her eyes are.  They are pretty but I think her other kids have wonderfully colored eyes as well.  My child will most likely have blue eyes but I won't be upset if he doesn't. 
  • Options
    I can't stand that song "High Hopes" by Panic at the Disco. It's on the radio every. single. time. I'm in my car. I have no reason to hate the song, I just really hate it.
  • Options
    @Allycat11 I generally don't prefer identical outfits but DD1 LOVES to wear the same thing as DD2... so we do it on occasion mostly to humor her... also i'm glad my twins are B/G so people don't feel the need for them to wear the same thing... 

@lilmamabebe3 I feel you. its hard to balance work and family. I have had so many people ask if I'm going to stop working when this one comes.... um nope. I love what I do, worked my ass off to get here and am the bread winner... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @lilmamabebe3 I don’t know how you are still sain. I had to do a few hours of work at home a few Saturdays ago and my husband was out of town. The kids could not get along to save their lives. It was awful. I quickly remembered why I did all my grad school work after they went to bed!
  • Options
    @mkrel - Thank goodness for people like you! My sister and I are have brown doe-eyes and have always hated them, wanting blue. Hers are actually more of a warm, golden color (think J.Lo) and mine have lightened with age (they used to be nearly black) and are closer to Rose Byrne's. She has two daughters, one with blue eyes and one with green. My DD1 has blue eyes with gold around the pupil (similar to my mom) - excited to see what DD2's eyes will look like. My husband has a DEFINITE type: brown hair and eyes and that is me to a T!

@lilmamabebe3 - I've been saying a little prayer for you when I remember to find a place and to save your sanity ... I know it's got to be rough! Thankful you can see the light at the end of the tunnel :) 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    Re: Eye color. I so agree, green hazel and brown are sooo underrated. I love my hazel eyes, and that they look more green depending on what I wear. And I love my husbands eyes. Also hazel but sooo different than mine-and gorgeous! I had a dream that Baby Bee has her daddy’s eyes so we shall see. Also...I can’t imagine being ‘disappointed’ with eye color. Same as how I can’t believe people get disappointed over gender-maybe that’s my UO. It just kind of gets under my skin when people act like or say they are disappointed/mad because they wanted a boy/girl. 

My other UO is that I’m so not into all the super girly stuff. I never was or have been my whole life so things are pretty neutral when it comes to baby clothes and decor-very little pink. I have family that loves all the sparkles and frills and I can pretty much guarantee that those things will go unworn and unused....my god I’m screwed if this little girl is my opposite!
  • Options
    @Allycat11 a good friend of mine dresses her boys in matching clothing because that way they don't get jealous of what the other brother has because they also have one just like it.  Its a survival tactic. 
  • Options
    @emqbee I'm a total tomboy and have 2 girly girls. They gravitated towards super girly stuff starting around 6 months. I had no say.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @sourlemon oh god!! I guess if she’s enthusiastic about it I won’t be able to help but support it but, I do selfishly hope she’s got at least a little of the tomboy spirit in her!
  • Options
    @peachy0709 another matchy mama here, my two boys wear matching outfits, not every day, but for special occasions, and sometimes for synagogue.
    Also, occasionally pajamas, but that's because their grandma bought them. And even then it's only when they insist on it, or the nanny gets them in PJs.
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    @lilmamabebe3 working from home with kids around is so hard!!! I’m glad you found something. 
  • Options
    @emqbee - I completely agree with both of your UOs: to me, gender is irrelevant and princess-y shit can sit-on-it-and-spin. That being said, DD1 is *obsessed* with ALL things pink, sparkly, frilly, and feminine. At first, I tried to steer her away, but it is who she is (she also LOVES digging in dirt, playing with bugs, knows ALL the dinosaurs, and is pretty handy with a drill) ... and it would be wrong of me to discourage that. I've learned ways to direct the conversation around these things (see: "yes! princesses are amazing ... and they must be smart and kind to rule effectively over their subjects") and that helps make me less anxious when I see her make a beeline to the newest, pinkest toy. Again, my hang-up that I don't want to pass onto her. But I am the opposite of girly, frilly, or sparkly. I was momentarily upset when I found out we were having another girl, but only because I was thinking of DH and wanting to pass on "the family name." I'm 100% excited about seeing what this little one will be like and if she'll be the same or more like I was/am, growing up.

**History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    I'm probably the odd one out, but I have no problem with my girls being obsessed with princess stuff and all the pink girly things.

• Options
    @peachy0709 I love everything about what you said. And if we’re embracing princesses like Mulan, I am SO in! She’s one of my favorites! I guess for me it’s more of a hope that she’s not grossed out by dirt. My husband and I are both outdoorsy people and don’t mind getting dirty, fishing, horseback riding etc. I actually love to much stalls. My sister is my opposite and doesn’t like to get dirty or bait a hook etc., so my hope is that she’s totally down with playing outside as much as I did as a kid. If we’re embracing badass princesses that stand up for themselves, are tough, don’t take crap off anyone AND can rock a sparkly dress? Yeah, that’ll work! I guess I just hope for a healthy balance. She will be who she wants and that part is just kind of mind boggling to me...the part where I don’t know her yet. But it’s going to be so flipping cool to see how she turns out. I know she’s going to be amazing!
  • Options
    @emqbee Oh yeah, my girls LOVE dirt. Especially Georgia red clay, which is notorious for staining.  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    On the topic of getting dirty, I'm working with my dad to build Pickle an outdoor mud kitchen. So yay princesses, but yay for getting dirty too!
  • Options
    For the gender stereotype Convo...I intend to expose my kids to all sorts of toys and experiences. They can choose what they enjoy. If my future daughters want to dress in princess costumes all the time (like my neice insists on) then so be it. If she wants to build things and pretend she is a construction worker or an astronaut or a race car driver, then so be it. We intend to have dolls and Lego and toy cars and a kitchen set....and any of our kids can play with any of the toys, with no pressure /judgement from us.

Again though...FTM so who knows how the plan will actually turn out 😂. At least we have LOTs of support with this method. Both sets of grandparents have the same mindset.

My BIL and SIL have a boy and girl. They never put any pressure on the kids to choose "gender appropriate" toys or clothes. But the girl gravitated to princesses and all things pink, and the boy is all about Lego, planes, cars and building things (especially traps/prisons /forts  for his little sister😂)

I'm trying to remember how I was as a kid. My parents never pressured us either. But mostly I just wanted to be "cool" like my big brother and do whatever he did.
     I do remember hating barbies...they just seemed so....boring. Lego or playing outside > barbies any day
  • Options
    @emqbee DD1 is a very girly girl and LOVES dresses/skirts/the more sparkle the better and princesses, she will also come home completely covered in mud, put on her pink sparkly light up rain boots and jump in puddles.  we did a milestone evaluation on her at one point and they asked her to feed a baby doll with a bottle... she looked at them like she had no idea... which she did since at that point we did not have a baby doll in the house (yay for trains/trucks and blocks) and I'm not sure she had ever seen a baby get a bottle. Now both she and her brother have baby dolls that they love, wear, feed and sooth. and DS went through a dress phase... if his sister was wearing a dress he wanted to also...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @chillycanadian - I like your approach.  I was a Women's Studies major so I swore up and down that nothing would be pink for DD1, and I don't know what came over me, but once we had the A/S and it was confirmed, everything in our nursery became pink overnight.  Life's funny. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    I’m still trying to figure out DD. This is the first season I’m making a bit of effort to find her clothes I think she will enjoy - before I just put her in what I liked. She hasn’t shown interest in any princess stuff and isn’t big into dolls, but loves playing with and watching stuff about trains. She seems good with dresses, but is happy running around in jeans and a t-shirt too. She really liked an alphabet t-shirt I got her, which was cute...the kid loves her letters and numbers. It’s been funny now that we’ve potty trained to see what kind of panties she likes...turns out she prefers anything with patterns (stripes, dots), shapes (like hearts) or animals (mainly dogs / cats), and could care less about the ones with unicorns. So on one hand she doesn’t seem super-girly, but then...she has a MAJOR shoe obsession. After “Dada” and “Mama” her first word was “shoes” and we recently had a meltdown in Target b/c I wouldn’t let her have ALLLL the shoes. It’s pretty funny. And the shoe obsession is definitely not being passed along from me!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @aecm OMG the shoes. My girls are completely obsessed and I'm a horrible mom for buying them so many. Each kid has at least 20 pairs (but most of DD2's are hand me downs from DD1). But they actually do wear them. And it makes them so happy. I wont even mention how many shirts and dresses they each have..........we're terrible!

• Options
    @aecm and @sourlemon I swear DD1 is amelda marcos... she has so many damn shoes and loves to wear different pairs throughout the day. I think DD2 will follow in her "shoes" as her first work after mama and dada was shoes. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx