December 2019 Moms

High HCG rising but not doubling

Hey ladies!

So I went in at 4 weeks 3 days based off lmp for my first HCG. It came back super high at 4990. My dr was out of town so went in again at 5 weeks 2 days for draw two. Got the results today and they are only at 10082. My dr called and said not to worry as they are rising and we will repeat again Monday to see where my numbers are. It took us 7 years to concieve this baby after our daughter. I had an ectopic prior to her birth and a MMC due to trisomy 12 over 3 years ago at 11 weeks. Has anyone been in this situation where high HCG is not doubling but baby turned out okay? I have just been crying all day 😢

Re: High HCG rising but not doubling

• I don’t have any personal experience, but I think that HCG doubling time starts to slow down after you get to that high of numbers.  At over 10,000, you should be able to see the baby on an ultrasound and that would be a more reliable detector of viability than HCG numbers.  Can you ask for an ultrasound Monday instead of another blood draw?  I’m sorry that you’re stuck in limbo 🙁
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • LVT84LVT84 member
    Thanks for your response! My dr said she wants to check my numbers again Monday to make sure they continue to rise. Then my ultrasound is scheduled for April 29th unless I bleed before then she said. I had an ectopic in 2011 that my numbers were only checked once and regretfully my numbers doubled beautifully and I saw a heartbeat 3 separate times when I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks due to trisomy 13. All these numbers due is stress me out. If I don't have a decent rise Monday I think I will see if we can move ultrasound up. I am so worried even though I know I cannot change anything. ☹
  • Loading the player...
  • Hysterical here....

first beta 1 day early - 52
    48 hoists later (last Thursday) - 95
    today - 195
    i just got the results they said they were about viability of this pregnancy they wanted to see my beta in 400-500 range
    also my thyroid level came back at 7.9 she said very high. She said should be less than 4 normally and less than 2.5 during pregnancy. They are starting me on medication. 
    I had a miscarriage last cycle with betas 24, 48, 98. 

I can’t believe this is happening again.
  • LVT84LVT84 member
    I am so sorry you are here with me. Waiting on my results from today. Praying for you! 
  • How were your results???
  • LVT84LVT84 member
    Still waiting for them regretfully. This is beyond nerve wrecking, but dr said they should be viewable in the morning. 
  • LVT84LVT84 member
    My HCG in 5 days only rose 2990. 4/17-10082, 4/22-12994. Waiting to hear from dr who is out of the office today. Not optimistic but trying to stay hopeful.  :'(
  • I’m so sorry! Is it still supposed to double with it that high already? How far along are you?
  • LVT84LVT84 member
    I don't know if they are as people say no, but my dr had wanted them repeated as they had not doubled. I am 6 weeks 1 day based off lmp but first HCG level at 4 weeks 3 days was 4990 so they have been high from the start. 
  • 4/16 8dp5dt 52
    4/18 10dp5dt 95
    4/22 14dpt5dt 149
    Today 4/24 16dp5dt 231 then 2 hours later in hospital 253

Nurse called and said although they are increasing they are not doubling and very concerning and likely won’t be viable again. Go back in on Saturday for ultrasound and blood work. 5 weeks today. Very upsetting. 

Anyone experience anything similar?

Last cycle in Feb my betas were 24, 44, 98 then went down and ended in miscarriage
  • Diagnosed ectopic today measuring 5weeks 6 days today 😔
  • @italianmommy8 I’m so sorry. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • @italianmommy8 I’m so sorry.  :(

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• @italianmommy8 I’m so sorry. 😢 (((Hugs))) to you
  • LVT84LVT84 member
    Oh no I just read this! I am so sorry! Please let me know if you need anyone to talk to. My first was an ectopic with a ruptured tube.  :'(