August 2019 Moms
Options

WTF Wednesday 4/17

Re: WTF Wednesday 4/17

• Options
    @mrosek91 It really is. Do you think their sense of urgency is in response to all the buzz around that anti-vax community in NY? I keep hearing about in on NPR almost daily. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @oklahomak, I think it's a little bit of the NY outbreak, and also the fact that they just found new cases in Baltimore which is less than an hour away from us.
    But it's also the fact that these outbreaks are disproportionately affecting Orthodox Jews.
    Here's an interesting article on why that may be. https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/04/03/measles-outbreaks-are-sickening-ultra-orthodox-jews-heres-why-many-them-go-unvaccinated/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c2dd816db26a
  • Options
    @mrosek91 i think its crazy that the outbreak has gotten this bad. I applaud the rabbis for stepping up.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @mrosek91 - I've been very anxious about the outbreak. I work in downtown Brooklyn, NY and live in Westchester, NY. While there aren't as many reported cases in Westchester as there are in Brooklyn, it still has me freaked out. I read that a man was infected in Brooklyn, drove to Michigan where he was misdiagnosed with bronchitis, and infected 38 people. I agree that it's concerning that it's gotten to the point where those who aren't in healthcare or government feel obligated to get involved and inform the public.
  • Options
    MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited April 2019
    @aecm - Has the nose-picking started? That was my WTF for a solid 2-3 weeks. And she KNEW how much it bothered me (even though I'm fastidious about nose hygiene) and would proudly exclaim "I have boogers! I eat it!" even when she didn't because she knew she'd get a reaction. At first I told her to stop because she'd turn into a camel because they eat their boogers (Mom of the Year here lol) and then I did start ignoring it. Best of luck. Toddlers are weirdAF and boldAF.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    aecmaecm member
    @MamaK225 LOL no, thank goodness, but since we potty trained she has become obsessed with playing with toilet seats. It’s kinda gross at home and super gross if she tries it in public. Bleh. I’m super tired of scolding / nagging / yelling about it. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @sw1122 I live in rockland. I’m afraid to bring my kids anywhere even though we are all vaccinated. My OB office recommended that I not visit my dad in the hospital to not risk anything. It’s so frustrating. 
  • Options
    @aecm - I'd rather be dealing with that than with diapers/pull-ups. DD1 refuses and we're just kind of in Her Show until we find whatever gives her incentive to finally commit. No amount of bribes/threats/rewards/punishments have influenced her in the least, so we're just ... waiting. I'm hoping when I have her sit in on some diaper changes (pleeeeeeeeeease, let her be trained before this!) she'll get grossed out and not want to do it anymore. Sigh.
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @mia8263 - I'm so sorry to hear that you may not be able to visit your dad - that is incredibly frustrating. I heard that some hospitals in the city are requiring visitors to provide proof of immunization/vaccination. Perhaps you could ask the hospital to see if they've implemented this? I just read that Rockland County just barred anyone diagnosed with measles from public places. This makes sense, but the incubation period for measles is over a week, so anyone exposed to the disease and not yet showing any symptoms are at risk for further spreading the disease. I just feel like this is all being handled very poorly.
  • Options
    @heml I was wondering the same thing earlier this week, and wishing dpchickens would come respond to some in our BMB...
  • Options
    This has just been a crappy day. Like, it started ok. But the afternoon just went to heck in a handbasket. 

I got adjusted at the chiropractor this morning. By the end of nap time I was so sore/stiff despite icing it that I had to go up the stairs with only one leg first veeeeery slowly because my lower back was dying. 

Then DS was in a fussy mood all afternoon, and when I told him his grandma was not home yet for him to go visit, total meltdown and chanting her name. I finally get him over there, and she's tired and didn't really want to have him visit today, which made me feel like a jerk for bringing him over. 

Get home, attempt to get chicken thawed to cook dinner. 

DH has to work late, so I go pick DS back up from grandma's house by myself after I get the chicken in the oven. 

DH finally gets home. Does not take over cooking dinner. 

Finally the cook time is up & thermometer says 165, I get it out and let it rest per the recipe. 

Go to cut it for (late, now) dinner... the F*in chicken is STILL RAW. So, I guess my thermometer is broken? It was still slightly frozen in the middle when I started cooking? Who the heck knows. 

I abandon DH with the toddler and chicken (now back in the oven) and go take a shower. Come back down, DS tries to climb onto a bar stool while standing on a plastic toy bin. It slips sideways, and he falls face first into the tile and gets 2 bloody lips and a busted nose! 😭😭

Thankfully nothing appears to be broken (nose) or chipped (teeth). But good God, I'm glad it's bedtime. This day needs to be over with. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    @WinchesterGirl that sounds like a rough day. I hope tomorrow makes up for it and your son  is feeling ok after that fall!
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl oh my gosh! That sounds like an utterly horrid day! I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that! Especially all at once and when you're in pain!! Internet martini for you! 🍸
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl internet hugs! That’s such a bummer of an afternoon—one thing after another and just relentless. 

Also, chicken mishap solidarity! I have a double oven and tonight I turned on one and then put the chicken in the other. So dinner was super late for us too. 
  • Options
    I know it's Thursday, but this happened yesterday.  As I mentioned in some other posts, I've been traveling for work.  DD2 apparently had a low grade fever at daycare.  The daycare is a work sponsored daycare - for DH's work.  Yet, despite the fact that my phone was going straight to voicemail (BECAUSE I WAS ON A PLANE) they proceed to call and leave me 3 messages over the course of 2 hours before they finally pick up the phone and call DH, who is literally sitting down the block. WTF daycare! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @peachy0709 - My inner pirate would STAB someone for that shit. UGH. Mom's aren't the only ones on parenting duty. Thankfully, our daycare will text both of us and whomever is able to respond does so first.

@WinchesterGirl - YUCK. One of my most favorite gadgets I've gotten in recent years is an Instant Pot - and it comes in SO handy for moments like that. If I don't have time to defrost chicken (since moms seem to be the only ones who prepare/plan meals or taking proteins out to defrost), you can cook it in there for 1-2 min more than what a fresh/raw piece of chicken would require. FX today is so much better!
    **History in Spoiler**

• Options
    Thanks girls! Today is off to a much better start. DS's lip looks a little swollen today, but MUCH better. And his nose is a little puffy but not much. 

We are going out for dinner tonight so NO chicken issues tonight. Phew. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!