October 2019 Moms
Options

Things People Say to Pregnant Women

Re: Things People Say to Pregnant Women

• Options
    Oh my gosh. With DS, my in-laws *said* they would wait a little while before visiting after the baby came. Then as soon as they got the call he’d been born, they were on the road (a six hour drive) to visit immediately. Luckily they didn’t stay with us, but when they did come over they overstayed their welcome and weren’t much help to me at all. They just wanted to hold the baby all the time. It was a really stressful time for me (breastfeeding difficulty, excess weight loss and jaundice) and I’m going to insist we do things differently this time around. 

@greenbean-2 I’m so sorry you have to deal with your FIL’s insensitivity. At least DH is fully on your side!
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    These IL stories sound like what my ILs would do if their dogs weren’t banned from my house 🙈 they’d be camping out in the hospital if I told them where I’d be delivering at (perks of having 4 hospitals within a 30 minute drive, I guess)
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Toxic family members seems to be the specific of the week 🙄 my grandma (which is the one I'm thinking of cutting out finally) told me when we had our son we didn't need more children cause we had a boy. Then when we had our daughter, she goes you got lucky you have one of each now! Time to tie your tubes. Yesterday she asks are you finally gonna tie your tubes, you insurance cover it. It needs to be done. She has never given us help, never comes around or calls unless she's gonna yell at me for something I said or how I act. I told her to shut it cause it's none of her concern if I have a football team or I stick with three. 🙄🙄🙄

• Options
    This wasn't offensive so much as just awkward, but... I was at my son's art class last week and told the group I was pregnant. The instructor was like, "You, know, I thought you might be, because you go to the bathroom A LOT."

What she doesn't realize is that I was going to the bathroom just as much before pregnancy because the class is at 10am and that's about when my multiple cups of coffee made their way through me. Now I'm going to be self-conscious about my bathroom usage. 
  • Options
    Boy I'm glad my MiL lives away from me lol. We don't have a close relationship with her and she knows her boundaries. We still get comments from others though..... Pregnancy makes everyone experts lol. 

I follow my mom's advice now and just smile and nod. 
  • Options
    From before I was pregnant, but I asked one of our admins about getting an additional accelerated physics course offered for next year, as I'd be willing to teach it, and a different (female!) admin said "But isn't your son about 2? I assume you'll be trying for another soon, and I doubt you'll still want the responsibility then." I was livid!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    steminist said:
    From before I was pregnant, but I asked one of our admins about getting an additional accelerated physics course offered for next year, as I'd be willing to teach it, and a different (female!) admin said "But isn't your son about 2? I assume you'll be trying for another soon, and I doubt you'll still want the responsibility then." I was livid!
    OH HELL NO.
    What she said. Unbelievable!!
  • Options
    steminist said:
    OH HELL NO.
    What she said. Unbelievable!!
    I 2nd that what she said, but I'd probably add some expletives lol
  • Options
    Just two minutes ago, from one of my coworkers on a conference call: "Oh it's going to be so fun to watch you get fat!" Ummmmmmm
  • Options
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Options
    Just two minutes ago, from one of my coworkers on a conference call: "Oh it's going to be so fun to watch you get fat!" Ummmmmmm
    What an odd thing to say. But it made me think of when Gloria was pregnant on Modern Family. Claire was always jealous of Gloria, so I think you should take it as a compliment 😉

• Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how many of these comments come from other woman. I just don't understand.
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    When I was about 14/15w pregnant with DS1, I had someone tell me that I should stop talking about it in case something happened 😒 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    galentine said:
    @greenbean-2, yes! What is with that messed up sentiment?! 

I have been getting the opposite - people assuming my H must be disappointed having a girl. 

Coworker: what are you having?

Me: it's a girl!

Coworker: cool! Ohhhh, is your H disappointed? 

Me:......................... no.
    I keep getting this too! Why the hell do people think it's okay to ask this stupid, stupid question? I just do not get it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm really glad I'm not finding out the sex, simply because I wouldn't be able to contain my response if I got a negative response like this. To shut them up, maybe say, "Yes, we do know, but we're keeping it a secret until after the birth for personal reasons."

ETA: I realize I don't really have room to speak on this, but I've heard people use that response before and it seems to end the discussion pretty quickly, with only a few still trying to pry it from the woman after the fact.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @galentine Argh!! That’s obviously the implied flip side of the comment I got but the fact that someone would actually say that out loud makes me want to throw something. We need to come up with some good responses to that type of comment. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @meagan-t same. it's almost a relief I get to avoid this conversation. In other news, I got judged at a wedding for taking two sips (two SIPS!) of DH's beer. Whatever.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @meagan-t same. it's almost a relief I get to avoid this conversation. In other news, I got judged at a wedding for taking two sips (two SIPS!) of DH's beer. Whatever.
    Solidarity. I had one woman flat out go “I can’t watch this!” when I had a half glass of wine while pregnant with DS1. She was a nurse and knew it was okay here and there, too
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @cmbt2 It's like people just can't help themselves when it comes to judging pregnant ladies!
  • Options
    My family is the opposite! And so are my in laws! My youngest SIL has 2 girls. She wanted only two kids, but because her husband doesn't have a boy(her words not his!!!!) They'll be having one more and it better be a boy cause she's done after that🤦🏽‍♀️ my oldest SIL has 2 boys and her last was a girl. She wanted one more cause her SO has 2 girls only. He got snipped cause he didn't want anymore and she was upset cause she wanted a boy for him. He's perfectly happy with 2 girls. They both told us when we had a boy and girl we were perfect now🤦🏽‍♀️ I'm happy to be team green cause it's irritating them I won't let them know what it is. No one is gonna know til this baby comes out of me 😂 my grandma keeps going on about how I didn't need anymore cause I had a boy and a girl and it was a perfect nuclear family, minus that were not married. Ughh.
    So back to coworkers. I have one that keeps telling me I'm gonna be big as a house if I keep eating so much. Grrr. Another tells me I'm finally starting to look pregnant. Nope I still look fat😂 but thanks I guess.

• Options
    My anatomy scan is in 2 weeks and I’m already trying to think up good comebacks for the people who would inevitably say we can “be done” since we already have a boy
  • Options
    jenferlee82jenferlee82 member
    edited May 2019
    Ugh I can't even read these today without getting mad - guess I'm just in that kind of mood. This is so dumb, and people are so judgey! Next time I say have a whole beer. If they're going to judge you over it, it might as well be worth it!  ;)

ETA because my outrage made me incapable of proper spelling
  • Options
    So far I was just chewed out by my MIL because my fiance and I found out the sex asap versus keeping it a surprise. I have also been lectured about having a glass of pop at dinner by her. Gotta love the in laws 😁
  • Options
    @galentine Oh boy, your MIL is at it again! You are truly a saint for putting up with her comments.
  • Options
    junebabyhjunebabyh member
    edited May 2019
    @galentine Would have been hilarious if your H then said, "Sorry. I sound like my mom."
  • Options
    cheznetcheznet member
    @sweetteaandswingsmama My niece was named muffin in utero because of the "muffin top"