August 2019 Moms

Weekly Randoms 4/8

Re: Weekly Randoms 4/8

• I'm not sure if any of you use Ovia through an employer sponsored program, rather than the general consumer one.  But this is interesting about the employer's ability to access your Ovia data:

• I love the grandparent name talk! My H’s dad is already Pop, but he recently got remarried so not sure what his wife will want to be called. The older kids call her Miss “first name”, but assuming she’ll stick around long term I feel like our kid should have a name for her too.

My mom wants to be Grammy (I think that’s how she spells it?) and my dad said he wants the baby to decide 😂 I want him to just go by Grandpa.

No idea what my MIL and SFIL will want - we will see them this weekend so will hopefully ask. My SFIL has grandkids but isn’t close with them so not sure if they have a name for him or not. I imagine my MIL will make it an unnecessary drama to pick a name...
  • Loading the player...
  • @Twinkiedoll - WOW. That is a terrifying. A lot to think about.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @peachy0709 🤣 hahaha great sugestion! maybe that will get her off the idea! Haha

@BigBadWolf12 I honestly have no idea haha! She seems to think it's fun. I feel like it was the first uncommon random name that popped into her head, and now she is stuck on it! Haha
  • @chillycanadian This is one of those times where I'm grateful for the complicated naming system in Chinese culture.  There is a separate "title" given to each relative.  So the word for maternal grandmother is different from paternal.  The word for aunts/uncles/cousins on the mother's side is different from those on the father's side.  I confess I don't know the actual names of most of my relatives because I only call them by their titles.
  • @chillycanadian I think that's a great idea, I think some of the other boards also have a Thankful Thursday. It would be nice to have some positive threads going here.
  • aecmaecm member
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 I’ll join your pity party for the swollen fingers / no more wedding bands. I took mine off a few weeks ago, and I miss them. I should probably drop them off for a cleaning while I’m not using them!

@oklahomak 3/4 of our grandparents were easy about the naming - one threw a fit and couldn’t decide. My mom wanted to be Grandma or Grammy - for the moment Grammy has stuck. My dad was adamant he wanted to be Grandpa...as soon as DD was talking she started calling him “PoPo.” We have NO idea where she got it from, but it’s stuck, and he ended up loving that she gave him a special name. FIL wanted to be PaPaw and that’s stuck. MIL....🤦🏻‍♀️. She originally wanted to be Nonna, which apparently is Italian, and felt really weird since we are 0% Italian. Even DH felt awkward using it, so she switched to Mamaw. Normally I wouldn’t care but at age 2 DD is finally starting to enunciate well enough that we can differentiate “Mama” from “MaMaw” (she’s also recently graduated to calling me Mummy sometimes, so that also helps). It was heartbreaking for me to hear DD say “Mama!” and have MIL respond. DH won’t let me make her switch it since we already nixed the Nonna name, but I refuse to call her Mamaw...I refer to her as Grandma, and fully intend to indoctrinate the twins to that name 😂. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    edited April 2019
    @Beauxbaton, if I were you I’d make contact with all your providers and ask for all your family’s EOB’s for the year. They’ll have them all on file!

ETA: they might act like it’s difficult, it’ll be a little time consuming if there’s a lot, just be patient with them
  • @oklahomak my MIL & FIL are just Grandma and Grandpa.  Our LO will be the first grand baby on my side of the family BUT my puppy is treated like a baby already. And we call my mom Gammy (which is what we called my Grandfather).  And my dad Boss (he cracked a joke about it one time and it stuck. And I’m so used to calling him that around my puppy that I’m not sure he can change it now lol)
  • @oklahomak My MIL is comes from an Italian-American family, so she has decided on nonna. My FIL has more or less said he's fine with whatever the baby settles on or can pronounce, but I'm not sure what he wants us to introduce him as. My parents are likely just going to be grandma and grandpa.
  • @chillycanadian On another Forum we have a "Yay Of The Day" thread. 
  • Is anyone else already starting to have baby shower talk?  Read: drama with the ILs (or whomever). 

My parents will be Oma & Opa. ILs would like to be MawMaw & PawPaw. That’s way too close to Mama & Papa (for mom&dad) for my
    comfort. I refer to them as Grandma & Grandpa for our baby.  
  • @jrm_14 No drama, exactly, but several family friends offered to throw a shower for me, which I've had to decline because it would be in California (I'm on the east coast) and we couldn't pin down a time that would work. And my close friends otherwise are kinda all over, so no shower for me at all. MIL is pretty disappointed that I won't be having one, but not in a way that's causing problems; mostly I think she's sad she's missing out on an opportunity to celebrate with me and I won't get to have that experience.
  • Yay @Beauxbaton !!!!!! That’s great news!! I’ve been stressing about this for you. 
  • Wow, thank you all so much for sharing your grandparent names! It's so interesting to hear what names people from different parts of the country/different cultures/various religions use. I'm kind of hoping my ILs go with a traditional Grandma [Name] and Grandpa [Name] or something similar, but we shall see :) 
  • Sorry for the separate posts this morning, ladies. I had the first one written yesterday and I thought it posted. I'm also the worst at replying on my phone! 

@jrm_14 Not a ton of real shower planning yet, but my two close girl friends and older sister have asked to host one for me and a lady at church asked about dates. What's going on with yours? 
  • @thirdtimesacharm2019 see I think you should take it in the other direction... say your due in December or having quints...  or just say when ever this baby decides it wants to come.... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @wabash15 I wish I could act surprised with a straight face “like what are you taking about? I’m not pregnant”... 😂😂
  • @thirdtimesacharm2019 I hate "the look" too! Everyone carries so differently, but I don't think people realize that. 
  • @oklahomak I just hope this has made me more aware so I don’t make bonehead assumptions without thinking. 
  • @Twinkiedoll swedish has unique names for people too.

Far = father,  mor= mother so 
    Farfar =paternal grandpa
    Morfar = maternal grandpa
    Etc.
    Similar for aunts and uncles being translated to "dad's sister" "mom's sister"

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• @Beauxbaton That’s great news!!! Babies are expensive enough without double deductibles! 
  • @jrm_14 I had so much drama with my MIL about the baby shower.  I said early on I didn't want one.  She kept saying passive aggressive things like, "Grandparents really like buying gifts for the grandkids so you should really have a shower."  Eventually, I relented, and it ended up being a baby shower with her and 12-14 of her friends. 

I'm glad that since this is the second baby and I don't have to go through that again.
  • My mom gave me her damn cold. And DH just left for 3 days for work. I feel like shit. My eyes burn, I'm congested, my head hurts, and I'm so so tired. All I want to do is hang out in a hot steamy shower. But all three kids are awake.
  • @jrm_14 I’m technically having 3 showers.  One at school in 2 weeks (they’re doing it early before all the testing craziness starts), my main one here on June 1st, and a BABY-Q in my hometown on July 14th (this one will be more of a low-key bbq and co-Ed so my dad, brother, and FIL can come and I’m making H come against his will.  The other invitees are my mom’s sisters and friends & H’s side of the family). 
  • I feel kinda bad....recently on here the grandparents calling the baby ‘my baby’ came up. It hasn’t been an issue with my family until tonight when my mom is showing me all these things she’s buying for her house and I said mom we should really have a conversation about what you realistically need. She’s buying a packnnplay, swing/rocker thingy(my brains blanking) and a big a$$ armoire for clothing. Looking at newborn car seat/carrier combos. The works. And then she did it. She referenced the need for the things for HER baby. It struck a nerve. I said ‘um, MY baby, thank you very damn much. I know I’m going to have to apologize later. I really do appreciate all she’s doing and how excited she is. And this is her first grand. Crap. Why can I just close my mouth sometimes. 
  • Sitting in the bathroom having a good cry and feeling sorry for myself because my 2.5 yo DS decided to have a cry fest and temper tantrum since dinnertime. Saying No to everything is just getting on my nerves and since I can't show my anger on him, I locked myself in and let DH deal with it all. 
  • I'm one of those weird people that the "my baby" thing doesn't bug me...except when MIL does it cuz everything she does bugs me. But my mom says it sometimes when we drop the girls off shells say "and how are my sweet babies today" and even the daycare teachers do it. I think it's great that they all love my kids so much. I'm also not a very emotional person so maybe I'm just broken.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I think there is a difference between a grandparent talking about “my baby” and setting up a full on nursery (unless the child will be staying there while the parents work full time). Otherwise it seems like a setup for a bad hallmark movie. 
  • Omg. A bad hallmark movie. I’m just concerned that she’s got this expectation that the baby is going to be at her house ALL the time and that is just not realistic. Husband and I aren’t at their house all that frequently now, and she works full time so it’s not like she’ll be keeping her for us while we work, yanno? I’m just afraid she’s got this idea in her head that she needs a full blown nursery, wardrobe of clothes etc, and that’s just not how it’s going to play out. So that coupled with the ‘my baby’ thing and add in a bad hormonal day and my response was less than stellar. 
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited April 2019
    @oklahomak @twinkiedoll

SIL is due the same time frame as me. We said from the beginning that a joint family shower would be great- less work from all of the family, etc. We thought we were doing them all a favor. Also, SIL can’t drive for medical reasons.  One shower reduces the days BIL has to take off work to bring her. Anyways, MIL & FIL made a comment a while back about how one shower isn’t fair & we should do two. One of the aunts texted me this week to tell me they will be separate showers.
    SIL asked MIL at family dinner tonight why we can’t do one & we explained our reasons for wanting it joint. MIL tried to act dumb & blame it on the aunts but she looked SO guilty that she’s the hold out. MIL probably wants two so one can be very pink for SIL, and to have an extra social event. 🙄.  It’s ridiculous all around. I know SIL & I should be grateful for a shower from them. On the other hand, they asked what we wanted & we told them. 

@purplg8r Ohhh!  Your work shower is so soon!!!!  That’s exciting!  I’ll end up with 3 showers, as well. I love unboxing & organizing almost more than the actual items lol
  • @sourlemon I feel the same way. I think its cute for grandparents to love the new babies as their own.  Family is so important in this fast pace world.  Connections are good <3   Not that they would but I would love it if my parents got all sorts of stuff for their house.   All it does it make life easier for when they watch the baby. You don't have to haul as many accessories LOL. 
  • Late to the grandparents names but wanted to add my dad is Big Daddy. I think it’s so cute lol my mom will Granny and MIL & FIL are Mimi and pawpaw. I personally hate the name pawpaw so I might change that one to just grandpa