August 2019 Moms

STM+ check-in w/o 4/6

How far along are you? How big is baby?
How old is/are you other kid(s)?
Nails and fails from this week:
Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: 
GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school?

Re: STM+ check-in w/o 4/6

• How far along are you? How big is baby?
    20 weeks, banana

3 and 1.5

Not sure I have any, it was an average week, good moments and bad, but nothing that stands out.

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: 
    Please tell me it's not only my son. I will ask him if he wants something (shirt, food, toy, etc.) And he will say not that one, and then anywhere from 5-20 suggestions later he will decide actually he wants the first option. And if I try leaving it open ended, what do you want... He says no mommy you pick, then cue the scenario above.

GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school?
    Yes, I went to Yeshiva University Sy Syms School of Business, which no one has ever heard of.
    23 weeks,  bunch of grapes

How old is/are you other kid(s)? 18+months

Nail - had people over last night in a "meet each other" thing from church,  so we didn't know them before,  and it was a really nice evening
    Fail - my one class drives me batty

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: 

Uni in Canada

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Loading the player...
  • aecmaecm member
    @mrosek91 Your son sounds a lot like my husband 😜. 

How far along are you? How big is baby?
    20+1, bananas

How old is/are you other kid(s)? DD, age 2

Nail - continued potty training success with DD! No accidents in several days, and we went out to dinner Friday night with no problems. Life is getting back to normal. I built potty training up in my mind and was dreading it so much...I’m just so relieved that we’re through the worst of it and it wasn’t all that bad. 
    Fails - I don’t have the stamina or speed to keep up with DD anymore. It’s ok indoors, but the weather has been nice this week and I tried going outside with her...and I just can’t do it. Cue the mom guilt for keeping her indoors until DH gets home from work. 

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: 
    I’m definitely starting to get uncomfortable. I was trying to get out of one of our recliner chairs last night and I was flailing around and grunting like a beached whale. DH thought it was hilarious. I was torn between wanting to laugh with him (I was seriously pathetic) or crying (I’m only halfway through this pregnancy!). 

I got my PharmD from a small-ish university in the Midwest. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 20w1d Banana 
    How old is/are you other kid(s)? DD 6 DS turns 3 on Tuesday!
    Nails and fails from this week: Nail-survived spring break with most of my sanity. I also cooked more this week. Fail-Was losing my mind and snapping like crazy today, will probably elaborate more on the Monday b-fest post. 
    Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: i am getting really sick of DH working 7 days a week. It has been since Thanksgiving and it is just completely exhausting. This week it hit hard because we had 10 days of spring break which means no school or activities for the kids and FIL was out of town so I had no one to jump in and help. 
    GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school? I went to Grand Valley State University which is in west Michigan..
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• How far along are you? How big is baby? 20w, a banana 

How old is/are you other kid(s)? 5 and 10 days away from 2!

Nails and fails from this week: We're in the South, so the pollen is OUT OF CONTROL.  We're all a big sniffley mess in our house. 

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: I don't quite know what to do about my neck and shoulders.  They keep going out of alignment from me popping and my boobs being so much bigger than usually (they are at full nursing size for me) and despite going to my chiropractor regularly, I am almost constantly feeling pressure there.  

GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school?: I went to college in Washington, D.C. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 21w3d, endive ... I really hate that comparison for some reason (probably because people in the area don't know what it is)
    How old is/are you other kid(s)? DD1 is 2.75
    Nails and fails from this week: Nails - did a good bit of Spring Cleaning (got the clothes put up/pulled out, at least!); Fails - put a lot of this month's mental-load tasks on DH and he failed miserably. So tired of having to carry the damn household. (also, failed in trying to get over the rage-y feelings that have plagued this whole pregnancy)
    Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: Dear Diary, ever since I signed up for some delivery services, my life has gotten markedly easier; thank you, Universe, for rolling these things out at exactly the right time <3 
    GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school? Yes, I began at Central Washington Univ in the Cascade mountains of WA state and ended up at a small 4-year school in South Carolina (got my MBA there, too), about an hour from Myrtle Beach (what a train wreck!).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• mkrelmkrel member
    @MamaK225 What did you try to delegate to him? My husband will never understand the mental load, I swear it is a lost cause.  Luckily my job is way less stressful and time intensive than his, so we balance out that way. I just wish he could better understand everything I'm doing on top of work.  

How far along are you? How big is baby? 23+2

How old is/are you other kid(s)? DD 21 months

Nails and fails from this week: Nail: Our weekend getaway leaving my daughter went really well for everyone. Fail: I only worked out once and I need to get back on track

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary:  See above. I have fallen off the workout train and we keep ordering takeout, which has resulted in a large weight gain over the past several weeks.  It's not the end of the world, I just need to get back to eating SLIGHTLY better and at least getting 3 workouts in a week even if they are short.  

GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school? I have an economics degree from The University of Minnesota and a Nursing degree from OU. 
  • @mkrel - I had a double BBA, one concentration was Business Economics (other was finance) ... I really do miss dealing with a lot of that, but it was surprisingly helpful in my job. As far as load, it was VERY, VERY simple things: write the monthly check to daycare, write/send the check for the deposit on our summer pool membership, keep dishes out of the sink (pet peeve of mine), and give DD1 her nightly meds (currently, Zyrtec - yayyyyyyyyyy pollen!). I had to write the daycare check on Friday - a week late - AND the one for the pool membership (as well as mail it), he better PRAY we didn't lose our spot. Dishes were only cleared 3 times last week AND I had to give DD1 her Zyrtec 4x last week. Like. I. Can't. I'm going to start treating him like a kid and putting shit on his calendar so that his phone is just always going off. He has to start doing some of these small things soon, or else I'mma kill him.

@aecm - Congrats on the potty training! We're in the lurches and it's so frustrating. DD1 refuses and there's not much we can do: punishments, rewards, incentives, disincentives, none of it works. Oh well.

Any TTMs+ have any random advice for going from 1 to 2? Anything that worked or didn't work? Any products or toys that helped when dealing with more than 1 kiddo?
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @MamaK225 DS#1 was only 19 months when DS#2 was born, so a lot was probably different than it will be for you (it's amazing how much difference even a year makes in their development), but my SIL told me that she felt the hardest and most important part of having a second, was making sure that the first realized that your feelings for them had not changed at all, and you still love them.
    When you have a newborn in the house the instinct is to drop everything and go to them when they start crying, but I really made an effort that if I was doing something (for example reading a book) with DS#1 when DS#2 woke up I would try and finish it before I went to get him. I also cannot tell you how many times I have said "There's plenty of room for both of you on Mommy's lap" I'm still saying it regularly, and trying to figure out how I'm going to handle it when that's no longer true.
    Another great piece of advice is that "equal is not fair" there are some parents who are so hung up on making sure that all their kids are treated exactly the same, and are given exactly the same stuff. But that doesn't work, one great example is that every time I give DS#1 a treat for sitting on the potty DS#2 tries to get one. To be equal I should give it to him, but that wouldn't be fair to DS#1 who had to work for that treat. I know it goes over their head, but I do explain to both of them my reasoning behind why I treat them differently, when it happens. (in the example above I say to DS#2 "DS#1 got this because he sat on the potty, when you are old enough to sit on the potty you can get treats too.")
    Sorry that ended up being longer than I expected, I hope it helps...
  • @MamaK225 - I'm really not trying to be glib when I say the TV. I can't tell you how many times I'd nurse DD2 while sitting with DD1 and watch a show with her.  I learned (because DD1's love language is quality time, period the end) that sitting with her and asking questions or holding her hand or just letting her feel my presence was good.  I also would put DD2 in the bouncer and bounce her while reading books to DD1.  

Other things that are helpful when you really, really need them occupied are stickers, markers, etc.  Try the Melissa & Doug reusable sticker pads like these: 
    Also, 1-on-1 dates for your 1st and YH will be crucial! 

Finally, depending on age, DD1 liked "helping" with certain things (specifically, bath) so I would get her involved in those (but she was not interested in helping me get her dressed, etc). 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @mrosek91 & @peachy0709 - Thank you so much! I'm still trying to figure out DD1's Love Language (I'm pretty sure it's QT) and I think that'll go a long way. I totally agree with "equal is not fair" and something my sister (she was DD2 in our house) struggled with ... even through early adulthood. 
    **History in Spoiler**

• Oh, @mrosek91 makes an excellent point.  DD1 was already 3 when we had DD2 so I think she enjoyed the "responsibility" of being a big sister.  I will say we had to have a talk with the daycare because there was one teacher who kept bringing up the baby like it was a big part of DD1's identity and we had to quash that. 

This time around will be different - DD2 will not even be 2.5 yet, so it could go a lot of different ways! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @peachy0709, yes even with the pregnancy, I sense that DS#1 comprehends a lot more this time around, although it's still hard to figure out how much he really realizes that his life will be turned upside down again.
    But I was going to thank you for remembering the "helping" trick. Even at 2 DS#1 loved to "help" mommy and the baby, though most of what he had him help with was simple fetching, bring the baby his paci, or bring mommy the diaper cloth.
  • @MamaK225 I totally agree with the above and quality one on one time with your oldest is crucial. For us my DH really had to pick up a lot of bedtimes with DD but I made sure I still did it at least a couple of times a week just her and I. DD also got a gift when the baby was born that was “from the baby”. It was all kind of cool big sister stuff that helped her know her role was special and to this day she even knows what came from her little brother when he was born. Now she’s older and all about helping so I can include her that way with this little one. I’m lucky in that DS is about as easy going as they come so I don’t think he will ever notice a change - he just rolls with the punches!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
    23w, grapefruit 

16 months

Nails: My evaluation at work went great, my principal said that I'm rock solid! Yeah!
    Fails: Round 1 of standardized testing starts tomorrow. I'm not in a testing grade, but it sucks.

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: 
    @peachy0709 I'm with you on the pollen. The oak is killing us here, and I forgot to take my allergy pill today!
    Also, Saturday was my coworker's daughter's birthday party. It was miserably humid, but DD LOVED the bounce house! It was worth sweating my butt off for her to have such a good time.

University of North Texas with a bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies (elementary education)
  • @hillaryo14 - It was pretty hot/humid here this weekend and we also had bounce houses! Also, two friends of mine (who have since moved back to TX) went to UNT. What a small world. Congrats on your evaluation.
    **History in Spoiler**

• @MamaK225 That's cool, and thank you, I'm just glad it's over with!
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 21 weeks today/bump says endive

How old is/are you other kid(s)? 14 month old son

Nails and fails from this week: Nails: laundry got done....Fail: it's still not folded or put away haha

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: My son is getting tubes tomorrow morning.  It's also supposed to rain/snow/ice all night and through tomorrow.  We have to be at the hospital at 6:30am, and I live 30min away.  I'm really hoping this weather is being hyped up by everyone and won't actually be a big deal to drive in!

GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school? I am graduating 3 weeks with a bachelor's in human development and family studies from University of Wisconsin- Stout.  I also have an associate degree in Medical Assisting from Rasmussen College.
  • @MamaK225 I hate that women carry them mental load in most relationships!  I know that I get stuck with it for sure!  Sometimes I don't mind, and other times I want to rip my husband's head off because he never knows what's going on.  We have a shared Google calendar, and after repeating "did you look at the calendar?" over and over, he's finally getting a tiny bit better about knowing what's going on. 
  • Thanks @jma_18; it really is A LOT. I'm about to write a B*tchfest post that explains the newest development in the "DH can't handle Mental Load" drama diary for April 2019 (if you feel like commiserating).
    **History in Spoiler**

• How far along are you? How big is baby? 21+5, endive

How old is/are you other kid(s)? DS, 2

Nails and fails from this week: Nail - I got all of my floors and kitchen cleaned over 2 days
    Fail - DS has already destroyed about 1/2 the floor & my back is still killing me from cleaning it. 

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary: We are going on a trip next month! I'm booking our 2nd hotel & rental car this afternoon, and then we'll be all booked! Yay!

GTKY: Did you go to college? If so, where? If not, what did you do when you graduated high school? I have my AA in English from local community college, and probably about 1/3- 1/2 of my credits toward my BA from the local university, but I did not finish it. I was really floundering trying to pick a major, and then my Dad died and I just lost all motivation to continue. Looking back I do somewhat wish I'd finished just to say I did it, but honestly at this point & for my entire working career thus far, not having it has affected nothing. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • DH and I just had a discussion where three topics he didn’t even remember talking about previously. I told him I’m going to start emailing him sh!t for the paper trail. He did not like that one bit 🤣🤣. 
  • I am in charge of scheduling in our house (which makes no sense because do to his flexible schedule DH does 90% of the appointments. Here are 2 conversations we have had.
    *Reporting on DS#1's dentist appointment*
    DH: They want a follow up in 6 months
    Me: Ok, when did you schedule it for?
    DH: I didn't, that's your job.
    Me: But you're the one whose probably taking him
    DH: I know, but you take care of the schedule.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH: X invited us for Y on [date]
    Me: we can't go that's [family event] remember.
    DH: no, you're in charge of keeping track of those things.
    Me *in my head* I told you 20 times!!!!!!!!!!!
  • @mrosek91 - These exact conversations happen in our house, as well. Our company is having a huge celebration for their 120th anniversary and he was part of a select few asked to volunteer (cue eye roll) and I told him that we had planned to be out of town that weekend AND that he shouldn't accept shit like this without talking to me immediately. You know, since I'll be 30+ weeks pregnant AND dealing with a Toddler - we don't have any family or other support in a 500+ mi radius, so if something happened, I will LORD IT OVER HIM FOREVER. Or maybe I'll just schedule the trip to see my grandmother (that I've been trying to do the last few months) during that time and bring DD1 so at least I *will* have some family assistance. Sigh.

@thirdtimesacharm2019 - I do email/text/calendar things to him specifically for this reason. He gets mad when I "forget" to mark things Private so coworkers can't see it :| No, I want them to see how I have to schedule things for you because you can't be bothered to remember.
    **History in Spoiler**

• mkrelmkrel member
    @mrosek91 that would make me crazy.  I get having things that each person is generally in charge of, but use some common sense! I'm not going to leave an overflowing trash sitting in the kitchen because my husband handles the trash, but he is at work.  There is room for flexibility, especially if he's the one going to the appointments!