TTC After a Loss
Options

HCG levels after miscarriage

Hi there. I hate calling my doctor for no reason so I’m trying to determine if I have a legitimate reason to call. 

I had a missed miscarriage with my twins at 13 weeks. They stopped growing at 10 weeks and 12.5 weeks. I had a D&C exactly 7 weeks ago today. For my own sanity, I’ve been taking the cheapy pregnancy tests daily since about 2 weeks after the D&C to keep an eye on my HCG Levels and track them back to normal. They've been decreasing over the weeks but are still registering as a faint positive on 25 mIU test sticks. I had my first post-miscarriage period 2 weeks ago. I know I shouldn’t be googling medical advice but I’m only human lol and it seems to indicate that my HCG Levels should have returned back to normal by now. 

Am I just being impatient or should I call my doctor?

Re: HCG levels after miscarriage

• Options
    @kelly2989 so sorry for your loss. I had positive HCG in my system for 8 weeks post D&C (I was 13 weeks), even with AF 4 weeks after the procedure. It doesn’t always take that long, but it can and I’ve heard stories where it’s longer. My RE tracked it down with blood tests.
  • Options
    @Kelly2989 I'm so sorry for your loss. I still had hCG ten weeks post loss on a medicated loss. Turns out I probably had a little bit of retained tissue. Retained tissue is less likely with a D&C, but my RE tells me it only take cells present to keep producing hCG, so you may want to ask for betas to make sure your numbers are decreasing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would ask your OB.  I had a positive 12 weeks after my loss and retained product. I hadnt taken any tests in between to watch it go back down. Two ultrasounds said I was clear and then I passed something that was clearly retained. It might just take longer for your HCG to go back to zero, especially with twins.  But your OB should be monitoring it.