August 2019 Moms
Options

UO Thursday!

Re: UO Thursday!

• Options
    @peachy0709 what about if they are completely opposite of you but you dont discuss it at all and dont try to persuade each other? Or is it just the *knowing* where they stand on things that would cause you to leave friendships?
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sourlemon - I don't think I have a litmus test that stringent, and I think my UO is more that I think it's okay for people to do (ie, if my friend said, "I don't talk to them anymore because they believe [insert controversial topic here].").  I suppose it's an UO for the exact reason you're saying - you really think it's okay to give up a friendship even if it's not affecting your relationship?  

So my non-answer to your question is that, for me personally, it would depend.  I think there are probably at this point in my life some things I'd leave a friendship over just knowing where they stand (to make this a juicy UO, I'd probably leave a friendship if I found out my friend didn't believe in vaccinations or evolution, and I don't know that at this point in my life I feel the need to try and convince them to see my way). 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @peachy0709 Does your UO also extend to family members? Most of my friends have the same political leanings as I do. It's some family members that I'd like to cut out every once and a while, particularly around election time. Oddly enough, the political rhetoric dies down if "their side" is in power. 

My UO is that baseball opening day is overrated. It is such a big deal with my hometown's team. The majority of people who go are going just to party and will never go to another game all season.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @mrosek91 I'm not religious, but I do know that evolution is a fact. We can literally watch it happen. As you said, species evolve and change.
    That being said, who says G-d didn't create/design  things to be like that? The bible says the world was created in 6 days. But if G-d is all powerful, why do we think his days have to be 24 hours? Maybe each of his days was 10 million years? 
    So anyway, yea. I don't think the 2 schools of thought have to be mutually exclusive.
    I have friends who are super religious, and say that "I believe in G-d and the bible, and a true believer can't ackowledge any possibility of evolution." It drives me bonkers. So we don't talk about religion or science haha.

If I had a friend who was pro plague, I wouldn't need to cut them out of my life. They would do it for me, after I bluntly told them how moronic they are being. Unfortunately this doesn't work with family. *Sigh*
  • Options
    @chillycanadian exactly!! I've read some books and attended some classes on how to reconcile religion and science, and they bring up precisely those points. I had them all ready for when someone asked how I could believe in G-d and evolution, but you beat me to it.
  • Options
    @mrosek91 phew! I'm glad you were able to decipher my jumble of thoughts haha. I was worried it would come off the completely wrong way haha. I remember I first thought of it in grade 10 while at work. And my friend was telling me "dinosaurs never existed, and G-d just put bones in the ground to confuse us and test our faith". And that the world was only a few thousand years old. I suddenly was like...why do his days have to be the same length as ours? Who says the dinosaurs didn't live and die in a day that was millions of our years long?
    Anyway, she didn't accept that. So we just ....disagree and don't bring it up

@lilmamabebe3 *High five!!!!!* Kudos, and extra respect, my friend!
  • Options
    @wabash15 I agree about the college thing, especially kids right out of high school. I recently read a book that encouraged a gap year between HS and college/university where kids would do public service and/or work. I think this is a fantastic idea and hope that it becomes more accepted in the US.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @peachy0709 My father is the exact same way.. He loves to be contrarian and it drives me nuts. I still take the bait and will argue with him on it. He doesn't even necessarily believe it, he just loves to say things that he thinks people will react to. 

I have unfriended many people on facebook for posting pro-semi automatic weapons post after a shooting, pro-trump things, or just really hateful comments. I'm sure I have more facebook friends that have those opinions, but I'll only unfriend if I see you actually post that stuff. Same with in-person friends or family, especially family, I have people I know vote republican but have never said that they voted for trump or that they support him so I just kind of avoid it. It's only when it becomes an issue that I see it as toxic and I would cut them out, family included.

In terms of evolution, as long as someone agrees that some level of evolution has happened and is happening, I don't think that would bother me too much. If someone denied that we share a common ancestor with primates and a closer ancestor with other great apes that might blow my mind and I will definitely have a debate, but I don't think I would see that as leading to a potentially toxic relationship as much as more "political issues".
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @peachy0709 I was actually coming on to post something just to get us going, when I saw yours and thought that would be a lot more fun. (I'll save my other for the next time this thread needs some help)

@olivemomma I believe that it has been 5779 years since G-d completed creation. 🤷‍♀️ I think there are many ways to reconcile that fact with a world that appears to be millennia old (such as the theory @chillycanadian gave above), but since which one is correct has no real world impact, I don't usually give it much thought.
  • Options
    Also saying skin color doesn't matter erases the experience of POC. They experience the world very differently than whites. Skin color does matter. 
  • Options
    @chillycanadian I think pointing out harmful prejudices in lots of different communities is a good and important conversation to have, but the terminology can be tricky. In formal discourse on the topic, racism is defined as the combination of: 1) those prejudicial views based on ethnicity/color of skin, and 2) a power differential that is rooted in oppressive dynamics. No one in good faith can really say that Group X, just by virtue of being marginalized, is automatically free of any harmful prejudicial view, it's just that labeling that "racism" has consequences for how we talk about the motivation and larger societal effects of those views.

I understand it as a shorthand, like "dude from (marginalized) Group X is being totally racist to dude from (marginalized) Group Y," but the power differential is where the linguistic quibble comes in. And it's especially dicey when the claim is "dude from (marginalized) Group X is being totally racist to dude from (systemically in power and historically oppressive) Group Y." It's totally fair to say Group X dude is being prejudicial (based on race), or a jerk, or is being abusive, but the specific claim of "racism" is then open to (valid) questioning based on the power differential aspect, because these dynamics are not happening in a vacuum or historically neutral grounds. 

Separately, there's also the distinction between claiming an act is racist (which could well be out of unfamiliarity with cultural nuance) vs calling the person doing it a racist (which is a prickly thing and often can shut down conversation). Anyway, that's just a longwinded explanation of where that objection comes from--all of these concepts get flattened out a lot in casual conversation and online, and there are certainly ppl using these nuanced ideas as a blunt argumentative weapon! But using accurate terminology can be a self-protective measure against people who will try to argue in bad faith. 
  • Options
    Evolution- I believe that God created the world in 6 periods of time as opposed to 6 literal 24 hour days. This goes hand in hand with the scientific proof of evolution. 

Politics- I am definitely willing to cut people out over extreme political views and how they express them. DH has an uncle who regularly posts his very biased views on FB and completely bashes anyone who does not see things the way he does. I unfriended him awhile back and we actually have now cut ties in real life for other reasons. There are good people on both sides of the aisle, for me it comes down to how you express those beliefs and how you treat others with different beliefs. 

Racism- I believe that anyone of any race has the ability to be racist. 

College- We absolutely push too many people to go to college when they would be better off taking a different path. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    Re: young earth old earth.  I believe God created the world and regardless of anyone's definition of "day", I believe based on the text that God made the first humans as developed mature adult humans,  not embryos or babies. So I have no problem believing that He could/would also create a mature/developed world too that seems older than it truly is.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I just think a person is a person, and should be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of their background or appearance. It SHOULDN'T matter. A person is no less of a person because of how they look.
    Then again, I feel that about every difference. Phsycial disability, mental disability, skin colour, nationality, sexual orientation...it literally doesn't matter to me. I treat you with respect until you as a person show me you don't deserve my respect.
    I really truly don't understand the mindset that "I am better than you because you look like that". I can't comprehend it. I understand it's reality, and it actually happens. But I can't wrap my head around how anyone could ever reach that conclusion.

That being said, here, we don't have that history and deep rooted oppression of black people that is found in the states. So it's super mind boggling for me, seeing it in the media. And it's scary and distressing to imagine someone having to be cautious /scared all the time, just because of the colour of their skin. It's 2019. This shouldn't be a thing.
  • Options
    I will not unfriend someone for having different beliefs than mine with a couple of exceptions (vaccinations being the big one because that could directly effect my kids). 

I will however unfriend someone for shoving their beliefs down my throat if they find out I don’t believe in the same thing as them. 

The way I feel is vote for who you feel is the best candidate, raise your kids the way you feel is best, and live your life in a way that makes you happy!
  • Options
    My UO is that I don't.mind if all my kids desire to be in life is a janitor or work for the garbage company or if they aim higher. All I want is for my kids to be happy, healthy, and be able to live a decently comfortable life. Not completely void of minor hardships, but not so difficult that they get to a place where they feel there is no way out. I just don't care what they aspire to be. All I want is them to be happy. And to not have to pay their bills until they are 37 like my mom has done for my oldest brother.
  • Options
    @lilmamabebe3 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 To basically all of your comments.

In regards to racism - of course anyone can be racist. However, to ignore the facts and historical context is to paint an unjust picture. The ‘White’ race has proven throughout history that it is racist for no other reason than it truly believes itself to be the superior race, to be better than all others. There are so many examples throughout history and across the globe from our treatment of both Native and African Americans here in the states to the Holocaust in Europe - we have continuously used this belief in our superiorty to enslave, belittle, torture, and kill. We can’t responsibly ignore this history when we look at how we continue to view each other in present day, especially when so much racism is still front and center in our every day lives. How many times have we heard on the news in recent years that a white police officer has killed an unarmed person of a different race? ANd we currently have an administration that wants to build a wall to keep “them” out. Just because we don’t see men in white masks and pointy hats or swastikas hanging from flags doesn’t mean that the White race has buried its racist views (even though I liken to believe most have).
     I personally believe that I can’t even begin to understand the tremendous privileges and opportunity presented to me simply because Of the color of my skin. I take it for granted because I have never experienced life differently. And because I can’t walk a mile in their shoes I don’t believe I can fully understand or appreciate any feelings someone of another race may have for my own.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @Beauxbaton Agree on just wanting your kids to be happy and fulfilled. 

Always makes me think of this Onion article: https://local.theonion.com/unambitious-loser-with-happy-fulfilling-life-still-liv-1819575312

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Beauxbaton I love you said that because I totally wanted to be a garbage collector for several years of my youth (that dream was eventually replaced with wanting to be an American gladiator 😂). My parents never told me I couldn’t do something (although I dont know how they would have felt if I still had the same ambitions in my early 20s). I try to remember this in raising my kids - to be honest, I want big things for them. I expect them to go to college and hope continue their education beyond that, but you are right that happy and healthy is most important (and independent once they are in their 20s!). 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited April 2019
    I just think a person is a person, and should be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of their background or appearance. It SHOULDN'T matter. A person is no less of a person because of how they look.
    Then again, I feel that about every difference. Phsycial disability, mental disability, skin colour, nationality, sexual orientation...it literally doesn't matter to me. I treat you with respect until you as a person show me you don't deserve my respect.
    I really truly don't understand the mindset that "I am better than you because you look like that". I can't comprehend it. I understand it's reality, and it actually happens. But I can't wrap my head around how anyone could ever reach that conclusion.

THIS! Though a citizen who has lived here most of her life, I still can't wrap my head around it. After my parents had divorced, my father married a black woman in southwest Louisiana in the late 80s and it blew my mind at such a YOUNG age how much vulgarity, racism, and hatred could be doled out to a complete stranger ... for no reason other than existing. Just - wow.

And I'm right there with @peachy0709 about unfriending/removing people from my life who are either so disillusioned that I can't move beyond knowing such a belief/opinion/conspiracy or people who spew vitrol on anyone who believes differently than they do. I love how well we all - US HORMONAL, EMOTIONAL WOMEN - have been able to have solid, deep conversations around varying beliefs or theories without a single instance of disrespect or character defamation.

I'm desperately trying to come up with a UO, but I can't for some reason. Kinda shocked because I'm usually full of 'em ;) 

ETA: I would absolutely/have cut out relationships with family members because of their fervent political beliefs. I'm not going to let you "get by" with that shit just because we share a traceable common ancestor. And very close members, too. Maybe that's my UO. I don't think it's harsh, I think it's self-preservation and having respect for my own sanity and not to have to be exposed to ignorance or hatred. You can feel any way you want or have whatever opinion you wish, you don't have to be an asshole about it or step on people to do it.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @mrosek91 where does the age of 5779 come from? I grew up in Catholic schools so feel maybe I should know this but I honestly don’t. This would put us at roughly 3670 BC... genuinely curious why that date
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @olivemama - It's based on the Hebrew Calendar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @olivemomma If you ever look at a Jewish calendar you will see that as the current year, it goes up by one every year on Rosh Hashanna, it is based on our oral tradition.
  • Options
    @peachy0709 that is the best article I've read lol. It reminds me a lot.of my H. He grew up here, went to college here, still lives on the same side of town he grew up on. We see his family at least once a month. He doesn't hang out with friends from high school and he has taken some financial and professional risks and he owns a business as opposed to working for some one else. But he has no desire to move out of this city and is relatively content most of the time. 
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl my issue is also the attitude of  "anyone who does not agree with me is an idiot". I also am republican and my bff/roommate for 4 years of college was a democrat. We could see that the other person had reasons for their beliefs and respected that. We don't talk as much now but that has to do with distance and eventually just growing apart. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    I'm glad to see so many republicans on the board! I'm usually the lone wolf or part of a very small pack, so this is refreshing!

Is that a UO? I hope not.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @sourlemon where I live the vast majority of people are republican, so in real life I am surrounded by many people with similar views. I grew up in an area that had a much more even split, so many people I keep in contact with via social media have different views...and TB usually attracts a left leaning crowd. It is refreshing for me to see a mix on here and that we all seem like rational, understanding people. 

On FB I follow Scary Mommy because some of the articles are interesting. The political bias and closed minded people who comment drive me crazy though. There are so many followers who refuse to respect that their beliefs may not be the only acceptable option. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19