September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

I can’t believe it’s already the last Friday of March! April is just around the corner. 🌱🌸

Since the majority of us are now entering or well into the second trimester and those bumps are starting to appear and/or grow, it’s time for a MATERNITY CLOTHES product spotlight. So let’s hear it, ladies! Here are some questions to get us started. Feel free to answer some, all, or none of them. 
  • What, in your opinion, are staples of a good maternity wardrobe?
  • Where do you shop? Do you prefer online retailers or brick and mortar?
  • What types of bras do you recommend to support those growing milk bags?
  • For those reluctant to wear maternity clothes, what tips and tricks do you suggest to help stay in regular clothes for longer?

Check out the spreadsheet of past and future spotlights HERE

Re: Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

• Options
    FTM so I have no experience with maternity clothes, but H&M and ASOS have cute m clothes. Madewell also has maternity pants. Although they are super expensive. I tried some on at Motherhood Maternity and it was scary. They were horrible. 
  • Options
    I hate shopping when not pregnant, so finding clothes that fit me when pregnant is a real treat! 🙄

That being said, I’m cheap AF and only bought the bare minimum the first time around. I’m gonna have to get a couple more pieces this time since I’m 90% sure I can’t wear yoga pants everyday to work and I have no shorts so summer in third tri/100 degree+ will be a sh*tshow.

I had success finding a pair of pants at Old Navy, Jeans at Motherhood Maternity and shirts/tank tops at Gap, Target and Kohl’s. I wore a lot of my regular dresses throughout my entire pregnancy (I was getting a little short in the front from 36wks + tho). Pants were the hardest for me to find and I had to try on a CRAPLOAD before I found TWO pairs that fit like “normal” jeans. 

I bought two bralettes at Walmart for $5 each and it was MY BEST PREGNANCY PURCHASE EVER!! My boobs didn’t hurt after that. For reference, pre-pregnancy I’m an A. Prolly won’t work for anyone who is a heck of a lot more well-endowed. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    **Snip** And why is everything floral print?! **Snip**
    So much yes to this!  I did not all of a sudden become a chick who likes ruffles, frills, and flower print just because I'm incubating a human.

I also agree that it's hard to figure out what size you're going to need and that trying things on is essential, but not always possible since a lot of brick and mortar stores don't have a good selection.  
    My job is very casual, so I got away with getting a lot of stuff from Old Navy (online).  I made it through a lot of my pregnancy with DS on my first round of maternity clothes, but did have to get a few pieces in a bigger size toward the end because I BLEW UP in the third tri.  You just never really know what your body is going to do, so it's hard to predict.
    I'll also throw out there to be careful with Zulily for maternity clothes.  Stuff would take FOREVER and wouldn't even fit by the time it arrived, you can't return it, and the sizing was wacky on a bunch of stuff.  
  • Options
    @cammie0526 “They” say to just order your pre-pregnancy size in maternity clothes. I was able to wear everything until I gave birth. I will say it was getting questionable at the end of third tri, but at that point I didn’t have any f*cks to give and you can cross that bridge if/when you get to it.
  • Options
    I went minimalist the first time, too, and have bought a few more items for this go 'round (specifically some maxi dresses for summer weekends).  I LOVE the Jessica Simpson jeans from Motherhood Maternity.  I hate shopping (especially for clothes) and despise spending money just for a brand, but these jeans (wearing them now) fit perfectly all the way through pregnancy.  Nice and fitting through the legs, nice and stretchy through the belly and plenty long.  I feel like I look good in them, which can't be said for a lot of maternity wear.  For work last time I started wearing dresses every day at about the halfway mark (which was in April for me - I'm on the same calendar this time, lol) and that was nice.  I'm looking forward to busting those out soon as I don't want to buy maternity slacks and I'm showing a lot more a lot earlier this time!  Come on warmer weather!
  • Options
    I've been in maternity stuff for weeks now and I have a decent wardrobe thanks for some friends who sent me hand me downs. I bought the basics last time (two pair of jeans, two pair of capris, one pair of shorts and a couple nursing tanks) and a few nicer tops to add a bit of variety. Most of the stuff I have is from Motherhood Maternity and thankfully the pants there fit me well. I really like the Jessica Simpson stuff. I also have some stuff from Target that's comfy. 

The nursing bras I bought are from Motherhood and they are SO comfy and last forever. I wore them while pregnant in the third tri and for months after and they still look really nice. I didn't even breastfeed that long, but didn't want to say goodbye to them lol.

Since I will be largely (pun intended) pregnant in the summer, I plan on living in flowy dresses and shorts or capris. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @zuuls_mom I enjoy a good pun... I just laughed more than I should have.
  • Options
    I'll give hope to ftm's and say I did not buy any maternity clothes with DS. I was able to do the hair tie trick and dresses/skirts. However, I'm going to need some clothes this time!!
  • Options
    I went pretty minimalist the first time and most of my stuff is from Old Navy. I plan on getting a few more dresses this time, since last time I preferred dresses to any other kind of maternity wear. I don't like shopping for clothes normally, and just bought stuff online (during sales). I had to size up underwear around 30 weeks, and probably would have been more comfortable if I'd done it sooner.
  • Options
    FTM... so far I’ve bought a new normal bra just sized up; a pair of black slacks for work from Uniqlo (very pleased with them); and 2 maternity tanks from Target (basically normal tanks just super long). I’ve been looking online & so disappointed in the styles. I really want a pair of jeans but don’t think I’m going to have much success online & I HATE the mall. Hoping Target carries some in store because I’d love not to spend too much $$ on something I’ll wear for about 4 mo. If I planned on having another I’d thinking about splurging but I think I’m getting to old for that.  As @cammie0526 why are maternity clothes so fugly & girly? 
    Thanks for your all’s recommendations, so helpful. 
  • Options
    septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited March 2019
    I really like the jeans and basic tees (short & long sleeve from motherhood maternity. I also love stitch fix maternity! Just got a fix from them and loved every piece. I got a couple maternity fixes with my last pregnancy too. The leggings from gap maternity are awesome too! I love to shop so I have a pretty decent amount of maternity clothes 🙈 from my last pregnancy, and luckily the timing is the same.To me it’s important to feel comfortable and also feel good about your what you’re wearing while pregnant so investing in staples and some fun pieces of maternity clothes was a must for me. 
  • Options
    I agree, I found two pairs of distressed Jessica Simpson jeans at Mohtherhood that I love, but most of their clothes are not very appealing. Gap & Old Navy are my faves for non-floral styles.
    I’ve also had a lot of success with ThredUP! Their maternity section is great (and kids too!) & I’m getting some non-maternity simple summer dresses from there too. I always filter the “condition” to like-new or NWT and get clothes in mint condition. I actually got my diaper bag from there (a Fossil cross-body) too.
    Also...Goodwill has NWT Maternity Target clothes. That’s a bit of a hit or miss, but I love a good bargain when I find one there.
  • Options
    I got through with very little maternity clothes last time, but I stretched my favorite jeans and work pants such that I had to replace them after, so I wasn’t sure it saved me money in the end.

So far I have tights and one pair of jeans that I switcht out with different tops for casual days. For dressier days I’m still wearing mostly looser dresses, but I’ve liked a few things I bought from Seraphine. Some pieces are at Macy’s and I’ve had a good experience online, Seraphine.com 

I need to get some clothes for a job interview. Pickings are extremely slim so far... anyone else had luck finding flattering formal work clothes?

• Options
    Motherhood Maternity, Target, Kohls, and Old Navy have been my go to stores. Also, check out consignment stores. I just bought 3 tops, 2 tanks, and a dress for less than $30 the other day at a local consignment place. 

FWIW You will still likely need maternity wear for awhile postpartum. I have csections with previous kiddos and could not stand any bottoms that weren't the full panel type. Anything else rubbed my scar area and so I couldn't wear it. 
  • Options
    Has anyone found any maternity shorts that aren’t short shorts?! 
  • Options
    @blitzybee not sure what too short means for you personally, but I found a couple cute ones online at the Loft. They’re having a 50% off everything sale with a code. 

https://www.loft.com/maternity-bermuda-roll-shorts-with-10-inch-inseam/495289?skuId=26658377&defaultColor=6181&catid=catl000043

https://www.loft.com/maternity-scalloped-shorts-with-4-inch-inseam/495274
  • Options
    @themadcamel whooo hoo! Thank you! I’m happy with anything that’s at least halfway between my thighs and my knees! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    @themadcamel those scalloped shorts are so cute! I'm definitely ordering a pair. 
  • Options
    And then we all bought those adorable scalloped shorts! Thanks for the info @themadcamel!
  • Options
    Love the scalloped ones!! Do they have other colors besides white?
  • Options
    Yay! Glad I could help! They definitely have a smaller selection of maternity stuff compared to other stores I’ve looked at, but I love the Loft. I shop there all the time for work clothes. 
    @septoctkids looks like they only have the white :( . I love the look of white pants/bottoms, but I’m so afraid I’ll get dirty immediately! 
  • Options
    I love the Hofish bras I bought on Amazon. I got the 3-pack for $20.

I first bought one Jessica Simpson and one Motherhood Maternity bra on Motherhood Maternity's website and both were too big for me even though I measured my size carefully. The return process is too difficult and they don't have a store where I live so I'm planning on giving them to a friend who can hopefully use them.

As for pants, I took advantage of a Macy's online sale and got a good deal on a few pairs of jeans. I've never been a designer jeans person but I think the 7 for All Mankind are my favorite. I'll probably return the others (AG and Pea in the Pod).

I got a few basic tops from the sale racks at Old Navy and Target. Not sure why my local stores don't carry non-sale maternity clothes.
  • Options
    I second @themadcamel that the Loft has some nice things. I've purchased pants and a few tops from there so far during their sales. The pants are NICE. First time around, I bought cheap pants at Motherhood Maternity and they just did not wash well. 

I have to dress (more on the casual side) of business casual for work, so I can't get away with leggings and oversized tops. Plus, as @septoctkids said, it is important to me for my own mental well being and self esteem to feel put together and presentable, so I do tend to buy quite a bit of maternity wear.

I was lucky to inherit clothes from my sister & my cousin but some of it is 10 years old, (styles drastically change!!!) and some of it just doesn't work seasonally. My last pregnancy my daughter was born in June so I didn't really need a lot of summer clothes, this year I'll obviously be biggest in summer so I have to invest in some dresses. Those are definitely the most comfortable option late in the game. I like old navy online for inexpensive options, and you can return to the store. Seraphine also has some very pretty dresses (albeit spendy). 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    @kgg2241 aren't they amazing? I started at like 8 weeks... NO REGRETS!!!! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    @kgg2241 aw man, I feel the opposite way! I'm wearing maternity pants for the first time today and they feel like they might fall down at any minute. Maybe my belly isn't big enough yet. :neutral:
  • Options
    I’m with you @themadcamel. My mat pants aren’t fitting right just yet...looks like my coworkers are getting more unzipped crotch shots for a couple more days/weeks!! 🤣
  • Options
    @lillywonderland @themadcamel 😂. They are definitely a little big still and I do have to pull them up, but I feel so much more comfortable. Like maybe Ill wear these forever? Time will tell. ;)
  • Options
    For the in-betweeners, try Old Navy (regular, non-maternity) jeggings! I'm still in my normal size and they sit comfortably under/on my little belly.
  • Options
    I have to wear business casual at work, and I found a local store that carries a really cute brand (with a very dumb name) called Bae the Label. It’s a bit expensive, but most items are meant to work for nursing (with hidden zippers, etc). Most pieces are also meant to be worn later too, and there are photos on the website showing non-pregnant models wearing it. I didn’t feel as bad spending so much, since I’m hoping to wear most things for more than just the next 6-8 months. 
  • Options
    Target and H&M are the only places around me that sell mat wear in store. I’m a black leggings every day kind of gal, so I got a couple pairs from target, but I fee their clothes are so over priced. I also got some Old Navy dresses that aren’t maternity, but will work. Starting this pregnancy 50lbs heavier than I feel comfortable at, and showing so big so early has really made me just want to wear a potato sack. Ugh.
  • Options
    @kgg2241 Yesssss welcome. Embrace it. With DS I wore regular clothes until 20 weeks or so. I used a hair tie or belly band to get more use from my pants. With DD it was more like 15 weeks. The stick was barely dry this time and I busted out my maternity  pants. I may never go back 😂
  • Options
    I got an order from Gap that arrived the other day and I’m obsessed. I love that most of the cuts and patterns are basic (not tons of floral or ruffles!) and the quality is better than the few other pieces I have from Target and Motherhood Maternity
  • Options
    @kgg2241 Yep, maternity pants are where it's at!  They make me wonder why all of our jeans aren't spandex at the waist.  And then I realize that's exactly what mom jeans are.  And now I know how women end up in them.  Haha.  Image result for mom jeans elastic waist
  • Options
    @kgg2241 Yep, maternity pants are where it's at!  They make me wonder why all of our jeans aren't spandex at the waist.  And then I realize that's exactly what mom jeans are.  And now I know how women end up in them.  Haha.  Image result for mom jeans elastic waist
    Sweet Jesus, those pants  :#
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @mamaber2204 hahaaa love it. Those pants would look ridiculous on me... But I'm not sure I care anymore. TBH most of my regular pants are high waisted "mom" means anyway! 
  • Options
    @nikkiraqs here you go 
  • Options
    Thank you @septoctkids

I had no idea how much I'd have to get. I was making my regular stuff stretch until it got warm here...I had NO warmer weather stuff that would fit. Still wearing my regular leggings. 

I ended up with 2 pairs of Jean's from Target. Bought the ones with stretchy panels but they kept falling off my ass. Got 2 more pairs from Motherhood on a BOGO sale and damn I hate to admit it, but the belly panel looks so much better. I actually love these Jean's and 2 pairs for $40 wasn't bad. 
        Shopped the sales this weekend. Got 4 dresses from Motherhood (dat BOGO tho) and 1 shirt. Ordered 3 shirts from Old Navy and 3 dresses. All in all I paid like $25 an item but it all adds up and I fully expect to have to return like half the Old Navy stuff. 
         I just went a size up in panties, JC Penny had 5 for $25 this past weekend. I could use some bras...my boobs finally got bigger. My mom got me 3 shirts from JC Penny I adore. 
         I really can't believe there aren't more options for moms! I want to try on stuff! I dont want to wear pastels and florals! Why can't I have awesome black clothes with skulls and cats on them!?!?!
  • Options
    @nikkiraqs I keep hunting for cute stuff in black or with skulls or just non freaking floral. No luck so far. If I find a place I will so share.