September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bath Time

What up, mamas?! It's time to talk bath time! Discuss what infant and/or toddler baths you use (if any), toys, thermometers, spout covers, etc.

Re: Product Spotlight: Bath Time

• Options
    Link to the spreadsheet.

*Tried to edit the post, but I don't see where the option is to do that..? I'm on a laptop.
  • Options
    @themadcamel I think it's in the upper right corner, right? Or I am totally wrong. 

So, for bathing we used the first years plastic tub. It worked well and we didn't have any issues with it. I ended up tossing it out because we were moving and I didn't want to haul it with us and it was cheap enough to buy again for a second kid. One thing I will never live without again though is the 4 Moms spout thermometer! DS HATED baths when he was little. Like, would scream the whole time. I was really careful not to make the water hot, but I think it was too cold because I was nervous about making it too warm. Well once I got that thermometer, I learned that he likes his water between 99-100 degrees. After that was discovered he's been happy as a clam during bath time. It's like $40 which can seem like a bit of a splurge, but it's totally worth it!
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    +1 on the bath thermometer!  We have the alligator who sits in the water and tells you the temp.  We named her Temperance.  :)  We had the same issue as @zuuls_mom in the beginning - water was too cool at 95-98.  DS liked it at 99-100, too!  We had a baby bath - I don't the brand as it was a hand me down from a friend, but we stopped using it at 6 months and started just plopping him in the tub!
  • Options
    @zuuls_mom that's what I thought, but it's not showing up. Oh well.
  • Options
    We have the standard plastic tub with newborn sling. I think it is First Years brand? It's still in good shape so will be using it again. I personally found the thermometers to be a waste. I only used one for a month or two with DS and never again. We had the Skip Hop Moby spout cover which I need to replace and I also want the Moby rinse cup this time around. 

Mom Tip! IF you can get your hands on a new, clean sitz bottle while in the hospital, take it. It is the perfect size for spraying down and rinsing newborn heads.
  • Options
    We used the first years tub too, and it worked well until DS outgrew it. We kept it and will use it again. We have the skip hop moby spout cover for the bath, and some bath toys. I really prefer toys that are one solid piece so I don't have to worry about water sitting in them and mold, but someone gave DS a rubber ducky and of course that is now his favorite bath toy because it squirts. We never used a thermometer, I just tested the water with my elbow first (lol, but my hands are less sensitive to temps) and that was OK for us.
    @mommyshark13 it never occurred to me to use a peri bottle for that, but that's a great idea!
  • Options
    @ternsetc It was suggested to me when I was a FTM and it totally worked!
  • Options
    septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited March 2019
    Love the bath thermometer. We have the skip hop whale one. After a while you learn exactly where the put your faucet to get the perfect temp. 

We used the fisher price 4 in 1 bathtub with our DS. We loved all the different seating positions before our son was old enough to sit up on his own in the bath. https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-4-Sling-Seat-Tub/dp/B00F2MQ0EQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=fisher+price+4+in+1&qid=1553304889&s=gateway&sr=8-1

As as far as soaps and stuff go, I highly recommend checking out the EWG website to see how products are rated in terms of safety. Products that seem so safe are so harsh for our babies. They have an app where you can scan products to see their health ratings. 

And just a little mom hack for newborns... when bathing them lay a warm face cloth over their bellies to help them feel warmer. :)
  • Options
    I have the munchkin clean cradle bath tub as an infant and then once the baby is about 6 months I put them in an inflatable munchkin bathtub. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Id love some towel recommendations. We have the basic hooded ones from carter’s or something similar, and one from Pottery barn kids that I love but I can’t falthom the price for multiple. They are actually 25 percent off right now so maybe I’ll grab a couple but does anyone have recommendations on their favorite bath towels?
  • Options
    I used the Angelcare baby bath for my two and absolutely love it! You use it in a normal bath (so great for double bathing with big sis/bro & I put a 3M command hook on my bathtub wall to hang it to dry after using. It also doubles as a great seat to tote around the house and stick the baby in..just line it with a blanket & seriously, it’s like a little lightweight nest. :)

For soaps, I agree with @septoctkids with EWG. I use Dr Bronner’s baby Castile soap for head to toe. Actually a lot of times I don’t use soap except on crevices...everywhere else I use a Norwex microfiber baby washcloth and wipe down their bodies with just that.

Once they get bigger but not yet able to sit up on their own, I use the big blowup ducky tub and throw it in our tub so when they tip over, it would be padded 😆 it’s cheap and they only use that for a couple months.

• Options
    We have the Fisher price 4 in 1 tub that @septoctkids mentioned. I liked it a lot, worked well! It comes with a little squirt water thing much like the peri bottle. We don’t have a thermometer - just did the elbow trick that @ternsetc mentioned. Works great! 

@septoctkids We just bought some hooded ones from Amazon. I’m gonna get a couple more for baby 2.0.
  • Options
    Thx @lillywonderland! Loving that price tag a lot more than the pbk ones haha. I’ll order a couple! 
  • Options
    @septoctkids We used towels from Target.
  • Options
    We actually had nothing extra at the baby stage. We washed with water either in the sink or with one of us in tub. I did like having a little robe. For the toddler age we need a sprayer and some pour toys to get him in. 
  • Options
    We had the baby tub seat that @monkeysmom80 has. It's great for small bathrooms because it folds up nice and small, and dries very quick. I also bought this tub toy and it's pretty awesome. Spendy, but well worth it. I actually wish I would've gotten the bigger one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R5TJ8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1