April 2019 Moms

Group B strep

So I just tested positive for it.  Didn’t have it with my last, and I’m not sure what to think.  My midwife thinks my labor might be too fast for antibiotics but you never know.   My first one was quick.  Sub 4 hrs.

Anyone with experience with it? Advise? Knowledge or resources please send my way.

Re: Group B strep

• I had antibiotics during a 7 hr labor. It was unremarkable, especially since I already had continuous fetal monitoring.
  • No personal experience, but here’s a very thorough discussion of Group B strep https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/

Overall, it sounds like the probability of something bad happening to your baby due to GBS are very low, it’s just that those complications are dangerous, so current medical practices are to do the best that is possible to avoid it even being relevant.

Also, it sounds like if you want to be able to “do something” to make your odds even better, you could try taking some Lactobacillus probiotics every day from here on out and it might help. Personally, I’d go this route and generally try not to think too much more about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was positive with my first and had a long labor so there was plenty of time for IV antibiotics. Even in positive women the likelihood of baby contracting an infection is minimal (it’s just that in the rare case that they do get it it can be very bad). Still even babies who get it when parents and care givers are watching for the signs of infection and it’s caught early they are usually effectively treated and recover well. 

Additionaly if your membranes stay intact longer longer there is even less risk. 

If if you are concerned, I would use some home remedies to help with your risk: daily garlic orally (2 cloves or more), apple cider vinegar 2 tablespoons in water orally, work up to large doses of a very high quality probiotic like garden of life. And ask to be retested 2-3wks later to put your self at ease that you have reduced the amount of beta strep in your system. You will probably still be recommend to have antibiotics but if your LO comes fast you will have significantly reduced the risk!!! Keep doing all the things until your LOs birth. (Can also search how to test negative for group b - just remember you have to keep doing it all the way thru delivery). 

I am doing this myself because I want to test negative and stay negative thru my delivery. My first and I had some side effects from the antibiotics that I would like to avoid this time if possible. 

All the best! 
  • I had it with my first. They gave me IV antibiotics and it was fine - no big deal at all. Usually if you test positive for group B strep they just ask you to come to the hospital earlier in your labor so that there will be time to administer the IV, instead of waiting until you're near the end of labor to go in. If you do that, it seems like there should probably be enough time? I mean, an under 4 hour labor is crazy short, but hypothetically if you go in as soon as labor starts it seems like there would probably be time to administer a round of antibiotics. 
  • KaterieeKateriee member
    edited March 2019
    I was positive for my first and had her within three hours from arriving at the hospital. We had to stay an extra night for observation, but she was and is fine. She will be two in may.

Edited to add that they did hook me up with iv antibiotics, but it wasn't the minimum four hours they wanted.
  • I tested positive this time as well. Its a bummer because it is one more thing to worry about but I am trying to not think about it too much. 
  • @mesweettea I'll have to look into Lactobacillus probiotics.  Thanks for the heads up. ;)

@saraleigh2 I'll scare the vampires away with that garlic but it's worth a shot.  I'll also try the apple cider vinegar. 

@Kateriee It's reassuring to know all went well with your little one! 

I know the percentages are very low but it's still a little scary.  Also, I'm planning a home birth so I have a lot more flexibility.

Thanks ladies for the positive outlooks!  

• I just had my q-tip test yesterday. If I'm positive, my midwife is going to do some research as to what other antibiotic besides penicillin can help. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to penicillin, but I do know I'm allergic to something similar (group of antibiotics called cephalosporins). So obviously my case is different, but if I'm positive I'll definitely be taking some of these tips from you ladies!
  • @rennie1108 I’m allergic to penicillins and cephalosporins. I think they gave me bactrim, or something similar if I remember correctly?
  • @professormama good to know, thanks!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    *lurking* I was positive and had LO within two hours of arriving at the hospital.  I think they managed to get one round of antibiotics in me.  As a PP mentioned they kept us an extra night and monitored LO closely with exams and temperature checks.  Dr knew my labor would be fast and told me not to worry.  She said “the risk is so minimal they don’t even test for it in the UK”. 
  • @KFrob Thanks for the reassurance! :)