July 2019 Moms
Options

Shoes! (The comfortable kind)

tsa208tsa208 member
edited March 2019 in July 2019 Moms
Okay ladies, for those who don't know, it is very common for your feet to grow a size or two during pregnancy, due to the relaxin hormone (they often go back to your old size, but they often don't). They also start to swell quite a bit.

Anybody have any good, comfy shoes they love and would recommend? STMs+, anything that really worked for you last time? 

At least we will all be our biggest during summer, so sandals will allow our feet to expand a bit!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Shoes! (The comfortable kind)

• Options
    My feet never really spread but I definitely needed comfort, esp with babywearing for 2.5 years.

I <3 Toms the most for comfy, lightweight casual shoes that I can throw on with anything (wearing a pair now).

Bass was great for ankle booties, they had the most comfortable footbed that was wider than some.

And a good pair of low wooden clogs -- they are great for warm dry and warm wet weather, and roomy enough that they shouldn't constrict your feet if they spread a bit. 

For sandals.. I'd go with a flat cork sole that molds to your feet for support and comfort. Berks are great but $$, I found some cute flat cork sandals at Target a few years ago that I live in every summer.
  • Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    edited March 2019
    @mamanbebe Berks provide good support? I was always worried my feet would hurt in them like they do in a lot of flat sandals. Maybe I will give them a try. I'm moving to a super liberal college town soon; it will make me fit right in ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just got some Toms for my birthday, so I need to break those in a little... I had a Winter baby with DD, so I wore Uggs for the most part... but I assume I’ll be mostly in easy slip ons (I have a pair from Roxy which I love!) or flip flops (probably going to invest in a nice comfy pair). 
  • Options
    I have a pair of Chuck Taylor shorlines that are SO comfortable, and I love you can slide them on.  For really warm weather, I have some sperry flip flops that are really comfy and supportive. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    Sabah!!! They are the best shoes ever, and I get at least 3 compliments on them per week from random strangers. At fist they aren't very comfortable, because you have to break them in. But after about two days, they are the most comfortable shoes on the planet. AND they are super cute - look great in both professional environments and with casual wear.

They are expensive, but they last for years (aside from getting them re-soled). I've had mine a year and they look brand new. What's also cool is they are handmade in Turkey and you get a little card with a picture/bio of the person who made them. :) I just love that!

Sorry... I swear I don't work for them. These shoes are just about my favorite thing I own, and I'm really passionate about them. haha

https://shop.sabah.am/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz92rrZH94AIVCbXACh2KPgB-EAAYASAAEgKvS_D_BwE
  • Options
    @tsa208 I LIVE in my birks every summer. I bought them because my feet hurt so bad on a trip to Paris a few years ago and it was the only place that had shoes big enough for me. 

This is my confession. This is the one thing I am terrified of the MOST about pregnancy. That my feet will get bigger and stay that way. I'm already a size 11 and just barely. I CANNOT have my feet get any bigger. There won't be any shoes for me! 

I absolutely love Cobb Hill shoes. I have these really cute T-straps that are my go-to work shoe. They are so comfy with a nice block heel, great support inside, supple leather for no blisters, a little breathing room, and they are cute as heck. I have worn them all day to Disneyland a couple of times. That is how comfy they are. They rival my tennis shoes. 
    I also have the Skechers Flex Lightweight shoes. Those are my other theme park shoes. They have the super soft memory foam bottoms but still enough support. They are comfy and simple. 
    Those are my 3 most go-to shoes. My Cobb Hill, Skechers, and Birks. I cannot WAIT for summer to be able to wear flip flops or my Birks. I am hating having to tie my shoes right now. And I know that is just going to get worse. 
  • Options
    @mamanbebe those target knock off birks are my favorite!!! 
    I've been wearing my ugg hard sole slippers as shoes most days lol. Can't wait to switch to sandals soon! I also have a pair of sperry's that I'll be wearing a lot as soon as it's warm enough. Not the traditional boat shoes but more of a slip on sneaker style. They are really comfy and easy to put on!
  • Options
    ROTHYS. I love them. I don't really go up two shoes sizes (expect for right after delivery and NOTHING fit), and I think my Rothys will be stretchy enough to accommodate my feet this summer. The plastic is actually super comfortable due to the weave, and because you can wash them, they are good at keeping their shape, not smelling funky, etc.

https://share.rothys.com/x/nq1MDE

But for summer time, for an open-toed look, I went with something like these last time. It was Rockport brand, expect the middle of the gladiator was tie-up so I could loosen the shoe if my feet swelled a little. These were great because of the zip in the back, I could get them on myself while pregnant.

https://www.rockport.com/rockport/cobb-hill-abbott-gladiator-sandal/chabbottgladiator.html?dwvar_chabbottgladiator_color=chabbottgladiator_black&cgid=
  • Options
    @hakele Former size 10.5, current size 11 (thanks first pregnancy!) here. I totally get it lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    key33key33 member
    edited March 2019
    I have a pair of the Bobs/Sketchers sneakers and they are super comfy. I'll probably be wearing those until I can wear Sandals. Otherwise I've been wearing different pairs of boots all winter. 

I've  been the same size through both pregnancies and have never not been able to wear my regular shoes. 
  • Options
    I'm in Uggs now and I'll be in Sketchers when the snow finally disappears. I don't like wearing sandals while baby wearing as I constantly worry I'm going to trip over my toes (I trip more than any normal person should). The Sketchers are awesome as they slip on and off easily, are made of mesh so they dry easily if they get wet, and they're machine washable. Plus they're not super expensive so I don't care about them getting ruined.
  • Options
    hakele said:
    @tsa208 I LIVE in my birks every summer. 
    Of course you do! Aren't they part of the CO uniform?  ;)
  • Options
    mamanbebemamanbebe member
    edited March 2019
    @tsa208 Birks have great support! They take a couple of weeks to break them in but after that they are molded to your feet and you won't want to take them off :) I personally think the classic with the 2 straps are more comfortable than the thong style, @hakele what kind do you have? 

@ccmama3 You seriously cannot beat the price/style/comfort combo :) I just bought more of a certain style I love from a few years back via someone on Poshmark because I loved them so much. 
  • Options
    Fitops. They are hideous but comfy as fuck! The male flip flops and flats!
  • Options
    @Cbeanz I don’t know if I should be offended... I actually don’t know many who wear them. And I bought mine in PARIS. So I think that makes them cool, right?? :D Maybe a Boulder uniform, though. And I live two whole counties away... but my baby will be born in that county! Haha. 

@mamanbebe
    i have these but I think a different color. I wanted the ankle strap because if you don’t have an ankle strap, they make you take them off on some theme park rides.  

• Options
    @hakele My friends from Denver all wear them. I honestly didn't understand that could be considered offensive - sorry if it was!
  • Options
    @Cbeanz I was just joking back! Saying, surely I’m not like these hippies! *goes to turn on the oil diffuser* 
  • Options
    Not stylish but comfortable AF. Croc flip flops. They are thicker and and a bit more supportive than regular flip flops. I've worn them with my last 4 babies. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options

+1 for Birks... I wear mine all summer long. Also +1 for Toms. My slip on Toms are so comfy.

I am also size 11 ... so my feet CANNOT grow anymore haha. I feel ya @hakale

Currently I'm rocking my Mukluks out and about (will winter EVER end?!) and at work I have some flats and little booties I switch to.

• Options
    Alright, just ordered my first pair of Birks, the Yara - they are pretty cute and have the same Birk sole as all of the shoes. I'm heading to Europe in a month, so I will have these broken in by then. My feet thank you all!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wear Tieks and Rothy's and flip flops, mostly. Need to find a good supportive summer shoe, have a feeling the first two will be too tight/sweaty as we get into summer but I might need more support than just a flip flop. May look at Birks...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @canuckmomma - seriously I will lose my shit. It will NOT be ok if my feet get bigger. Also, we are having a blizzard. I’m so over winter. 

@nopegoat - I also have lots of Crocs, but they are like the flats and jelly shoes. I love the bright colors! 
  • Options
    😫 size 12 feet - and I have been size 12 since I WAS 12. I will say ladies with bigger feet mine did not grow at all with my boys. One winter, one summer baby. 

Cheap flops all the way for - mainly because I've never been able to afford pricey shoes. I love me some payless, don't get me started on the closure.

I will be rocking Walmart sandals as soon as summer gets here, as well as some new sneakers because dogs keep chewing mine up. I may gift myself cheap slip on sneakers so I am not trying to bend over and tie shoes.
  • Options
    @indulgentgypsy I saw some cute slip on sneakers at walmart last week! I love when old navy has their $1 flip flop sale... that's what I always do for cheap flip flops!
  • Options
    @hakele @indulgentgypsy ... I've been an 11 since I was 16. With my first pregnancy i don't think my feet grew but i did swell up like a balloon. I had one pair of comfy Nike flip flops I could wear by the last month (August). 

@hakele UGH I heard about the blizzard coming to the states just south of us! I think we are getting the very tail end of it and expecting 2-4 inches tonight/tomorrow. I think we've been hit hard enough! 
  • Options
    @canuckmomma I’ve been an 11 since then, too. The one thing that comes in handy is the clearance section at Nordstrom Rack usually has good selection. I got a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo Classic Bow pumps in Patent Purple once for $112! Originally they were over $500! 

• Options
    Plus tone for birks! I have the slip on style with no ankle strap. 
    I also found Vionics to be great for lots of walking- they were my Disney shoes last time. 
    And toms. Gotta love em. 
  • Options
    Toms wearers, how do they run? True to size?
  • Options
    @greeneyedgirl12 I think they are a little more snug. 
  • Options
    +1 to my feet not growing during pregnancy. I'm a 9/10 and my shoes were always no issue. I will say though that after my CS I was SO SO SWOLLEN that I could barely get anything on my feet. I'm glad I'll be able to leave in sandals this time since forcing my hooves into winter boots last time was...not fun. And I was ready 5 days out from surgery when I went home.
  • Options
    @greeneyedgirl12 I usually wear my true size. You might check their site for size recommendations on the product pages. There was a time where certain styles ran big and small but they always noted that online and I didn’t have issues with fit. 
  • Options
    @Panaceia yes!! I didn't have a csection but my feet were sooo swollen after delivery for probably close to a week. My feet didn't swell during pregnancy at all with my second but the swelling after was definitely not comfortable. 
  • Options
    I plan on wearing my Sanuks all summer. They're comfortable and they've always been supportive for me. I wore them all throughout an India trip two years ago without any problem.

Sanuk Womens Yoga Sling 2 Flip FlopBlack8 M US

• Options
    For those whose feet grew, when did it happen?  I'm wondering if mine haven't changed yet, am I out of the woods, or could it still happen...?
  • Options
    My feet didn’t grow, but they swelled really badly around 26 weeks with my first. Hoping to escape severe swelling with this one!!
  • Options
    @greeneyedgirl12 I think I usually go up a half? There are some fabrics that are also a little more stiff- I strongly prefer the classic canvas.
  • Options
    @hakele @erynpdx @mamanbebe Thanks. Sadly, I waited too long and the ones I wanted are out in my size... Going to hope they restock, but they were sale, so not optimistic.
  • Options
    @greeneyedgirl12 Oh no! You might check around the internet, lots of stores carry Toms. You can also find new ones on Ebay and Poshmark of sold out styles, I've rebought my faves twice through those avenues.