Pregnant after IF
Options

Anyone PAIF with heavy bleeding during early pregnancy?

Hope it's ok I start a thread here - looking for some support after a scary few weeks of unexplained heavy bleeding on and off.

I am 10 weeks today after a very long journey *TW* including a 7 week loss in September *TW*. Still too superstitious to start a first trimester thread but I hope to join the second tri thread in a few weeks! I have been having episodes of heavy bleeding, I have been assuming it's a SCH based on everything I have read but every scan I have, they can't find anything.  I have had 4 scans now, including one today, and every time baby is measuring on track with a strong heartbeat and wiggling around, seemingly unaware. I have heard bleeding is more common in IVF pregnancies, hoping someone has experience with this and can provide me with any type of insight. Doctor's keep saying it can just be unexplained - I would not be so nervous if it were just spotting, these episodes are quite severe and giving me so much anxiety. 

Re: Anyone PAIF with heavy bleeding during early pregnancy?

• Options
    @leilee101
    Number 1 - congrats!! I remember when you had the m/c and I was so devastated for you. So happy to see things are going properly so far!

I do believe we have some ladies who have had episodes of excessive bleeding but I think they all had dx'd SCH's. Hopefully there is someone who can offer you some insight.

Bleeding is much more common in IVF pregnancies, especially if you're taking baby aspirin. I had spotting throughout my first trimester - red, pink, brown - but I have no experience with heavy bleeding. Is it all bright red fresh blood? Are you doing suppositories at all?  Are you active or are you taking it easy? How often are the episodes of bleeding?

Could it be possible you have placenta previa - placenta over the cervix? That can cause episodes of bleeding. Not sure how early they can detect that on u/s.  If that is the case, it will usually resolve on its own as the placenta moves into place as everything progresses -- at the worst, you might need a scheduled c-section. I think we have at least one lady on the board with placenta previa. 

Hopefully it will clear up soon -- my last day of blood in my pregnancy was at my 12 week appt with my OB.

~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    @mbradfo2 Thank you! I am very cautiously optimistic. If there is any silver lining in all this, it's that I have been getting weekly ultrasounds and get to see my little gummy bear more than I otherwise would. 

I am not on baby aspirin, still on PIO but only for one more week (was supposed to stop today but requested an extra week due to bleeds). The big bleeds have been fresh, red blood - usually lasts a couple hours (with the exception of last night, it was like 12 hours of bleeding) and then stops and tapers off to brown spotting for a few days. I had one at 8+2, 9+1 and then last night at 9+6. I have been taking it very easy since the first bleed, other than coming into work (not a physical job), I basically lay around. I have even been taking the elevator everywhere!

Since this started right when the placenta is started to form, so it might be placenta previa? My doctor said it still might even be a SCH that's very small (although not sure how it could be with all the bleeding), maybe like right next to the cervix so an easy exit for all the blood. She also said often times these things are just unexplained and generally resolve by the second trimester.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cashewchickencashewchicken member
    edited March 2019
    I experienced heavy bleeding at 14 weeks. Woke up with a gush of fluid, rushed immediately to the bathroom and the toilet bowl was full of blood. When I wiped, it was black blood (didn’t realize the significance of this at the time). Thinking I was losing the baby, I immediately rushed to my hospital. There they did an ultrasound, and asked what the color of the blood was. They also asked to see the pad to see if it was soaked.  I showed them the pad which showed some spotting but not soaked as the bleeding has subsided by then. I remembered that the blood looked black-ish. Turns out I had SCH and I was bleeding out some old blood. They told me to just go home and take it easy but I didn’t need to bedrest. I spotted again from 16 weeks through 18 weeks though that was light and just brown in color. 

Well, beside those bleeding episodes, my pregnancy progressed just fine. I delivered a baby boy at 38 weeks and 2 days.

its a good thing that you’re closely monitored. Hope bleeding stops soon and that you get to enjoy your pregnancy. What I was told is, as long as the blood is not fresh blood (bright red) and soaks the pad, you don’t have to freak out. It’s so hard not to though. 

Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Options
    @cashewchicken thank you so much for sharing your experience. Every heavy bleeding episode is exactly like you describe.. bright red blood that filled the toilet bowl/saturates a pad, then tapers off to brown/black spotting sometimes with a couple small clots. It’s happened 3 times now. When I’m having the active red bleeding I put myself on bed rest, then when it’s brown I have just been taking it super easy.

If this keeps happening I might talk to my doctor about going on an anti anxiety med that is safe during pregnancy because man is this sh*t stressing me out!
  • Options
    Hi @leilee101, sorry your dealing with spotting after your earlier loss. I dealt with this as well but did have a diagnosed SCH. 

It does sound like like an SCH but weird they haven’t found it on the monitors. I had major blood loss at 7 and 12 weeks. Bright red blood filling toilet and passing several dark red clots. First time, spotting subsided within a few days. Second time, it lasted daily from 12-18 weeks, but only needed panty liners. Then spotting just stopped and no more SCH detected at scans. 

I think the healthy scans are reassuring but seeing blood every time you wipe is not. I’m hoping it subsides but my SIL said she had spotting through 20w. It’s really a mind fuck and we still didn’t feel good even after the 20 week scan. It wasn’t until I started feeling consistent movement at about 22w that I felt like we might actually get a THB. It’s totally okay to be worried and I encourage yiu to continue to be your own best advocate in terms of additional scans and continuing PIO. I didn’t feel strong enough to get a Doppler but it might help you alleviate worry to be able to check the baby’s HR if you’ve had a significant bleed. 

Were rooting for you and hope you’ll be joining 2nd tri soon!!
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• Options
    @northbeach3 thank you so much for chiming in. I’m so sorry you had to deal with such a scary event as well, but so glad that everything has turned out ok. That really seams to be the trend for this so that gives me hope. 

My OB is willing to let me come in for scans as often as I want, and my RE said I could continue PIO through 12 weeks if it made me feel better. My husband brought a Doppler home the other night so once baby is a little bigger that will help, too. I can’t wait fo get reassurance from kicks.. I can’t believe you are already about to cross over to the 3rd tri!
  • Options
    @leilee101 I hope everything’s ok!
    Pregnancy TickerAbout me: *TW*

Me: 34, DH: 38                                                                                                                                                                                
    TTC #1 June of 2014  9/14 BFP, baby boy EDD 5/18/15. Elias (Eli) born 5/13/15 7lb0oz, 19 inches.                                      
    Surprise BFP 10/15, live ectopic, lost ruptured tube on 11/5/15 at 8 weeks                                                                              
    Started TTC #2 2/16                                                                                                                                                                   
    HSG 1/18 after no BFPs- diagnosed w/ tubal infertility and referred to RE                                                                     
    3/28/18 remaining tube removed                                                                                                                                              
    IVF 5/18: 15 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 8 blasts -- (3) 4aa, (2) 5aa (2) 4ba frozen -- fresh transfer of 1 day-5 4aa blast, BFP, EDD 2/4/19

• Options
    I was diagnosed with an SCH.  Had bleeding at 14 weeks- big gush and clots and then it stopped. They think maybe the sch draining but didn’t really know.   I am now almost 31 weeks and just had a gush bleeding with clots yesterday- spent the day and night in the hospital and couldn’t find where blood is coming from- they predict probably from behind the placenta but no proof.  

Good luck with your pregnancy!!
  • Options
    I had 2 bleeding scares during my pregnancy (7 weeks and 15 weeks). 7 weeks was more like spotting and 15 weeks was heavy bleeding. It turned out I had placenta previa and the baby was kicking it, making me bleed. It was scary, but luckily turned out OK in the end. I'm hoping everything turns out well for you as well! 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Options
    Thanks so much for sharing all your stories, it def helps. I had another bleed overnight so I have been laying all day and have an appt this afternoon for exam and ultrasound. I am going to ask them again to look HARD for SCH, also ask about placenta. I’m also going to have them check for polyps during the exam. 

Doesnt help that I’m supposed to stop PIO tomorrow! Feels like my security blanket .. my very sharp security blanket 
  • Options
    @leilee101 So glad they were able to see it! Hopefully, it helped calm your nerves knowing what it was / is and that baby is looking good :)
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    i know it's weird to cheer an SCH, but i found it much more reassuring to have a source for the blood.  i don't remember the size of mine, but if yours is "moderate" then i'd expect more spotting for a bit.  my second gush was at 12 weeks and had daily light spotting until about 18 weeks.  but then it just disappeared!

you're almost out of the woods! babe is doing his or her thing! we're rooting for you.
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• Options
    @northbeach3 yes my doctor said expect more bleeding, and not to be surprised if a "golf ball size clot" comes out. ummm ok. And yes I am relieved to have an explanation, just hoping for it to go away now. Thanks again for sharing, it makes it so much easier to know how many people have dealt with this nonsense and are having perfectly otherwise healthy pregnancies 
  • Options
    @leilee101 It’s unfortunate that you have SCH, but I’m glad that now you know where all the bleeding comes from. I totally understand your frustration, I was so upset that I had to deal with the bleeding scare on top of infertility. Hopefully your SCH will resolve soon and that you get to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Options
    Hello and first @leilee101 congrats! I just wanted to echo @mbradfo2 and ask if they found placenta previa? I had a heavy bleed scare around week 14 -toilet filled with blood- and they diagnosed SCH and complete centralized placenta previa. No bleeds after that until a couple days ago. I’m now 27w5d and in hospital 4 days due to a previa related bleed. I am so sorry about what you’re experiencing as it is hard especially when you’ve worked so hard to get to this point! I’ll be thinking of you!
  • Options
    bkatpbkatp member
    @leilee101 one of our SEP fet groupmate also has unexplained bleeding and later was diagnosed with such at around 11 weeks. Hope everything works out fine for you as well.
  • Options
    @Momifbysea that's so scary...I hope everything has resolved and baby is ok! They did not say much about my placenta, just said they would see a pooling of blood in the uterus. They did note that it looked like old blood (not sure how they can tell?). I have another ultrasound scheduled for this Monday so hopefully they can give me more details, I'm honestly just glad they found some type of explanation because I felt like I was going crazy.

@bkatp Thank you <3!
  • Options
    @leilee101 - hope everything looks good on your u/s today!

Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @leilee101
    Sounds like everything is going smoothly and your bouncing bean is happy :smile:
    <3<3
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."