August 2019 Moms
Options

UO Thursday!

lilmamabebe3lilmamabebe3 member
edited March 2019 in August 2019 Moms
I'm obviously back, getting my threads up on time and ready to hear it!

Re: UO Thursday!

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    I don't care when people double dip (provided they're not sick). 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @heml Yesss! Green bananas!
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    Allycat11Allycat11 member
    edited March 2019
    @mkrel Agreed that it is no big deal to kiss your kids on the lips. 

@sourlemon I have no idea what that age is either. DD (6) regularly barges in on me while I am changing and is not fazed in the slightest about it. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    I love this thread!

@ElcaB I don't care if friends or family double dip, but grossed out if strangers do it. Also, cross contamination could be an issue for me due to allergies. (Someone ate peanuts, put a chip in their mouth then back into the dip, I eat the dip and die).

@heml bananas should be fully yellow, having just finished turning from Green (maybe a bit of green at the stem) haha fully green bananas are too hard and bitter. Brown bananas are too mushy and sweet.

@Allycat11 who brings their pets to non-pet stores?!  Weirdos. I don't think I've ever seen a non-service dog in a store. (Other than pet store). Well...and the (privately owned) Scuba store because their dog lives there, so we brought ours (at the owners invitation)  to play while doing our exams haha.

@peachy0709 we used to have sleepovers with our brother and male cousins...or build forts and all siblings would spend the night there together. So yea..I don't see what the big deal is. Though sharing a room sucks. I shared a room with my sister growing up. I'm surprised we didn't murder each other. We are besties since we got our own bedrooms.

Ooo! I have one!
    Chocolate flavoured things are gross! Chocolate is delicious, but fake chocolate flavour (chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup etc) is yuck!
  • Options
    @chillycanadian taking pets in stores here is insanely common, mostly in the summer but year round too. Yesterday I was shopping at a kids clothing boutique store and some woman was holding her smelly little ankle biter in her arms. The dog kept whining and barking and she was saying, "Oh, sweet baby just wants to get down and run."  Yes it does, because it is a fricken dog and does not want to be carried around while you shop. And no one else wants to listen to or smell your dog. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    @peachy0709 Agreed. I think my little brother and sister (3 year gap) shared a room until he was about 10 and she was 7. We also had co-ed friend sleepovers until around then. I figure if they aren't asking body questions or starting to notice those changes, who cares? 
  • Options
    @Allycat11 that's crazy! What's wrong with people? I also don't understand why people carry their pets in their purse.... Or go for a "walk" with their dog, but carry it the whole way. Or even worse, put it in a stroller. Ummm...doesnt that totally defeat the purpose of the WALK?

@WinchesterGirl oh my gosh 100%! I had an ex whose family would literally fill the sink with soapy water, wash all the plates cutlerty etc, and THEN put it in the dishwasher to run. WHAT?!?!?! (I mean, they were all completely crazy in a bunch of other ways too...but still)

@oklahomak that's so rough. I feel like the last thing you want after L&D is a crowd of people to entertain! I think we will only invite parents and siblings to meet baby at hospital. Everyone else can come once we are settled at home.
  • Options
    Also another UO... I don't care for Disney World. We spent less on our 10- or 11-day international vacations than we did on a 6-day trip to Disney and experienced so much more culture and spent zero time waiting in lines or buying over-priced packaged foods. I think the magic is just lost on me, lol.
  • Options
    @olivemomma - WHO decided lime Skittles were bad? They were my second favorite flavor!!

@peachy0709 - It wasn't *that* long ago that houses only had one or two bedrooms and ALL siblings shared. I don't see what the big deal is AT ALL. DH grew up very low income and they had two other bedrooms in their double-wide that the 3 kids rotated between (B-G-B with two years in-between each), depending on the age. DH & sister shared a room until like 11 & 9 and then she had to share with her younger brother for a few years, until there wasn't such a "big" gap between the oldest & youngest boy to then share until DH graduated.

@mkrel - I love the sweet kisses DD1 gives me and I'll stab anyone who thinks it's weird. If and when she begins to feel differently about it, then we'll switch, but I have zero issues with it whatsoever. DH is a little weirded out by it, but - IMO - that's a hang-up that he can deal with on his own.

I'm sure this has been said plenty, but my UO is that screen time isn't as "damaging" as everyone says if it's managed somewhat. Kids shows are so different than they were 30-50 years ago, DD1 knows all sorts of things I would never expect of a 2.5 y.o. and also knows (and uses) 7-10 words in Spanish, thanks to Dora ... but she can also sing the entire SpongeBob theme song. It's all about balance. And - TBH - mommy sometimes needs a break when trying to clean the house, get dinner cooked, finish the laundry, and/or shovel her cold ass meal in her mouth at a restaurant when everyone else has already finished eating.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @Allycat11 @chillycanadian I worked in retail in college and you would not believe some of the pets people would bring in to the store. (in a mall). Of course there were dogs, but there was a snake, a monkey and a RAT. A woman had a rat on her shoulder. Luckily mall security was pretty quick to get the people out. 

@olivemomma I miss the lime skittles, but I will take the green apple over the lemon. gross.
    also banana flavored candy is nasty...looking at you banana runts. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    I’m fine with dogs out in public as well as they are well behaved and using the 4 legs that God gave them. Dogs carried around in bags and purses bug the crap out of me.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @peachy0709 I don't understand it either, my B/G twins share a room and soon number 3 will go in with them. (we do have a 4th bedroom but its in the basement and they are still to young to navigate the stairs/gate all by themselves. I figure they will share until they express a desire to be apart. 

@sourlemon I was thinking about this the other day. Our kids shower with us regularly and I don't think the bathroom door is ever closed (as long as guests aren't over) I guess we will just see how things go...

UO: I think we need to emphasize civics more in school. Its amazing how many people can not list the 3 sections of government, don't know how our government works.... We need to be better stewards of our country/future.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    Keeping it going on Friday (I know that's a peeve for some) ...

UO: Disney is overrated. Not the magic and the fabulous experience, but - holy f@ck - the costs are exorbitant and unfair to so many who have to sit on the sidelines because their families can afford it.
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @MamaK225 agreed. I really think that Disney should be accessible to everyone. I’m not saying at peek times of the year they shouldn’t charge good money because there will always be families willing to pay, but they should have a month a year or a week each month that’s devoted to families living at or below a certain income. I’m sure they would be insanely busy but at least it would be accessible - even if it was only in reduced admission pricing as families could always stay off of Disney property. But man, I couldn’t imagine that a week long family trip could cost some families over 10% (or even more) of their yearly takehome pay and they could have to save for years and years to give their kids that experience. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @olivemomma - I completely agree. I had read a blog post about a one-income family and how they tried to visit "affordably" and it was still almost $900/day for a family of 4 (and they brought/made their own snacks and lunches!). I can't imagine if there are 3 or 4 kids, etc. I know they need to make money, but - wow - it just seems like it's such a tough decision for so many: spend $5,000 on a single vacation or put that into the kids' 529 funds or go on 2 or 3 other vacations, etc. As I said, it's a magical place and I absolutely love it ... but it also breaks my heart for so many who can't/will never visit.
    **History in Spoiler**

• Options
    I don’t really have an UO that I can think of except that I’m on the opposite side of most of them today

@heml no green can be on the peel for me to eat it. All yellow with maybe a teeny bit of brown is okay. 

@olivemomma I don’t like skittles.  Plus they give me canker sores 

@peachy0709 I think sharing a room is fine up until bodies start to change. 

@WinchesterGirl H and I argue about this. I’m on team rinse the plates first.  I don’t necessarily need to wash with soap, but I want everything off the plate before it goes in the dishwasher.  H just puts them right in the dishwasher 

@Allycat11 I have a yorkie that was supposed to be a purse puppy (like 6 pounds) but is actually 11.  I totally wanted to be able to carry her around in a little puppy purse but she is too big. As long as the dog isn’t in the produce section of the store, I’m fine with it

@sourlemon I don’t think it’s okay for kids of the opposite to see you naked when they’re able to tell the difference.  I’m completely modest though. 

@oklahomak Disney is amazing!  We are big Disney addicted.  I used to work there (H still does), we got engaged there, married there, and I’ve been to every Disney park in the world at least once.  I do agree with @MamaK225 that I think it’s too expensive for most families but we’re lucky that it’s a regular part of our life. 

• Options
    Sorry to jump in late but I NEED to stand up for @heml and her correct banana opinion: team green or straight to banana muffins. 
  • Options
    hemlheml member
    THANK YOU @cato99:) 
  • Options
    Lol @heml and @cato99. I also prefer green/slightly underripe bananas, but will eat a ripe banana if that’s my only option. My husband thinks it’s so weird and kind of gross