September 2019 Moms
Options

Throwing up when brushing teeth

Anyone else struggling with this? I throw up everytime I brush my teeth in the morning (if I'm not working that day I'll wait until noon to brush my teeth to avoid vomiting). And I throw up about 50% of the time at night when brushing. So frustrating! I'm 11 weeks and have lost 4lbs. But I was overweight to begin with. 5'9" and 180lbs.

Re: Throwing up when brushing teeth

• Options
    septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited February 2019
    Omg, yes! It’s horrible! I don’t always throw up but always gagging. Such a simple daily task is now something I dread. Someone told me to try “smiling” the whole time while brushing. I guess it’s supposed to help stop the gag reflex. It’s been working a little bit. 

Feel free to post questions like this to the big question thread. Makes it easier to keep things organized. 
  • Options
    Ugh, I always gag now when brushing. I can't do mint toothpaste either, I think it just tastes so nasty.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes. It's horrible.  I threw up twice Friday just trying to brush 
  • Options
    I'm happy to hear I'm not alone! I'm 12w4d and still threw up this morning (before brushing). I'm ready for the 2nd trimester!
  • Options
    Yep every pregnancy brushing my teeth has made me gag or feel sick.. 
  • Options
    I am 19wks now and still gag and throw up almost everytime I brush. If I start to gag I have to let it run its course. So gross and frustrating. Happened during my first pregnancy as well. 
  • Options
    Almost 20 weeks and yup, still puking. I talked with my dentist and she said to try, if able, to drink milk/eat yogurt after puking to minimize the damage to your teeth. She also said it was fine to do a really good mouth rinse in the morning and just wait until later in the day to brush to minimize throwing up.
    Me: 30   DH:31 
    Married 9/2010
    TTC 10/2013
    RE Help from 10/2014-10/2016 (11 failed IUIs, a corrective surgery, and a donor embryo cycle)
    9/2016-transferred two donor embies
    BFP 9/29/26 EDD June 11
    BabyGaga BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, still gagging when brushing but at least it is no longer insta-vomit? 
    And mint is still so gross. Why is all toothpaste mint flavored? #firstworldproblems #strugglebus 
    I found cinnamon but it has to be ordered in bulk online. Whoops! Sorry, DH!