July 2019 Moms

TBT: Favourite Names

I'm sure we are all thinking about names these days...so for Throw Back Thursday today, what were your favourite names when you were a kid? What did you name your dolls? Toys? Pets? What did you beg your parents to name your siblings? Let's hear then all!

Re: TBT: Favourite Names

• I was obsessed with the names Sally and Rosie. I begged my mom to name my sister Sally. Oddly enough DD is also obsessed with the name Rosie. All of her dolls have a variation of this name (Rosie, Rosa, Rose). But both of the hamsters I had growing up I named Dolly. Dolly (the original) followed  by Dolly #2.
  • When I was 3 or 4 I had 3 pretend children- their names were Mibow, Sega and Lisa. No idea where I got those from but all my dolls were named that.

When my first sibling came along I wanted my mom to name him Alex after Alex P Keaton of family ties played by Michael J Fox. 

Growing up my cats name was Bailey. Dog was Maverick and then Carter and now Teemu. 

When I was 10 my mom had an early miscarriage (would have been my third sibling) and when she was talking about names one always stuck with me. It’s one of my top 3 girls names today and we just may use it! 
  • Loading the player...
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited February 2019
    Samuel, Patrick, and Nathaniel were all names I loved and used for boys! 

**TW **
    I desperately wanted to use these names for our boys but I have close mom friends that I talk to daily still from my 1st BMBs that had late losses/child losses and it just didn't feel right to use the names. 
    **End TW **

Alexandria, Jocelyn, and Guinevere were my girl names. I tried so hard to get H to agree with these each time we were coming up with girl names always a hard no. 

Pets were Randoms like Pidget and Abog Haha!!! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • My kid was going to be Coutney or Kimberly.  These names are not ones that I considered actually naming my kids when it came down to it.  Nothing wrong with them, but I prefer unique name. I also loved the name Annaleise as I had a babysitter by that name. 
  • I loved looking through my parent's baby names book and writing down names I liked! Most of my baby dolls I would change their names and we had a couple without hair so sometimes they were girls and sometimes they were boys! I liked bible names for my pets (except my turtle Franklin). I had a hamster named Malachi and I named some farm kittens Amos and Obadiah once. I did like the name Ryley for a girl since I was a teenager and that is our oldest's name.
  • I remember loving the names summer and Natalie. And max for a boy. Lol 
    My twin sister and I convinced our mom to name our little sister Elizabeth so we can call her Lizzie from Lizzie McGuire. She did! Lol 
  • Does anyone remember those little toy dolls calls "Quints"?  Mine we Stacy, Lacy, Macy, Tracy, and Casey. I was convinced I would grow up and have 5 girls and name them the same thing....blah! 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • I had three imaginary friends named Martha, Xavier, and Johnny. I wrote a picture book series about a boy named Danny, his best friend Jamie (girl), and eventually their new friend Soh Jin (boy). I also told myself that when I grew up, I wanted to have two daughters named Geena and Tamaraka. :D 
  • @xtinecatherine I feel like if you stuck with those names, your girls would hear a lot of, "Oh, that's my mom's name!" I'm 29 and had a friend in high school named Debbie and it sounded like a "mom name" to us. :p 
  • I came up with the weirdest names as a kid. My doll was Alumbah, and my plushie dog was Humplycoo. Like, really. I once wrote a story about an orphan kid named Zekieluphynae (yes, again, really) and told my mom I loved it and would call my future child Zeke for short... She promised if it can to that, she'd be calling baby her little zucchini. 

So... Yeah... None of my childhood names are being used. I wanted Mathias for M but DH put a hard kabash on that. 
  • I LOVED Preston (Blank Check) and Molly (the American Girl). 
  • @kingdommom I was obsessed with looking through my parents baby name book too!!!

I was obsessed with the names Abigail and Kimberly when I was little. I don't think I'd choose either name now, although Abbie/Abby is still pretty cute/classic! I also loved the name Madison when I was in middle school/high school. I still think it's a nice name, but like other names better now.

It's funny how most of us only had favorite girl names as kids lol! In high school I loved all the "J" names for boys, but my hubby isn't a fan as of right now.
  • @ameliabedelia-2 I still have my quints! I found them last year and DD adopted them as her own. I love that you remember their names!
  • edited February 2019
    @Panaceia, I have mine too! DD plays with them, along with all my old my little ponies. The real ones. Not the weirdo big-eyed ones they have out now with huge heads 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • @ameliabedelia-2 Yes! DD has my My Little Ponies too. I think she likes my sea horses the best.
  • @hestia14 totally.  Maybe even grandma names by this point given that I am 41.  ;););)
  • I don’t really remember having baby dolls, but I do remember having a pink elephant stuffed animal that I called “Ellie”. I had a Coca-Cola bear named “Huggie Bear”. 

Did anyone have Trolls? I found mine recently and it brought back some
    memories! 
  • @jenniferjoy37, yup I had trolls! I got rid of mine, I wish I’d kept them. 
  • So not about me, but a story I tell a lot bc I think it's hilarious. When my brother was between the ages of like 5 - 7ish, he was really into babies and the idea of being a dad. He used to tell people that he wanted to have a son and that his name was going to be "Spike Mailbox Bonehead." 😂😂😂
  • When I was really little, I had a stuffed cat named Toby and I renamed my mom's old doll Bumblebee. 
    For humans, I loved the names Sarah (I think because I saw it as a "normal" name--my name has gotten very popular recently, but it was very uncommon when I was growing up) and Victoria (because it's fancy). In high school I liked hippie names like Summer and Willow and Shiloh.  :D 
  • When my nephew was around 6 he told me that when he grew up he wanted to have a giant baby that he would name Axel because it sounded like A**hole.
  • I was trying really hard to remember all the names I used to use on the Sims. And I can’t remember any of it! Damn you P-brain. 
    Ive been seriously obsessing over this for two days. 
  • Angelina/Angela and Stellina/Stella
  • I had a lot of names ruined by being a teacher...

I loved the names Caitlin (which I found out was almost my name) and Christopher. I named a cat Cassandra Lynn and then was disappointed I couldn't use it for a baby. My great grandmother was Ruby Monroe and I would have used that if it fit with our "initials plan" and I floated the name Imogen Fiona at one point but again, didn't fit the initials.