Toddlers: 24 Months+

3 1/2 year old discipline

My 3 1/2 year old son is pretty well behaved when he is with just my husband or myself. He is also very good at daycare. We have been running into the problem though when we have someone over at our house or are at someone else’s house etc he likes to misbehave. It’s almost like he is showing off to the new people he is around. It happens pretty frequently and he can go from just fine to when we get there or the person gets to our house he starts acting out. Any suggestions on how to handle this or make it stop? 

Re: 3 1/2 year old discipline

• This has been my biggest parenting dilemma thus far. I hate to be the mom that goes to the grocery store with your 2 and 3 year old and they both throw a tantrum so bad you just wish the floor would open up and swallow you. Can anyone relate? So after many traumatic experiences, I decided to educate myself about behavior modification especially in this age group. This is the information that I used and thought was wonderful. https://www.twosavvymoms.com/blog/this-is-parenting. It spoke about the use of both reinforcement and punishment to modify specific behaviors until you either introduce new ones or eliminate terrible ones. Behavioral Analyst that works with children also incorporate these techniques as well. The program that I am also signed up to and started doing is Positive Parenting Solution. Their techniques are really good as well. Their info is found at the bottom of the blog. Also check your local community programs or government programs to see if they are offering any free classes.  I am currently doing a 5 week free training course on toddler behavior with siblings and aggression.