October 2019 Moms
Options

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Options
    Anybody having a lot of gas that is making your nausea worse?  I feel like I burp and hiccup most of the day.  Is there anything harmful in gas-x?  I’ve never taken it before so unsure if it will help.
    Maybe even tums will help if acid reflux is making you nauseous. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I drank some soda so far, but I would be careful about artificial sweeteners, I have no idea the effect of them on fetus, so I just avoid. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Got my blood work back from when I was 6weeks and showed I have hypothyroidism. I have my follow up appointment in two weeks. Anyone else have this problem during pregnancy? What did your doctor do for it? I’ve never taken medication for anything (except vitamins) so a bit anxious what might be suggested 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Got my blood work back from when I was 6weeks and showed I have hypothyroidism. I have my follow up appointment in two weeks. Anyone else have this problem during pregnancy? What did your doctor do for it? I’ve never taken medication for anything (except vitamins) so a bit anxious what might be suggested 
    Plenty of women have this issue. Depending on your levels, you may be prescribed synthroid (which needs to be taken on an empty stomach and no food/drink for 30 minutes after). If you’re borderline, it may be a wait and see issue. You’ll likely have blood draws each trimester. I’ve heard of babies being tested post birth. I would make sure they also tested your T3/T4 levels and not just your TSH levels

Both my husband and older son have hypothyroidism. It’s a fairly common problem and easily treated once you find the right medication dosage for you. 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    jenferlee82jenferlee82 member
    edited March 2019
    I have this - never had it until I got pregnant. My doctor put me on a small dose of Synthroid daily and my levels have gotten much better. It's perfectly okay to take and can be dangerous not to, as elevated TSH has poor success implications in pregnancy. I'd say try not to stress and do what they tell you to and everything will be okay! I haven't had any bad side effects from the drug or anything and baby looks perfectly healthy so far. :)

Edited because typos
  • Options
    Any other teachers struggling to stay patient? My nausea wasn't bad until this week and now I throw up every morning and have low level nausea all day. How do you deal with challenging kids on top of that? I have 2nd graders...
  • Options
    @cheznet OH MY GOD I teach grades 11 & 12, and I am so close to losing my shit on some of them. I have absolutely no patience for them right now. This happened with my last pregnancy, too. Silver lining, we'll have the summer off for about half the pregnancy!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hey, @dreka36 ! You'll probably get better results on your questions if you ask here instead of making a new thread every time!
  • Options
    Does anyone else have a negative blood type? I found out in December - after my miscarriage - that I'm B-. I received a shot of RhoGAM at that time, but it's still something always at the back of my mind.

I know that it shouldn't increase the risk of complications, but I know it can if I developed any antibodies. I'm still waiting on some blood results from yesterday's appointment, but yeah, I just keep thinking about how so many tiny things in our body have to be exactly right to carry a pregnancy full-term. It's mind-boggling!
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @meagan-t I am! I always thought my parents told me I was O- or whatever the one is you can give to everybody, but I’m A-. It isn’t something that the doctors even mention again after the Rho Gam shot, and I believe my one from my son is good til 2021, so I would try to not see it as a negative thing. No pun intended 😆
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    meagan-t said:
    Does anyone else have a negative blood type? I found out in December - after my miscarriage - that I'm B-. I received a shot of RhoGAM at that time, but it's still something always at the back of my mind.

I know that it shouldn't increase the risk of complications, but I know it can if I developed any antibodies. I'm still waiting on some blood results from yesterday's appointment, but yeah, I just keep thinking about how so many tiny things in our body have to be exactly right to carry a pregnancy full-term. It's mind-boggling!
    I’m O-. I’ve gotten many a rhogam shots (my kids are Rh+). It prevents sensitivities/antibodies from developing. You may show up as having a positive D antibody on your current blood work, which is caused by the shot. 

If you or anyone doesn’t know, rhogam can be given in your arm if you wish to avoid a shot in the butt. You’ll get it again at 28w and then post delivery (this one is only if baby is Rh+)
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @travelocctherapist I am hypothyroid, have been for about 10 years!  I take a daily dose of levothyroxine.  They upped my dose when I was TtC and just upped it again because my numbers were a bit high at 3.5, so I am on 125mg daily.  All should be just fine with baby and you and your dr will give you some meds if you need it!  
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:
    meagan-t said:

I’m O-. I’ve gotten many a rhogam shots (my kids are Rh+). It prevents sensitivities/antibodies from developing. You may show up as having a positive D antibody on your current blood work, which is caused by the shot. 

If you or anyone doesn’t know, rhogam can be given in your arm if you wish to avoid a shot in the butt. You’ll get it again at 28w and then post delivery (this one is only if baby is Rh+)
    Thank you for mentioning that antibody part! I was just looking at my results and it says I'm positive for D antibody on the indirect Coombs test and I was beginning to get worried (my doctor is closed for the day, so I was going to call tomorrow and ask about it).

I was offered the option of butt or arm, however I honestly preferred my butt. I had been stuck a lot that week and was sore on both arms already.

I'm so glad I'm not the only mom out here with a negative blood type. I'm trying not to be negative (pun totally intended) about any aspects of this pregnancy, so getting that reassurance helps! Thank you!
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    I'm O- as well and was told that I would need the shot but I believe mine is in the early 20s week mark. Should I have received one already and a second shot later? I'm 10 weeks right now. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    marbellie said:
    I'm O- as well and was told that I would need the shot but I believe mine is in the early 20s week mark. Should I have received one already and a second shot later? I'm 10 weeks right now. Thanks in advance!
    Nope! Unless you have bleeding, you’re good. I had one in January due to my CP.

It’s given at 28w on the chance that you go into labor or have bleeding. It’ll cover you until delivery, which is why it’s given again post delivery of a Rh+ baby. If you get it earlier than that point, it may not cover you until delivery, so 28w is the standard unless there is bleeding earlier on
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:
    marbellie said:

It’s given at 28w on the chance that you go into labor or have bleeding. It’ll cover you until delivery, which is why it’s given again post delivery of a Rh+ baby. If you get it earlier than that point, it may not cover you until delivery, so 28w is the standard unless there is bleeding earlier on
    Well crap. I had a CP in November and have had no shots (I honestly didn't even know my blood type, O-, until my first trimester blood work at my first prenatal appointment). My H is a positive blood type. Should I be worried? 💩💩💩
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    cmbt2 said:
    marbellie said:

Well crap. I had a CP in November and have had no shots (I honestly didn't even know my blood type, O-, until my first trimester blood work at my first prenatal appointment). My H is a positive blood type. Should I be worried? 💩💩💩
    Everything I read said that it’s 50/50 on whether or not one is given for a CP. I think my MWs are overly cautious on it since most women I know don’t get them for CPs

You were tested for antibodies at your maternity draw. If they haven’t called, I wouldn’t worry
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
  • Options
    steminist said:

@cheznet agreed. I teach in an alternative setting so I get extremely frustrated pretty much hourly. Now I'm just so tired. I literally threw something at a 19 year old today to make him look up. (paper, just paper)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi there!  Curious as to if anyone eats occasional sushi during their pregnancy?  From what I read, if it’s previously frozen it’s in the clear and to avoid more than 6oz of tuna a week.  I know that the conservative rule is a hard nope - but I’d rather go with the facts.  

Its deemed safe safe in the “expecting better” book and in some of the newer research I’ve read online.  I also don’t want to risk it if it really is harmful- so just wanted to hear what you all think!  

• Options
    @jane101757 Generally, if it is reputable restaurant and the fish is fresh, I would go ahead and eat it. Same with deli meat. If I see them slice it there and it hasn't been sitting in a tub for days, then I'm cool. For me, it's about the likelihood of getting sick. If I wasn't worried about food poisoning before, I probably won't be now. Some things, like soft serve, I do skip, because I have no way to know if it's clean, and even though I know the risk is miniscule, I would never forgive myself if I got sick and something happened to the baby. Honestly, just use your best judgement. People all over the world and throughout history have had healthy babies and not known what we know now.
  • Options
    Is anyone planning on taking a babymoon (or if you're a STM+, have you taken one in the past)?
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @meagan-t We didn’t with our first but we had gone to Europe just prior to getting pregnant. This time I’d really like to do a weekend away. We haven’t gone away just the two of us since our son was born 3 1/2 years ago
  • Options
    @meagan-t We didn't take one with our first. I wanted to preserve as much PTO as possible for after baby. This time though we're taking a vacation in May. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a babymoon as DS will be with us, but we didn't plan any vacations at all while TTC and that road ended up being longer than we'd hoped so I'm going for it now!
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    My husband is adamant that we will be taking a baby moon this time (our third).  Not sure when we will have time as I’m saving PTO for after baby but I’m sure he will figure out something.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get away to Arizona for a couple days around my birthday in late May, but right now it's still just a dream. I'm from Missouri, but my dad lives out there and there is a beautiful resort less than an hour from where he lives, so I'd love to make it a two-in-one trip! DH mentioned the other day that he is running a bit low on PTO, but he's usually one of those over-cautious types about that kind of thing, so I'm hoping we'd be able to swing it.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    The first time we did a cruise in May (also an Oct baby). This time, with me being in school, I don't think we'll get to do much. Might try to do a weekend somewhere just to get away and relax and leave DD with my mom.
  • Options
    meagan-t said:
    Is anyone planning on taking a babymoon (or if you're a STM+, have you taken one in the past)?
    We travel every August for our anniversary so I'm going to make it a combo babymoon/anniversary thing. We'll stick to either New England or Canada for it and will only be around 3 days (since we're saving up PTO).
  • Options
    For those of you on progesterone, when did your doctor say to stop? Are you going to wean yourselves or stop cold turkey? My doctor said 12 weeks, but I will still have some pills leftover so I might just take the rest until I run out.
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Options
    @elle-0409 I stopped at eight weeks, and he just had me stop cold turkey. I didn't have any problems stopping or notice any side effects.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    elle-0409 said:
    For those of you on progesterone, when did your doctor say to stop? Are you going to wean yourselves or stop cold turkey? My doctor said 12 weeks, but I will still have some pills leftover so I might just take the rest until I run out.
    I was told to take them for a total of 12 weeks. I’m asking next week on whether it’s actually meant to be until I hit 12 weeks, which is what everyone I know who has done them has been told
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @elle-0409 my doctor said to stop at 10 weeks.  That made me weirdly nervous so I took them till 11 weeks.  Yesterday was the first day I didn’t take them. 😳  

• Options
    marbellie said:
    meagan-t said:
    We travel every August for our anniversary so I'm going to make it a combo babymoon/anniversary thing. We'll stick to either New England or Canada for it and will only be around 3 days (since we're saving up PTO).
    We are planning to go to Canada for our trip! I think we are going in July (unless the flight prices change, then maybe early August). Sounds like we could just miss each other. Will you have to fly? My doctor will let me fly up to 34 weeks but I want to try to go earlier than that, because we plan active vacations with hiking and whatnot, and I don't want to be lugging a huge belly up and down mountains.
  • Options
    @elle-0409 one of the Drs said 12 weeks, mine said 10 weeks and my discharge orders say 11wks. And it will be cold turkey. I'm just going to take what I have and then be done (I think its like the night before 11wks I'd run out anyway)
  • Options
    @galentine Where in Canada are you planning!? Taking a trip to Seattle and up to Vancouver is on my bucket list!
  • Options
    @aprosch, we are looking at Banff. We are pretty outdoorsy and it looks like there is tons to do there!
  • Options
    @meagan-t we are going camping in May!  Palo Duro Canyon (Texas).  My parents are coming from Colorado and going to meet us there.  
  • Options
    Sinuses!! What are y’all taking? Dr said Claritin, Zyrtec and Benadryl are fine but none of it is working 😔 I have dr appt in morning so I’ll talk to her about it then but just looking for help today!!