July 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

2»

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• Options
    @hakele we just got the lillebaby carriers. I'm 5'7" and dh is 6'6". We tried them on and like them. 
  • Options
    runsoncoffeerunsoncoffee member
    edited February 2019
    I can't remember if I previously posted but I'm so obsessed with this carrier that I'll post it again anyway lol. I previously had a lillebaby and while it did offer good back support for standing/walking, I found it to be pretty bulky for me and almost impossible to sit in, which I needed to be able to do. I love, love the look of these carriers and they are so easy to use, plus comfy for sitting and offer plenty of support. 
    https://happybabycarriers.com/shop/happy-baby-carrier/ 

ETA I still baby wear my one year old (and on rare occasions my 2.5 year old) and am able to do so even while pregnant with this carrier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @hakele, I have a lillebaby and the back support is fantastic. We went to the aquarium last week and I wore by 21 lbs 1 year old around for several hours with very minimal discomfort. I also have an ergo which isn't quite as large, but I feel the lillebaby is better suited for older/larger kids. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    Is having the outward facing option a real benefit? I can imagine both: baby being more entertained, so easier to keep happy, and baby trying to grab and interact with everything, so maybe making it harder to get things done.
  • Options
    @fromcatstokids babies go through phases where they are feeling social or feeling fearful. When they are feeling social, having the outward facing option is nice and keeps them entertained. I really liked the Beco Gemini for this because you could convert the carrier easily. Some other carriers offer a side carry option instead of facing outward, but it can be hard on your hips. 
  • Options
    @fromcatstokids, we only use the outward option at this point. DS is 15 mos old, he won't tolerate being inward. He's arching his back and twisting constantly trying to see what's around. When I have him outward, he will be happy for hours just looking around. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    @fromcatstokids I personally don't care for the outward facing option. It never felt natural to me and neither of my kids seemed to care for it either. 
  • Options
    @strickland8052 I can't wait to use it! You can also change the straps so they criss cross at the back instead of having to use the buckle across your shoulders if you prefer. The insert and the heat were the big issues for me as well with the original and the 360...especially with a summer baby this time around. I'm so thrilled they made one that addresses both of these things! I can't wait to have a snuggly new baby in there without having to deal with the insert:)
  • Options
    I'm with @ccmama3. Never liked the outward carry either. I always felt like they were just dangling. Many carriers don't offer enough support for their hips in that position so definitely do your research.

When my boys went through the wanting to look around phase I wore them on my back. Much more comfortable for me. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @mamahmh2 - AGHHHH! You and your burnt orange Moby and that baby at the fair are SO CUTE I can't take it! Now I'm just not going to be able to wait until it is time to take wear this bebe to the fair with our toddler (and a beer).  :D 
  • Options
    @strickland8052 you’re too sweet!!! I feel cuter when I’m baby wearing 😉 and YES looking forward to fair season (soooo fun with kiddos) but even more, this mama needs a beer!! 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• Options
    @nopegoat I’m pretty sure that’s a Bjorn they are showing in the “don’t” picture. Another reason I hate those things. 

@indulgentgypsy you are sooo right! I felt like superwoman in my Moby! And they have so many cuter patterns now than they did a few years ago. 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• Options
    I know people have talked both, so I want to specifically ask: K'tan or Moby, which is easier? Which offers more carry options? Which is better?
  • Options
    nolemomma14nolemomma14 member
    edited March 2019
    @cindler I preferred the ktan because for the life of me I could not tie the moby wrap! So I liked that the ktan was also a wrap, but it’s pre tied, so much easier for me. I didn’t use it much last the first 2-3 months, so not sure about the different carries it offers. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @cindler I was intimidated by tying a real wrap and loved the K'tan. I also really liked that they had really simple instructions for wearing in different positions at different ages. I wore him in it almost exclusively until 4 months, then by 6 months I had to swap to my structured carrier because he needed to be secured better. My only downside to the K'tan is that you buy per your body size, so I could not share it with DH, but he did not really babywear until later with the structured carrier, and it wasn't often. 
  • Options
    Found a Moby for $10 on consignment! I'm thrilled! I've been an exclusive ergo mama since my first, but I've heard great things about Moby for newborns. Tried to put my 2yo in it but it pissed her off so I'll just wait until July.
  • Options
    @cindler you might also want to check out the Solly baby wrap. I've heard they are more supportive than the Moby/really good things about them in general. I personally didn't try a ktan, but wasn't a fan of moby. It was almost too stretchy? If you go with the moby, I agree with @Cbeanz on looking for one used! You should be able to find a good deal!
    I personally prefer ring slings for newborn days because I find them most supportive/easy to use, plus they transition well for an older baby too! A good brand for ring slings is Wildbird!
  • Options
    I've been eyeing the Ergobaby 360 air carrier ever since this thread. Just wanted to let everyone know that Zulily has it for $120 today (along with some good deals on other baby gear). :) 
  • Options
    @strickland8052 If I didn't already have the original, the 360, and the adapt then I would definitely have gotten the omni 360 cool air. Your post made me go look at them (they didn't have them yet when I bought my Adapt almost 2 years ago now). I love Ergos. I can't wait to try out my Adapt when baby gets here!
  • Options
    @esmababy2 here's the carrier thread. Lots of info and recs here. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I was gifted a (used) 360 and someone bought this https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/l-ll-baby-reg-eternal-love-ring-sling-in-heathered-dusk/1061007048?skuId=61007048&registryId=547216115 off our registry and it's coming Friday. As a FTM, I'm especially curious to try the Lillebaby out. STM+, what did y'all use to try out wraps before your first? I have 3 dogs but the smallest is 48 lbs., so 13 pounds over the max.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @greeneyedgirl12 Could you try a sack of flour or sugar? Is that weird?

I just looked at wrap reviews and picked one with my fingers crossed. It was the K'tan and worked out great. This time I scored second-hand Solly at a local shop after a mom friend praised hers that she is now carrying her second baby in, so again, no try-on.