July 2019 Moms

Placenta Previa

So I may be jumping the gun on my nervousness, but just had my first ultrasound (we are over 11 weeks in) and we ended up having a full on abdominal ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound. The tech said we have Placenta Previa (didn't specify the severity but I'm assuming complete judging from the pictures and measurements I saw) and said we will hear from our OB soon. Had to schedule an appt for the first week of January already to follow up! Please tell me there are other moms out there who have had this with previous pregnancies and it all turned out okay? 

Re: Placenta Previa

• I haven’t myself, but know a few who have. Some have corrected themselves during the pregnancy. Some meant a c-section at the end. Nothing overly concerning. Have the follow up and ask all the questions! But most importantly, rest and relax! 
  • I had a full previa at 20 weeks last time. I was on pelvic rest for four weeks and it resolved itself. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Lurking from August...but I had placenta previa my last pregnancy and by 24 weeks it had resolved itself. When the baby and uterus grows, often times the placenta will move out of the way as well. I was placed on pelvic rest and was told no high impact exercise but other than that it was just a waiting game. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I've read that it can resolve and I'm just going to hope that it does because there really isn't much else I can do. Did you ever notice any extra pain or pressure with it. I have a job that requires a fair amount of heavy lifting and walking a lot of steps. After I work I can definitely feel a level of soreness that I don't remember with my first pregnancy. Is it from the previa? Thankfully no bleeding has occurred. It's definitely reassuring to hear stories that it really does resolve itself.
  • It's too early to diagnose previa officially - the majority of the time the placenta moves up as the lower uterus develops. I'm wondering if maybe they saw that your placenta is centered right over the cervix and that's why the confidence? At any rate, if you do still have previa near term then sadly that does buy you a c-section.