July 2019 Moms
Options

Cars for bigger families

who here is adding #3+ ? Does anyone drive something other than a minivan? We just bought a Buick Enclave before I found out about the new baby. It has a third row and captains chairs. I’m wondering if I can make that work for 3 kids, or if we should start thinking about trading it in for a minivan? I realllllllly don’t want a van 😭😭
Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3

Re: Cars for bigger families

• Options
    We’re adding #3 and have a Chevy traverse. Same set up you described, captains chairs in the middle and third row. I think it’ll work pretty well for us. We will move our oldest to the third row, he will be almost 5 when this one is born. I feel like the captains chairs won’t make it to difficult to buckle and unbuckle him in the back. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 I think you have a great alternative to the minivan already, with captains chairs you pretty much have everything that a minivan offers, without the sliding door + I think GM makes some of the most comfortable rides.

A major strike against minivans for me is that they are built more like cars and the seats do not have the upright comfy positioning that you get with SUVs. It doesn't bode well for me for long car rides. 

I have a Honda Pilot and one thing I like about it, aside from the comfort, features and maneuverability, is that it seats 8, has latch connectors for 5, and you can put 3 carseats across (w/ latch) in the middle row. Certain trims also have the captains chairs available now too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a Nissan Pathfinder and am constantly driving around at least 4 kids. It doesn't have captain's chairs, but it has the 3rd row, seats 8 and has latch system for 5 (with 3 cat seats able to be installed across). It is similar to the Honda Pilot (which was the other vehicle we were looking at when we bought this). 

I don't think you need a minivan. As long as all your car seats fit I think what you have is perfect.
  • Options
    I saw a lady once with the third row set up. It was cool how she loaded the kids in the car. The oldest was in the back row and she kept half the back row folded down and she would pop the hatch and he’d climb in from the back. And she could easily help him buckle into his 5point seat in the back row. 
    If you have 3 rows, you don’t need a minivan. 
  • Options
    So for those with their oldest in the back, are they able to buckle themselves? The only drawback I see from having an SUV rather than a van, other than cargo space, is the ability to fold one of the captains chairs forward enough to get into the back to help buckle. I haven't tried crawling between the two seats with carseats in them, so I guess I should try that and see if I can get back there. @hakele, did the lady just lean over the third row to help buckle? I hadn't thought of that. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 she could just reach around from the side. It was a smaller SUV like the traverse. Where with the third row up, it wasn’t that deep in the back. So she just reached around where he climbed around. She had the baby in a carrier and could set him down in the back, too while she buckled him in.  It was so smart. I just had never thought of getting in the third row that way. It only works if the third row is a split fold. So my dad’s Explorer, it wouldn’t work as that was a 1 piece fold, but I think the newer ones are split fold. 
  • Options
    @hakele that’s a really good idea! I’ll have to try that when we move my oldest to the back. 

@ameliabedelia-2 my oldest can do the buckles himself, we just have to pull it tight. We will definitely have to do some trial runs to see the best way to get him in and out 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Slowly raises hand... I just want to say I LOVE my minivan!!!!! It's like a magical spaceship just for moms.  :D But I'm not here to change anyone's mind!

A good friend has her oldest (5) in the middle in the back seat and he can buckle himself. He is VERY responsible and has a little tool like this (https://www.amazon.com/Bucklebee-Buckle-Release-Children-Caregivers/dp/B017PU3OHI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1545683922&sr=8-3&keywords=car+seat+unbuckler) (gracious...I don't know how to link small link *sigh*) to let himself OUT of the car. He obviously understands to never use it any other time.