December 2018 Moms

Induction

I know I can't be the only one wondering this. I just spent a week in false labor and I'm extremely achy and exhausted from it which has me considering an induction at 39 weeks. If those symptoms continue, I'll be too physically exhausted to mother the way I need to. I'm 2cm dilated and baby is sitting so low that sitting in a chair is uncomfortable. What are the pros and cons of the induction and how likely will it be that the induction is successful? Also, I've tried just about every home remedy induction method, literally none of them did a thing- not even castor oil (which I got docs approval of first).

Re: Induction

• No advice here. Your a brave woman for trying castor oil. Too scared to ever do that!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• My advice is know it won’t last forever & stop stressing!  The last few weeks are hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • You do you.

I was induced at 40+1, had an epidural and got an episiotomy. Baby and I are both happy and healthy. The only con I can think of (besides the perineal stitches) is that crunchy moms might disapprove - but that’s not a concern because I don’t care about what others think of me. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • kwest2014kwest2014 member
    edited December 2018
    My sister in law used Castro oil as a way to jump start labor, or worked for her but she was having false labor 3 weeks prior and was around 2cm. You can try it, it might help but I dont know how effected it is for all woman. Good luck!

I have a schedule induction Monday at 7am 12/17, because I'm 4cm dilated and baby was already measured a week ahead when I had an ultrasound done at 35 weeks. I'm currently 39weeks+3. I feel like my legs are going to fall off, and he has been sitting low in my uterus since 35 weeks but contractions arent consistent and not as painful. This is my second pregnancy and definitely different than my first. 

• I am 39w2d. I've been making cervical changes and dropping since 35w. I was checked yesterday and I am 4cm dilated, 90% effaced, baby at 0 station. My doctor cannot believe that we haven't delivered yet. Is my uterus just lazy for not starting contractions? Doc has offered to induce next week. I am thinking about it too... 
  • To those mommas induced, were you able to walk around and change position during labor? That’s one of the major reasons I’m trying to avoid induction. Also I know that pitocin can make contractions more intense than normal. 
  • Erinka said:
    To those mommas induced, were you able to walk around and change position during labor? That’s one of the major reasons I’m trying to avoid induction. Also I know that pitocin can make contractions more intense than normal. 
    As long as I wasn't in pain meds I was able to move/change position most of the time. When I had the cytotec in they wanted me laying down on one side for the first hour (or maybe 2?) after it was inserted, but aside from that I had more freedom. I actually bounced on the ball for quite a while after we started pitocin and before I got pain meds.

As far as pitocin contractions vs regular, they might have been a little more intense sooner, but not crazy. With my first (spontaneous labor) I held out until I was 7/8 cm dilated before getting pain meds, with this kid (induced) I got it right around 4/5 cm. I can't say that my contractions were as bad as they were when I got the epidural with my first, but they were getting bad enough that I knew I'd want another epidural and didn't want to risk waiting too long (I almost didn't get it with my first!!), so I went for it earlier than I did with my first.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @erinka I was induced last time using pitocin and I was also able to walk and bounce on the ball. It is a bit more inconvenient because you have to drag the IV pole with you. I did have to be lying down initially while the cytotec was inserted overnight and when the folly bulb was placed in my cervix. The pitocin definitely intensified the contractions once the dosage was kicked up. I ended up needing it bumped up to 16 and at that point the contractions were right on top of one another.
  • Erinka said:
    To those mommas induced, were you able to walk around and change position during labor? That’s one of the major reasons I’m trying to avoid induction. Also I know that pitocin can make contractions more intense than normal. 
    I could only walk about before the epidural. My sequence was 
    1. Cytotec (oral)
    2. Epidural
    3. Pitocin
    So I didn't start laboring until well after the epidural (and catheter) were placed. Originally I wanted to move about and go a more natural route, but I changed my mind and decided that I would rather use all of the medication and just get it over with. I actually didn't really feel my contractions at all - we needed the monitor to tell us when I was contracting so the nurses could tell me when to push!
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • ErinkaErinka member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for all the info. My water broke about 5 hours ago and I’ve been having contractions now for an hour and a half. Headed to hospital birth center soon! 
  • @Erinka Congratulations!