April 2019 Moms
Options

Baby Shower Thread

Re: Baby Shower Thread

• Options
    lyse01lyse01 member
    edited December 2018
    @lilpotatomama my favorite part of DD’s bday (besides making the delish food) was the banner with all the watercolor vegetables. I’m 100% going to figure out how to use those again!

@saraleigh2 both the lunch and the afternoon tea party sound wonderful. And I need more curd in my life.

STM here but never got to have a shower with DD, who sent me to the hospital at 25 weeks. MIL offered but DD was in the hospital and I couldn’t wrap my brain around it, nor that DH’s female cousins/the majority of her guest list were mostly strangers (DH and I had been dating for just over a year and missed two of his family weddings in that time).

I desperately want to throw a beautiful, traditional party for this little one inviting all the women of the family. Not for the gifts, though anything offsetting expenses is appreciated, but because everything went so wrong last time and I’m still upset that I got cheated out of all the experiences that normally surround the birth of a beloved child. No one has offered, though, and if we do actually get married next month, it may be difficult to convince anyone else to host. Even though it’s gauche, I’m considering hosting it myself.
  • Options
    @lyse01I say go ahead and throw it yourself if no one offers. Your child is always worth celebrating so if no one will volunteer you're his or her best advocate. 💗

I registered through amazon. I don't know how amazon registries work- do all the gifts get sent to the registrant or do guests have an option of receiving the gift and bringing it to the shower? I ask because I've opened a number of baby shower gifts. The packages aren't labeled in any way and I have no way of knowing which are gifts and which are things I've ordered for myself. I think it would be nice to open the sealed packages when guests come to the shower, but it's not working out that way. And our baby shower is set to be Open House so if I don't know which package comes from whom then I'm not going to be able to know which ones to open. Is my best option to open what all gets sent to me and be prepared with Thank-you cards for my guests?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m a 4th time mom, but this baby was quite the surprise and so my youngest will be almost 9. We have nothing left. All was donated years ago. @jawhawkmom4 almost the same as you except although this is the boy, my other three are a girl and 2 boys. 

Some of my friends from law law school are having a shower/sprinkle for me. Multiple friends have told us to register so I guess I will do that at some point. 

• Options
    Hi! 

STM first boy. 

Are you having a shower or a sprinkle?
    We ar heaving a shower. A church friend asked if she could throw one. I asked if we could make it so that so that some non church friends can come too and avoid a second shower. 

First shower was 2 showers. But one of them was book themed where we asked for little books instead of cards. I loved it and we left with lots of great books. 

This is baby we have a few needs, I want glass bottles because I’m sick of plastics and them being declared safe and not safe all the time. Glass is. 

We need clothing. And a few newborn/small cloth diaper items. (We did cloth with our first but not until she was 6-8’weeks) I want to do cloth as soon as the diapers we snag from the hospital are gone. 

Baby doesnt have his his own space yet, so we are turning my corner of the room into that. Eventually I want his room to be outset space themed. Dd is hot airballoons and airplanes... so if they had to share I could mesh them together. so if the shower develops a theme it will be that. 

In my community we we like to celebrate each baby, I think people know that they are welcome without gifts and we just want to celebrate that baby is coming. If they do want to gift I love creative homemade things and I have. A registry of needs. 
  • Options
    STM, but a boy this time.

No shower or sprinkle since we saved everything from DD who will be 3 when this baby is born.  I'm an advocate of a shower for the first and maybe a sprinkle or small lunch for additional kids. I had a shower in my hometown, which is 4 hrs away, for DD. It was a catered lunch at my aunts golf club with family which was perfect.  And no games, I hate the games!

No registry because we only need clothes, bottles, and pacifiers. 
  • Options
    I'm a STM and this will be my 2nd girl so we really don't need much, and nobody has offered to throw one so I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe a sip and see after she's born
  • Options
    TTM.  Not planning or expecting a shower but my co-workers threw me a sprinkle for my 2nd.  I think my co-workers and I use every reason to plan a party and have cake though so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did something again this time around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    FTM. We are definitely having two showers - one with DH’s family and my mom’s side and another with just my dad’s side. I wanted to do one big one, but it is basically impossible to get all three sides in the same space. Between distance between my dad and mom’s locations, family drama (my mom and dad split when I was 4, but act like it wasn’t almost a quarter century ago - there was so much drama the day before my wedding because they set each other off), and the fact that both my families are huge, it just wasn’t going to work. It does mean that DH and I get to spend more time with each group and puts the traveling on us vs family (luckily we’re used to the 6 hour drive by now). 
  • Options
    I'm a STM, but DD1 is 8 y/o... this LO was quite a surprise... We have literally purged ALL things baby/toddler over the past 2 years.. The only thing we kept was her crib. So needless to say, friends and family are all excited and planning a shower to celebrate this little bundle.. &frankly I'm cool with it because I won't have to buy everything.. 
    DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • Options
    STM and DD will be almost 3 when this peanut comes along. We are not having a shower or sprinkle because we have everything we need but I also know that my parents and grandparents are getting us some newborn clothing if it's a little boy and stocking up on newborn diapers right away. We had 2 showers with DD, one for each side of the family and they were fun but I think I preferred the one with my in-laws, it was a bbq and super chill. We actually had a keg and had couples come over so it wasn't all females with cheesy games, everyone had a blast.

• Options
    Hey Ladies!

Wondering are you sending out thank you cards or thank you post cards for your baby shower? I'm debating... which to send.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Edited* Omg this is an old post that I think I already posted on. Ugh I don’t have my head screwed on today. Ignore everything I just said 
  • Options
    NP -- I thought I would resurrect this old post instead of starting a new one about baby showers...
  • Options
    @avidlyuks36 I’ll write thank you notes and because I see everyone being invited or have access to their work mail box I am not using the post office. It’s $0.55 per letter now. :/
  • Options
    I still send formal thank you cards by mail for family and I can drop them off in person for work colleagues.
  • Options
    @avidlyuks36 we are doing regular thank you cards, but I’ve seen/gotten cool postcard thank yous for shower gifts before. We actually just ordered our thank yous last night off of Amazon because we’ve gotten a couple gifts already and writing thank you notes is something I can do from the couch while DH does all the real labor in our baby prep. 
  • Options
    I will do regular thank you cards. Sending out a generic one isn't super personal, IMO.
  • Options
    I'm doing regular thank you cards. I'm old school! 
  • Options
    My friend in Montana mailed me a bunch of thank you cards that she embossed herself, so I am using those. Although I am going the cheaper route of hand delivering the ones to people I see often. 
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So, my friend is throwing me a shower but I pretty much insisted she do it at my house, which has more space, plus then I won’t have to schlep everything around after.  I love having gatherings at my place because it really has a good party layout, so I hope I wasn’t being too pushy!

• Options
    STM. My first is a boy, this one is a girl. We are not having a shower or sprinkle bc I kept everything. However, we are having a sip and see. No one is obligated to bring gifts, but people have asked what we need. I said diapers and bottles and created a small registry for clothes. 
  • Options
    So my MIL and SIL was throwing me a shower on the tenth but we just got the bad news that she has surgery for a brain tumor with a prognosis of a year or so. This is devastating and I'm obviously assuming the shower is cancelled but I don't want to ask because noone should be worrying about me. This kinda just leaves everything up in the air as my own mother would like to take over but we dont know what is appropriate. Do I sound selfish? I'm really not trying to be selfish I'm devasted for my SO and his family 
  • Options
    @stefanielyn1991 I second what @lyse01 said and also want to emphasize that you’re not selfish!

I think that finding some way to have the party and allow your MIL & SIL and your SO’s family attend generally may actually be a nice thing — especially if it’s not really an “all about you” event but more just a celebration of life and family. With the current situation that they are facing, finding joy is probably a helpful thing to do. 
  • Options
    My sprinkle was yesterday. It was only our immediate families and my best friends so it was small. And I was still overwhelmed by the generosity. 
  • Options
    What did everyone buy for the person who organized your shower? Mine is next this coming Sunday and my best friend is throwing it but now my mom is super involved. No idea what kind of thank you gift I should get them for throwing this. My best friend is blowing money left and right on this thing so I really want to show her how much I appreciate all the work and money she has spent.
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname I wracked my brain about this on the weekend as well since one of my coworkers threw me an awesome little shower today. I ended up getting her a tote and a couple of cute little gifties from the book store gift section that she really liked and was surprised to even get :)
  • Options
    I have never heard of anything but a thank you note for the shower thrower... that’s a thing? 
  • Options
    @kbirchtree yep, apparently gifts for your shower hostess are very necessary! I just learned about it and have been struggling. One of my good friends but I still don’t know what to get her. Huge source of stress at this point. 
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    @kbirchtree This is news to me, too. Oops.
  • Options
    @kbirchtree + @rennie1108 News to me as well. My mom threw my shower though, so I'll give her a grandson in return? lol. Maybe I will give her a little something, now that I know that gifts for the thrower are a thing. My work is also throwing me a shower though and there is no way that every member of my department are getting their own little gift. Thank you cards in this situation are just going to have to suffice. 
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm with @cabearit. Our moms threw my sprinkle, so they get my undying love/affection and grandkids. 
  • Options
    I agree - I threw my sister's and my sister threw mine.  I'd say we're even.  If I had one from someone outside my family maybe I'd give them a thank you card, but sometimes I feel like gift giving is totally out of control. 

Maybe I should save this for my UO this week.  You're expected to give favours at weddings and parties when guests bring gifts, or kids' birthday parties - don't get me started on the loot bags these days.  It just seems like an even swap, so what's the point?
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    100% agree @mermaidca. I also think it may be a regional/friend group thing.
  • Options
    I also agree @mermaidca do I need to write a thank you card for someone writing me a thank you card? At what point does it stop?!
  • Options
    I went to Bath and Body Works and got some shower gel and lotions. And wrote a note that said thanks for "showering" baby __ with love! 
  • Options
    @jayhawkmom4 That is actually a really good idea, I may have to steal it!